Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: new frontend F.E.E.L.  (Read 46790 times)

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:15:56 am
Re: new frontend F.E.E.L.
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2015, 12:46:09 am »
Maurizio, has the "lock menu" feature just been implemented?
I remember you talk about that and how to implement in a smart way, but i am not aware of the following developments...

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:48 am »
I found out that XNA 4 requires a pixel shader 2 or more capable video card.. which in turn means cutting out all Radeon 9xxx from compatibility list: unacceptable for any CRT and old tech lover like me

Well, that's a good reason, question is how many people are still using such old cards when X300 we can get for 2 USD.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2015, 10:58:19 am »
ATI series 92XX are definitely in use in mamecabs being that most of the time a good P4 with AGP slot can run almost all 2D games MAME offers.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2015, 05:50:17 am »
Yeah, ArcadeVGA if I remember correctly is one of them. Anyway I was just curious why NET 3.5/XNA 3.1 instead of NET 4.0. Now I know that XNA 4.0 is even still required to function.

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2019, 05:51:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 05:59:12 am »
Maurizio, has the "lock menu" feature just been implemented?
I remember you talk about that and how to implement in a smart way, but i am not aware of the following developments...
Sorry Marco, I don't remember this.. what do you mean with "menu lock"?
Anyway the simplest way to disable menus is to remove menu open key association in feel.ini.. which is possible already.

Let me know thank you ! ;)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"

F.E.E.L. - FrontEnd (Emulator Launcher) development & support
http://feelfrontend.altervista.org

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:24 am »
Yeah, ArcadeVGA if I remember correctly is one of them. Anyway I was just curious why NET 3.5/XNA 3.1 instead of NET 4.0. Now I know that XNA 4.0 is even still required to function.
Indeed.. Microsoft has been quite messy in .NET framework version management (v4.0 is definitely not a v3.5 update, which instead is a v.2.0 update :dizzy: ), so nothing is really clear to end users.. sometimes even to developers :lol
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2015, 07:30:32 am »
No, i was not asking for a new feature: i remember that the menu lock (the possibility to scroll the game list only) was discussed in another forum and from your words i interpreted that it was still there... keep the great work up!

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2015, 06:09:42 am »
dr.prodigy is it possible to map certain function to two keys for example map RUN game to button and keyboard press?

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »
Nope currently you can map only a single command key to a specific function.
Maybe I'll implement multiple assignments in the future (you're not the first to ask this)  ;)

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2015, 02:48:06 pm »
Ok, I understand. Would be nice to remap certain function to keyboard and stick.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2016, 05:09:57 pm »
I've (almost) decided to move from XP x32 to 7 x64 and naturally new configuration is based on latest groovymame, latest crt driver and of course latest FEEL. Problem is that annoing crash that was on XP (which actually newer fully dissapears but I gave up, after all You spend a lot of time on this) it's still there. Fresh windows 7 install, fully patched NET 3.5, FEEL installed and configured from the beginning. I know it's sad and it's shame to post this. Really nobody reported this ?  :banghead:

I've traced this a bit so far it only happens when I run game that switch resolution during play either automatically or manual (yes this can be done by switching views in mame, Air Rescue and Backfire)

Another problem - when game uses exact the same rosolution and frequency as FEEL then quitting game results white screen (the very same all the time noticed as short flash). Good example is Armor Attack run in 640x480@59,981. Sometimes FEEL will crash, sometimes works in background and I can even choose blindly other game.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:43:50 am by haynor666 »

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
Hi hay, always nice to hear from you.. even if you're not always carrying good news!! :embarassed: :laugh2:

I don't really (really!) have good suggestions for your case.. lots of people (hundreds to thousand est. users) are using FEEL both on XP and 7 with no notable graphics issues.. they've reported good working with almost any possible version of mame (even "heavily modded" ones), although I must admit I don't have enough users on groovy, which btw is quite "aggressive" in managing video modes.
I've been reported about some issues in resolution changes similar to yours only on some "weird" emulators (1-2 cases upon almost 100 tested systems) but the average user shouldn't care about them.
I'll need to make a full test session with groovy to work it out.. I'll let you know.

Anyway, in my and other users' tests, XP 32bit + Radeon + CRT emu drivers is still the best stack for arcade-cabs (or cab-like, as in your case :) ), even if I am currently looking for setting up a new PC with 7 (moving my cab to a "newer" PC - a luscious core2duo!! :laugh2: ), as it is very well supported by FEEL (I myself develop on it).
Win8 and 10 as well are, so they say (I don't use 'em).

Sticking to 7, be sure to use a MS "stock" installation (there's a lot of badly assembled install + crack ISO around on p2p sources), and don't forget to fully patch Windows first of all, otherwise you'll experience frequent explorer.exe crashes (sorry, it looks like FEEL's fault, but instead it's something in the stack 7->.net->xna, not really related to FEEL code). After a full win update you should be good to go with no more errors (this has been confirmed by a lot of users).

Even focus losses like yours, occasionally occurring (more upon FEEL in win autostart) have already been analyzed and managed in the past (in fact there's no more reports about them). But if you keep experiencing this I can possibly add some more accurate logic for re-gaining control after emu termination.
Let me know ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:16:45 pm by dr.prodigy »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2016, 05:42:28 am »
Problems are 100% connected to groovymame behaviour. Right now there is active dev. so for some time I hold on. We will see how this will look in next 2 months.

One problem that might cause this is - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148586.0.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:58:29 am by haynor666 »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2016, 09:30:12 am »
Some progress - with device reset applied to grovymame 170 and latest driver plus beta 7 VMMaker right now I receive error "The GraphicsDevice must not be null when creating new resources" when I run game that switch resolution during game. Probably it will take some time to fully examine and fix those problems but at least running game with the same resolution as F.E.E.L does not produce white screen when exiting game.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:56:01 am by haynor666 »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2016, 06:34:42 am »
After some new CRT emu drivers it seems nothing will change so I have a question - how many people are using new CRT driver with new tools and F.E.E.L on windows 7 x64? Could You ask user on Your forum?

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
Hi Haynor, I've been away for some time, sorry.. But still alive and kicking ;)
Honest I didn't have much time to test with GM, but until they find a good fix I'd suggest you to keep using plain mame, helped by peculiar ini files for each game (this can be achieved very well with VMMaker, delivered with CRT emudrv) .

About typical setup with 15khz screens, I always suggest win xp and old CRT drivers, cause It's usually lighter, more reliable and easier in 15khz modes, and usually better supported by all sw around.

Talking statistics, the largest part (say 90% or more) of feel win7 users use it in weecades etc. so with hires monitors. No CRT emu drivers there in other words.
The other ones didn't report any notable video bug (apart from some very "bad behaving" emus) , but I must admit I don't know any of them using groovymame.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:57:41 pm by dr.prodigy »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2016, 08:45:53 am »
Sadly XP and probably 32 bit platform soon will be abandoned by mamedev so for CRT users with groovymame can now rely on 7 x64 and futher.

Due those problems I decided last time install XP x32 (if mame 171 will be compatible). Probably next year I will not have such option :/

Erzak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2017, 10:25:49 pm »
Hi,
Just setting up software on y new cabinet and trying F.E,E,L,  I can't figure out how to make it so that my joystick will move thru the menu list of games.  The only thing that works are the arrow keys on the keyboard, and they aren't mapped to anything on my control panel.  I'm using two Utilmarc U360s for joysticks, and they go into USB and show up as joysticks in Windows.  I've tried looking in the .ini files and not found anything that works.

Thanks,
Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:07 am »
Hi erzak!
given that the joystick is being recognized by windows (looks like so), it's quite simple: stop Feel, then go into Feel.ini file and you'll find:

- Use_joystick parameter => set to 1

- Command settings for lists and menus (up, down, left, right, menu_up, menu_down, etc..) => set them to joy_up, joy_down etc.

For the latter point, you should find all the relevant values into file's comments.
Then restart Feel and you should be good to go! :)

Let us know, thank you!

Inviato dal mio ONE E1001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2017, 10:41:46 am »
So in the fee.ini file, I found a line that says:
"use_joypad   0"

and then further down, after the keyboard codes, there are JoyPad codes such as JoyUp, JoyDown, etc. listed.

So if I change the first line to "use_joypad   1", and make changes such as "menu_up  JoyUp", etc. that should do the trick?

I'm at work at the moment, so will have to wait until this evening to test it out.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I like the look/feel of this FE so far, I'm using an old Pentium 4 with WinXP so it doesn't do too well with HyperSpin, GameEx, etc.

Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2017, 11:14:04 am »
Exactly Eric, that's it..

Ps: glad you like it.. your P4 will be more than good to go! ;)

Let me know how it goes..!

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2017, 12:03:26 am »
I got it working!  Then figured out how to re-build the game list after adding more ROMs to MAME, and away we go.  Still need to learn how to add video or still clips to the game list, unsure if that's done in MAME or in F.E.E.L.?

