Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: D9400 service menu stuck on  (Read 2081 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
D9400 service menu stuck on
« on: June 24, 2015, 04:08:26 pm »
D9400 service menu stuck on...

monitor powers up with the blue text for the service menu stuck on the screen. (no white background) with the G2 option highlighted and flashing

The monitor control pad seems inoperable... pressing buttons seems to do nothing.

:dunno

EDIT: D9400...sorry did it on the road with my phone.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:29:18 am by lilshawn »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
Re: D9200 service menu stuck on
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
sounds like a spiked ic-try holding menu button on power up

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
Re: D9400 service menu stuck on
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:33:43 am »
EDITED to fix it's a d9410 not a 9200. did the post with my phone whilst on the road.

I tried holding the OSD button on powerup, as well as OSD+menudown to try and bring up the service menu with no change.

has anybody ripped the rom data out of the small 8 pin ROM for this monitor? It's probably all it needs.

EDIT:

i read in the wells gardner trouble with thread and ed mentioned with a 9200 you can just pop in a blank 24lc04/08 chip and it will re write it. apparently this isn't the case with this 9400. iv'e written all 0's and all f's to the chip and it dumps garbage in. screen stays blank and never comes "up" (have the original bin saved) i have a chassis from a 9800 with the same cpu chip...i'll be swapping it out to see...

EDIT2

no change, still the same. i rewrote the original bin to the chip and the screen comes on still the same with the service menu on. writing a blank chip results in the same black screen with garbage resulting in the rom. (different from the normal garbage (alternating 47 00's) I've left the monitor for a few minutes to be sure.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:55:24 am by lilshawn »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:39:27 am »
i think the only way you are going prove this fault is to transplant a known working ic from another chassis

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
transplanted the following from a former working D9800 that had a tube explode:

the OSD chip on the neck board. (nebulav2)
the Video amp on the neck board. (LM1269)
the main CPU eeprom chip (nebula microcontroller IC701)
I've swapped out the 24LC08 serial rom with a new chip programmed with the data from the old chip and also inserted blank.

it still remains.

there has to be some bad data in the 24LC08 causing this. it's all that is left.

I did hear back from a tech at wells gardner. aparently a fix is to hold the 2nd and 3rd buttons and tap the menu button repeatedly.  :dunno tried but it still doesn't work.

majik_sheff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2016, 01:16:57 pm
  • CRT Tech since 2001. TTL Junkie since 1985.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:52:54 pm »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a quick suggestion for you to check if you are still looking for an answer.  I once encountered this same issue.  It turned out that I had the remote plugged into P301 and the rotation coil plugged into P701.

I have no idea why WG decided it was a good idea to have the same connector for these two very different functions and then to place them within inches of each other.