Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What emulators do you use for SNES, SEGA and NES?  (Read 2260 times)

jazzycian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2015, 05:54:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What emulators do you use for SNES, SEGA and NES?
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:43 am »
This has probably been covered many times. If someone has a link to another thread that would be great too.

I have been messing around with this now and am not sure which ones would be best. At the moment I have Nestopia for NES, GENS for SEGA and using MESS for SNES.

MESS pops up a message to say the SNES is not fully working, I would rather not see this. I have not set up my actual control panel yet so just getting everything working with the keypad. ESC seems to be pause on the emulators, surely I can map ESC to exit the emulator. Tried it in Nestopia and it says that key is already mapped but I can't see it on the list of mapped keys.

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 07:02:40 am
    • Pieter's Webpage
Re: What emulators do you use for SNES, SEGA and NES?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:15:56 am »
If you can compile your own MAME/MESS you can simply remove the nag line. If you're interested I can look up the file and line for you.

jazzycian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:55:30 am »
If you can compile your own MAME/MESS you can simply remove the nag line. If you're interested I can look up the file and line for you.

Yeah that would be great of you had the time, I wouldn't be familiar with compiling to be honest but if it is not tricky I would certainly give it a go

phulshof

• Offline Offline
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:58:30 am »
In src/emu/ui/ui.c:
In the function void ui_manager::display_startup_screens(bool first_time, bool show_disclaimer):

Code: [Select]
<br />        // disable everything if we are using -str for 300 or fewer seconds, or if we're the empty driver,<br />        // or if we are debugging<br />//      if (!first_time || (str > 0 && str < 60*5) || &machine().system() == &GAME_NAME(___empty) || (machine().debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_ENABLED) != 0)<br />                show_gameinfo = show_warnings = show_disclaimer = show_mandatory_fileman = FALSE;<br />
The if line is the one that needs to be commented out, as per the code above. It will make MAME always execute the second line, which sets all the show variables to false.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:14:16 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:34 am »
I'd take any recommendations with a grain of salt since a lot of people stick with the first thing they got working.  That doesn't necessarily make it the best.

I used uncle T's setup guide to get started, so for older consoles I'm using most of the ones referenced there.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwi7t5CCt5TGAhWBYK0KHemtAIc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmalafe.net%2Ffiles%2Fdownload%2FMalaEmuSetup-v1.3.doc&ei=ZTOAVfvwMIHBtQXp24K4CA&usg=AFQjCNHSK55Sqf30qmzp12iw4smZ4KnGLA&sig2=0GKYhM5j9uY2F0nxrErSCg&bvm=bv.96041959,d.b2w
It's pretty dated and now that I have some experience, I think the folder structure is atrocious, but I wouldn't have ever started if not for that guide.

For Genesis I use Kega Fusion.  It also covers master system, game gear, & sega CD.
I love Kega Fusion because it's simple.

For NES, I'm think I'm using FCE Ultra (FCEUX).

For SNES, ZSNES

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:36:32 am by BadMouth »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:49:00 am »

For Genesis I use Kega Fusion.  It also covers master system, game gear, & sega CD.

For SNES, ZSNES

These are all good recommendations. And to think I started NES emulation years ago with NESticle.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jazzycian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:24:54 am »
In src/emu/ui/ui.c:
In the function void ui_manager::display_startup_screens(bool first_time, bool show_disclaimer):

Code: [Select]
<br />        // disable everything if we are using -str for 300 or fewer seconds, or if we're the empty driver,<br />        // or if we are debugging<br />//      if (!first_time || (str > 0 && str < 60*5) || &machine().system() == &GAME_NAME(___empty) || (machine().debug_flags & DEBUG_FLAG_ENABLED) != 0)<br />                show_gameinfo = show_warnings = show_disclaimer = show_mandatory_fileman = FALSE;<br />
The if line is the one that needs to be commented out, as per the code above. It will make MAME always execute the second line, which sets all the show variables to false.

Thanks for that, i will try find that later and comment it out. Will that get rid of all of those messages that pop up before a game loads telling you to press left then right to continue?

For SNES, ZSNES

Thanks, I will give these a go, I was having hassle with some of the ones I was using opening in a window instead of full screen.

phulshof

• Offline Offline
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:57 am »
Yes, that will get rid of all those warning messages.

jazzycian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:57 pm »
Yes, that will get rid of all those warning messages.

That would be fantastic, I will give it a go later on. Thanks very much for your assistance.