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2017, 10:24:06 pm »
Okay, a few more questions:

1) What format do video previews need to be in?  I downloaded one sample video (Elevator Action), added it to mame\video, and when I select that game in the list I see a message saying that the video can't be played.  I downloaded still clips and put them in mame\snap, and they show up just fine.

2) To make FEEL auto-start when Windows boots, do I just just drop a shortcut to FEEL in the Startup folder, or is there a different/better method?

3) I added a mame/marquees path and dropped in a few marquee artwork files (left them zipped) and they don't appear when that game is launched.  I got them to show up somehow in an earlier version of MAME, when I wasn't using a frontend at all.

4) Not necessarily FEEL specific, but is there a version of Tyrian (or OpenTyrian) that runs under MAME?  I know there's a Windows version out there, but would be nice to have a version that will launch from the FE.

Thanks,
Eric

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2017, 12:46:09 am »

1) What format do video previews need to be in?  I downloaded one sample video (Elevator Action), added it to mame\video, and when I select that game in the list I see a message saying that the video can't be played.  I downloaded still clips and put them in mame\snap, and they show up just fine.
Any video format supported by windows media player.

2) To make FEEL auto-start when Windows boots, do I just just drop a shortcut to FEEL in the Startup folder, or is there a different/better method?
It's the best method. You can even replace the win shell with the frontend, bit I am not prone to suggest that.

3) I added a mame/marquees path and dropped in a few marquee artwork files (left them zipped) and they don't appear when that game is launched.  I got them to show up somehow in an earlier version of MAME, when I wasn't using a frontend at all.
It's likely that the layout you selected does not include marquees, or you have not specified the marquees path to the frontend.

4) Not necessarily FEEL specific, but is there a version of Tyrian (or OpenTyrian) that runs under MAME?  I know there's a Windows version out there, but would be nice to have a version that will launch from the FE.
I dont know.

FEEL is a great frontend. Now it's also opensource ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:48:07 am by baritonomarchetto »

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2017, 11:36:23 pm »
Okay, got the marquee issue figured out.  I

Moved on to getting Visual Pinball to work with FEEL.  I have Visual Pinball 9.x running on this PC already, and the one table I have works when I load and launch it from Visual Pinball.  I added the correct path and executable name to the vpinball.ini file in FEEL, built the game list, the table shows up, but when I try to launch it I just get a message saying "launching <name of table>" and nothing happens.

Is there something that I'm missing?  Is there an example and/or guide for configuring vpinball?  Should I be trying to use Vpinmame?

Thanks,
Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »
Sorry, been out.. Hope you're doing fine!

About your question.. I can't really give you a complete explanation on how to run a specific emulator.. Though I'm sure a lot of people are running vpinball from FEEL with no issues.

Basically you just need to find out (experimenting on command prompt) the right command line to start it.
Once you have it, it's pretty simple to configure FEEL to run it for you automatically ;)

As far as I know, you won't need vpinmame anyway.

.. Let us know how things are going!

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
So I have been making progress in getting things configured.  I got Sega and SNES emulators added, and through some experimentation got them working well. 

Pinball continues to give me issues.  Have not done much else with Visual Pinball, but was playing with Future Pinball this weekend.  Through trial and error, I got the command lines figured out to launch and play a table.

For example, this will launch the table "sci-fi classic" and then exit Future Pinball once you quit the table.
"c:\future pinball\future pinball.exe" /open "C:\future pinball\tables\sci-fi classic.fpt" /play /exit

That part works fine from F.E.E.L., but with two issues:

1) Once the pinball table loads (in fullscreen mode), I have to click the left mouse button to get focus on the pinball table.  Until I do that, none of the controls will do anything, so even though the game is fullscreen and that's all that's visible on the screen, it must be in the background to some other process.

2) When I quit the table, Future Pinball exits, but F.E.E.L. isn't restored as the main app.  The screen resolution is correct (low) for F.E.E.L., but I see the task bar, and other Windows elements.  If I have any other apps open, such as a file explorer, I see them.  The mouse cursor is set to the small/nearly invisible size and moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor normally.  So this makes me think that F.E.E.L. is running but somehow in the background.  If I hit my exit key followed by Enter, it drops me back into Windows and the resolution goes to my default Windows resolution.

I've tried playing with some of the settings in the .ini files (FEEL and fpinball) and haven't figured this out yet.  Any thoughts?  Is there a way to send a mouse click from F.E.E.L., after the commandline is called?

