Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Rotatable" monitors The Good, The Bad and The Ugly  (Read 16247 times)

Neogojira

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2015, 08:17:39 pm
  • Build projects with my son
"Rotatable" monitors The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:07 am »
DaOld Man had a great idea. To list "Rotatable" monitors. Good ones and bad ones to help people out who are starting down this road. It will help with what to pick and not to pick. Main thing is that most LCDs can't be seen from the bottom of the screen. You lose the image. So that is a big thing to watch out for. I have 2 models that I have tested and they do not work. Look at the images below. If you have a screen around the same model numbers that I have posted more likely you will be in the same boat.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: "Rotatable" monitors The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
Thanks Neogojira!
I have had good luck with these two models:
Optiquest Q19WB model # VS11443 (19")
IBM Model 9320-HB1 (Made for Lenovo) 20"
The IBM is on a stand that allows the monitor to rotate by hand. If you have a monitor that is on a stand like this, you can rest assured that it is arcade rotatable.
Also wide screen monitors don't work so good due to the wide size as compared to the height, but it is doable, if it has good viewing angles.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:03:59 am by DaOld Man »

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 01:33:15 pm
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
I think the monitor feature you're looking for is IPS.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2015, 08:17:39 pm
  • Build projects with my son
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:07:39 pm »
I did some test on my  Aqua sharp 32 inch LCD TV and it was able to be seen from all sides.
I checked my main monitors on my PC and they did fine as well as the Samsung  plasma . I think all plasmas should work good as well. But my son's  Monitor did not function well it's a trutech
ViewSonic VS11422 good
Dell 2208WFPT good
Samsung PN42A450PID

TruTech LCD ugly. Bad view angles all around

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:09 am »
27" Planar PX2710MW
low lag, but viewing angle from bottom sucks. therefore when vertical P2's view is darker than P1's
It's not unplayable, but far from optimum.

EDIT: this thread could get pretty information dense.  Maybe we should color code the monitor models so people don't have to spend their time reading about monitors that don't work.  It would be nice to just skim and look for good models.  I say make them GREEN and make the ones that don't work great RED.
I thought about listing mine as yellow since it's not horrible, but if someone is looking for a monitor with good viewing angles they're not going to want "acceptable, but not great".
They want something that works well.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:44:07 pm by BadMouth »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:24:25 am »
I think the monitor feature you're looking for is IPS.

Thanks phulshof.
Can you list some models?
The intent of this thread is to give some information to people who may be looking for a monitor. Such as on ebay or craigslist where there may not be a lot of info about the monitor listed.
Sure you can google the model number for specs, but the info returned can be confusing.
It's best, IMHO, that opinions and info come "straight from the Horses mouth". (Now if I only had a pic of Hanna to post.)
Nothing like having the opinion of someone who has used the monitor in vertical mode as opposed to what a seller will say it can do.

Wait, I do have a picture of Hanna and her horse:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:27:07 am by DaOld Man »

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 01:33:15 pm
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:40 am »
I don't use any IPS monitors (yet), but IPS is generally included in the monitor specs. Most hardware stores will even list it as a search selection.

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 04:47:35 pm »
Yes on IPS, absolutely. You will be hard pressed to find a monitor in your local big box store that is acceptable, especially after you've used IPS panels. I can see problems when looking at other monitors even when I'm directly in front of them.

Last time I went to Fry's not a single monitor passed this test. I fiddled with their computer and made all the screens blue in the store so  could look haha.

You probably won't find any IPS monitors at your local store. Maybe though, I don't know the current state of things. I think good Apple screens are IPS, but Apple products are generally way overpriced.

Put a solid blue color on your entire screen, sit right in front of it, and see if the color changes from top to bottom. Almost all twisted pair models suffer from this, as most of them use the same panels, or select among a very few. You don't even need to change your viewing angle most of the time, they suck from all angles!

There is a website that list all the monitors and which panel they use. If you find a model that is not usable, you can look up any other monitors that use that panel and cross them off the list as well. It's all about the panel when it comes to viewing angle, not the brand of monitor.

Having said that, I actually ended up with a 32" TV in my cabinet. I wanted an IPS monitor (and I like the 1200 rather than 1080 vertical option), but I couldn't find anything big and cheap enough. I found a 32" 1080 TV with acceptable viewing angles and good color for $180 out the door. I am not rotating my monitor. A 32" vertical screen would be insane!

As far as more specific monitors go, it may be a shorter list if we concentrate on what's acceptable and ignore what isn't. I think listing the panel used would be helpful too.

I have not found an acceptable monitor yet for my use though (arcade or otherwise). I have 2 HP IPS monitors, slightly different models. One has a reddish tint, the other green. They have been there since day one and I will not buy HP monitors again.

As far as rotating wide screens - has anyone come up with a monitor mount that not only rotates, but can twist the monitor (like around the vertical axis) so that it would be able to rotate in a tight cabinet?

Example - you grab the left side of the monitor and pull it so it rotates as if it were on a stand (like a door maybe). Pull it out maybe 60 degrees. Now the screen is not flat inside the cabinet and can be rotated to vertical, then pushed back straight and into the cabinet. Maybe?

Sounds crazy but that's the only way I could see it working without having an insanely wide cabinet.

OR have 2 monitors and one rises up from the bottom inside the cabinet to cover the other, complete with it's own bezel. LOL. Hmmm......

I went with a bigger screen so I wouldn't need to rotate it. It's actually too tall maybe even in it's horizontal position.
"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 04:49:37 pm »
You guys overthink ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. :cheers: