Front End Support > MaLa Frontend

A 0 games found workaround for MAME v.162 and later with Mala.

(1/9) > >>

VWBusman:
***update this has also worked for me on MAME 163, 164 & 165***

Hi,

I am not sure if this tip has already been given/shared (sorry if it has), but I would like to share the solution to the problem that I was having using Mala with MAME 162.

I was having the above error (No games were added! Review collection options and ensure using XML file (produced by Mame) is >.84) due to the new mame.xml formatting.

Here a some examples of the changes in the mame.xml file:

old xml naming:

<!ELEMENT mame (game+)>
<!ATTLIST game
<game name="005"

new xml naming:

<!ELEMENT mame (machine+)>
<!ATTLIST machine
<machine name="005"

I fixed this using an xml editor (I used Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).

I used the "replace" function to replace the majority of the occurrences of "machine" with "game" in the mame.xml file in five steps:

Replace:

machine+

with

game+

Replace:

<!ELEMENT machine

with

<!ELEMENT game

Replace:

<!ATTLIST machine

with

<!ATTLIST game

Replace:

<machine

with

<game

And finally replace:

</machine

with

</game

Make sure to save the changes to mame.xml & then you should now be able to successfully refresh the main game list in Mala.

I hope this information helps,

VWBusman
[Updated title to reflect that this workaround is not limited to 0.162 - 0.165.  Will update title again if it stops working. -- Scott]

Vigo:
Good workaround! Thanks for helping keep Mala alive!  :cheers:

VWBusman:
Anything I can do to help. My family & I really enjoy using Mala on my arcade cabinet.

I forgot to mention that this workaround works for both the current beta (1.820) & official version (1.74) of Mala.

A big thanks to everyone working on Mala!

VWBusman

yotsuya:
I don't use Mala, but good for you, brother, for figuring this out!

NOP:
I think that a lot of FE's are likely going to fail due to this change, and if the FE isn't supported anymore, they may be stuck at 161 for eternity.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm running into this with ROMLister, and am wondering how I'm going to code around it to maintain compatibility with previous XML versions.
I was thinking that when creating a merged XML file, if it detects a 162 (machine+) xml file, that will ask you if you want to convert it back to <161's formatting or keep it as is.  RL would then do the exact same steps outlined here with a simple search/replace, which would in effect allow all FE's to work as normal if used with romlister.  As usual, I save the day. <jk>

No ETA on this yet- I think there will be other headaches with this change I haven't run into yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version