I'm going to do some reading about Future Pinball in the forums, etc. as well.

Thanks,
Eric

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2017, 09:40:13 am »
A further update reg. pinball.  I got the command line and arguments figured out for Visual Pinball, and F.E.E.L. does launch it now, but it does not put the pinball emulator in front/focus, so have to alt-tab to get to it.  I tried the free version of GameEx and it works fine for both Future Pinball and Visual Pinball, using the same command lines, so I have to assume that it's something related to F.E.E.L. and how it is running the emulators and handling windows, etc.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:11 am »
Tried to start F.E.E.L. last night and an error box popped up that said: "EXECUTION ERROR Change Resolution Failed: aborting"  If I go into the cfg file and switch off the auto resolution change option, it starts fine, but then occupies a tiny little corner of my screen.  I didn't (knowingly) make any software changes to this PC.  Has anyone seen this before and know how to resolve it?
Thanks,
Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »
Hi erzak, I've been offline for some days.. Now I'm from mobile, I hope I'll be able to answer to your questions today / tomorrow..
Hold on, see ya soon! :)

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2017, 04:25:49 pm »
A further update reg. pinball.  I got the command line and arguments figured out for Visual Pinball, and F.E.E.L. does launch it now, but it does not put the pinball emulator in front/focus, so have to alt-tab to get to it.  I tried the free version of GameEx and it works fine for both Future Pinball and Visual Pinball, using the same command lines, so I have to assume that it's something related to F.E.E.L. and how it is running the emulators and handling windows, etc.
FEEL doesn't do anything so "esotic".. it just start an external process, remaining "frozen" in the meanwhile.. on the other hand VP when started opens a few windows altogether, so it's quite a "strange beast" :)
Anyway, I need to test this a little.. I've got VP installed on my arcade cabinet and in the past I've always been running it with no issues.. but being sincere I've not played it for quite a long while so maybe we could be facing some small regression..
I'll go test it and let you know if I find sth.. thank you ;)

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »
Tried to start F.E.E.L. last night and an error box popped up that said: "EXECUTION ERROR Change Resolution Failed: aborting"  If I go into the cfg file and switch off the auto resolution change option, it starts fine, but then occupies a tiny little corner of my screen.  I didn't (knowingly) make any software changes to this PC.  Has anyone seen this before and know how to resolve it?
Thanks,
Eric
Well, this basically depends on:
- used layout resolution (a lot of the provided ones in the installation zip file are 640x480, but other, even lower resolutions, are bundled)
- windows supported resolutions
If they don't match, you'll end up with such error.

It's really weird to see such errors coming from nowhere (I mean if you haven't made any remarkable change).. but, from what you say (when you disable auto-res, you end up with a tiny UI), it seems you're running FEEL at a very low resolution comparing to your screen's optimal one.

Are you using an LCD screen? Maybe it doesn't support the low resolution your current layout is based on (for instance, if you've gone under 640x480, that's for sure).

If it's so, apart from fixing the issue itself, you'd better move to a higher resolution layout (eg. 1024x768, or even more.. find 'em on FEEL website) to take advantage of your screen and show more information.

Let me know! :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:45:07 pm by dr.prodigy »

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2017, 12:09:34 am »
I got it working again by changing my desktop resolution down a notch.  Only thing I can figure is that the highest resolution wants to use a lower refresh rate than the next notch down.  I don't remember changing my desktop resolution, but who knows.  I also downloaded a higher resolution MAME layout, and it looks much nicer!

Still have issues with pinball, but for the moment I'm using FEEL for arcade/console games and PinballX for pinball.  I'd prefer to have one front end for all games, but this is workable in the meantime.  Let me know if you figure anything out reg. pinball.

Thanks!
Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2017, 02:18:11 am »
I got it working again by changing my desktop resolution down a notch.  Only thing I can figure is that the highest resolution wants to use a lower refresh rate than the next notch down.
Uhmmm.. Can't really figure out why..
When Feel is in full screen mode, and set to change resolution, it looks at its current layout x*y size, and asks Windows for a resolution change for it, but without asking for a specific refresh rate.
Windows on its side should have, among its supported modelines (which vary according to present video card and drivers, monitor, etc.), a matching result. If it's so, the change can happen and the refresh rate is set by Windows to the relevant one. Otherwise you receive that error.
That's why it seems so strange to me! Feel doesn't deal with refresh rates..
Which Windows version do you use? Monitor? Video card?

