Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Maxx Emerald 2 issues  (Read 5267 times)

geforcefly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 04:48:57 pm
Megatouch Maxx Emerald 2 issues
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:24 pm »
I recently got a Megatouch machine for free, not working, (originally an XL Platinum and upgraded to a Maxx Emerald 2), and the original (proprietary) motherboard was dead and I tried everything.  So I hooked up an old Intel 810 board and the machine booted (which is how I found out it was a Maxx Emerald 2).  This board obviously doesn't have the IO board slot (coining it up is impossible) but the touchscreen works.  Is there a hidden keyboard combination I could use to put the game into service mode so that I could set it to freeplay?  If there's no way to do it, that's ok, since I would have another use for it.
Machines: GT! Fore Complete / SSB 2007 (manually switched), SF Rush: The Rock (dedicated), hacked Street Fighter II / 60 in 1 (manually switched) (started as a Space Duel and converted a gazillion times), Megatouch Maxx Sapphire 2

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:29 am
Re: Megatouch Maxx Emerald 2 issues
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:55 pm »
How is it working if the IOboard isnt connected? The IOboard holds the key, and without the key it should not be booting into the game. If you are indeed in the game and need to get into opsetup to change to freeplay you could backdoor into terminal with root access and bind opsetup.so to a game like hoopjones.so . This will launch the operator menu so you can temporarily get in and change to freeplay. You will have to reboot or unbind to play that game after your done with operator menu.

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:13:43 am »
It's one of those versions that has the security key on the hard drive's firmware (it started life as an XL Platinum).  The original motherboard was a Unicorn Socket 7 unit that wouldn't boot.  It would power on, the fans would spin, and otherwise do absolutely nothing (tried known working power supplies with voltages in spec, CPUs, and RAM).  The 810 board that I tried (a DFI CW35) would start the software and get me into the game menus, but it had no sound through the motherboard audio connector (it's possible that the sound chip is incompatible or muted in the settings).  How would I backdoor into the terminal to get into operator mode?  I'm not so keen on my Linux skills so I thought I'd ask and find out how to get this working.  After that, fixing the horizontal width is the only other issue I have with this machine (the horizontal width control is broken and maxed out), but the thought of working on a CRT for me is a recipe for disaster.
Machines: GT! Fore Complete / SSB 2007 (manually switched), SF Rush: The Rock (dedicated), hacked Street Fighter II / 60 in 1 (manually switched) (started as a Space Duel and converted a gazillion times), Megatouch Maxx Sapphire 2

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:55:43 am »
If it has a LILO bootloader this method should work to back door in with root access.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138908.msg1462890.html#msg1462890

If you manange to get that far i can guide you on how to bind shared object files to other shared object files ( ie .so ) or you can look up binding files in linux. google is your friend.

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:05:59 pm »
I'm having trouble getting any farther than the actual bootloader menu. I have a boot prompt and the only command that works is merit-linux.

Edit : I got to the console but inputting mount -o remount,rw / gives me an error. I may have to go to plan b: using a Linux live CD to do this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:18:11 pm by geforcefly »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
Not sure why your having trouble. Were you able to get to LILO bootloader screen? If so, type linux init=/bin/bash   that should get you to a bash prompt where you can type mount -o remount,rw / then passwd and then change it and fiollow the other steps.

If that doesnt work, you can try a live cd and see if you can just rename hoopjones.so to something else and then rename opsetup.so to hoopjones.so and see if that works.

FYI, The .so files will be in usr/local/lib/merit/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:52:36 pm by mahkeymike »

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:55:48 am »
Okay, I've made it so that hoopjones will go to the operator screen. But there's no way to get there when I have no credits to start the "game."

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:39 am »
Ok try this, rename idle.so to something else, then change opsetup.so to idle.so and just wait for the idle screen to get triggered. That should do it.

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:02:04 am »
Okay, it worked. Now I just have to find a motherboard that has a sound card compatible with the Megatouch software (since it gives me an error on startup. USB sound cards don't work either), since the only thing I don't have is any sound.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:04:00 pm by geforcefly »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:45:18 pm »

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »
All my 810 boards have 3 PCI slots. I have many sound cards that I could try as well, so long as the software doesn't just look on the motherboard (it says "Sound card is i810 chipset" .) Should none of them be compatible I will get the CMI8738 card.

geforcefly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 01:04:11 am »
This is what I see on screen right before the screen goes dark as the Megatouch software starts up.  It does NOT matter what soundcard is plugged into a PCI slot (it shows "sound card is i810 chipset" no matter what, even when the onboard sound is disabled!).  Otherwise it plays beautifully and is extremely fast with virtually no loading times (the CPU is a Celeron 1.0GHz Coppermine on the CW35 and a Celeron 1.3GHz Tualatin on a TriGem Lomita (HP) board).