Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: astro fighter repair  (Read 1537 times)

skern

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2015, 07:56:33 pm
  • need help fixing 1980 astro fighter, cocktail vers
astro fighter repair
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:46:06 pm »
Im trying to restore an astro fighter, its the cocktail version fromm1980. Everything works except the display. I can still play the game just can't see what's going on. The fuses appear to be good. I was thinking of switching out the tv for a 1991 emerson that i have. It fits  in but the connections dont match. Im wondering if there is a way to connect the new tv or if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this. If its the tubes i wondering if i can take them out of the new tv and put them into the old one. Any advice would be appreciated! The new tv only has 4 wire plug but the old one has five (see pictures i dont know the names) is there a way around connecting this? I have the manual  but i dont understand  it.

skern

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2015, 07:56:33 pm
  • need help fixing 1980 astro fighter, cocktail vers
Re: astro fighter repair
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »
Picture of the old connection

andrewsm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2015, 06:22:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
Hi. The four pin plug is the deflection coils on the tubes neck. You can sometimes switch them round to the other one but picture may be affected badly. Might be best to carefully remove the whole assembly from the tube and swap to other tube but watch for the deflection angles. Look at both tubes and they should be similar in shape. The Astro fighter boards have RGB outputs plus sync which can be fed to another RGB monitor or combined to provide composite for B/W monitor.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:20 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:45:31 am »
you might think about just fixing whats in it... get a pic of the chassis or look for a sticker on the tube with the model