I don't remember changing my desktop resolution, but who knows.  I also downloaded a higher resolution MAME layout, and it looks much nicer!
Okay so I assume you're on a LCD.. For sure 640x480 res is perfect for Crt arcade monitors (in fact it's there for them) but on nowadays monitors it sure isn't the best choice.. and not even the second best :)

Still have issues with pinball, but for the moment I'm using FEEL for arcade/console games and PinballX for pinball.  I'd prefer to have one front end for all games, but this is workable in the meantime.  Let me know if you figure anything out reg. pinball.

Thanks!
Eric
I'll sure let you know if I find something, thank you very much for sharing your experience Eric! ;)
Mauri
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:54:00 am by dr.prodigy »

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:19 am »
Uhmmm.. Can't really figure out why..
When Feel is in full screen mode, and set to change resolution, it looks at its current layout x*y size, and asks Windows for a resolution change for it, but without asking for a specific refresh rate.
Windows on its side should have, among its supported modelines (which vary according to present video card and drivers, monitor, etc.), a matching result. If it's so, the change can happen and the refresh rate is set by Windows to the relevant one. Otherwise you receive that error.
That's why it seems so strange to me! Feel doesn't deal with refresh rates..
Which Windows version do you use? Monitor? Video card?

I am using Windows XP SP3 (32 bit), the monitor is a Asus VS278Q-P LED, video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.  I suppose it's possible that I had Windows using the lower resolution before, so I didn't see this problem.  I know I'm getting a new video card for this cabinet for Christmas - I ordered it myself!  :)  So possibly this problem will go away shortly.  Or a new problem will crop up!

Okay so I assume you're on a LCD.. For sure 640x480 res is perfect for Crt arcade monitors (in fact it's there for them) but on nowadays monitors it sure isn't the best choice.. and not even the second best :)

Definitely, I will have to try and get up to speed on how layouts are created/modified so I can make some higher resolution ones.

I'll sure let you know if I find something, thank you very much for sharing your experience Eric! ;)
Mauri

Thank you for your great work on this program!

Eric

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
I am using Windows XP SP3 (32 bit), the monitor is a Asus VS278Q-P LED, video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.  I suppose it's possible that I had Windows using the lower resolution before, so I didn't see this problem.  I know I'm getting a new video card for this cabinet for Christmas - I ordered it myself!  :)  So possibly this problem will go away shortly.  Or a new problem will crop up!
Nope.. Indeed the error doesn't depend on your currently set resolution, but instead on the ones your hw (video card + monitor + drivers) is capable of.
Anyway, you'll soon test a new setup, so let's see ;)

Definitely, I will have to try and get up to speed on how layouts are created/modified so I can make some higher resolution ones.
It is quite easy indeed.. But in the meanwhile you can maybe find a decent one in the collection on my website.

Thank you for your great work on this program!

Eric
I do my best.. Really glad you appreciate it, thank you too! :)

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:37 am »
Over the weekend, FEEL prompted me to update to version 1.9.8.4.  I let it update, and all seemed fine.  But after my cabinet was sitting idle for a while on Saturday (maybe 2-3 hours), I walked by and noticed that FEEL had quit, and there was a popup error box that said "Execution Error. No joystick found: aborting".  Onsunday, the same thing happened again. 

I opened up feel.log and see the following:

**** 15/04/2018 19:41:01 - Start Front-End Emulator Launcher ****
EXECUTION ERROR
No joystick found: aborting
System.Exception: No joystick found: aborting
   at feel.OBJInput.CreateJoyPad(Int32 deadZone)
   at feel.OBJInput.UpdateJoyPad()
   at feel.Feel.UpdateUI(GameTime gameTime)
   at feel.Feel.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMe ssageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
   at feel.Feel.Main(Boolean newVersion)

All of my controls are connected with USB, wondering if maybe the USB controller on my PC times out after a while?  But I did not have this problem with the previous version of FEEL.  I'll go into the device manager and check the USB settings, I seem to recall that you can tell controllers not to allow Windows to power them down when they go idle, maybe that would clear this up?  But any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

rickreynolds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2018, 12:20:08 pm
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2018, 12:20:08 pm »
I'm a new user to FEEL.  I was a pretty "sophisticated" (??) user of MAMEWah years ago and tried out FEEL because it is so similar.  Is this the right place to post questions and/or report bugs I think I'm seeing?  Or now that the code is on github, should that kind of thing be addressed over there?