Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Right size for Automated screen  (Read 10970 times)

Neogojira

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2015, 08:17:39 pm
  • Build projects with my son
Right size for Automated screen
« on: June 07, 2015, 04:10:10 am »
I have made a stick box with a PI that hooks up to a TV for a friend. But never made a full size cab before.
I have a 32" LCDTV that I think may be to big for a  rotating screen. But I do have an 22" wide LCD and a 19" square LCD. I think they would work nice for this cab. My 7 year old son loves pinball and fighting games and I love shooter and fighting. So I like to know what is best for this cab? Because most I see that do pinball are low angle and I think that may not work for the light gun. If it is best I can try and make a 2nd low  profile that only plays shooters is that's best. And help would be great. I want to get all the info I can and get it planned out before I build

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Right size for Automated screen
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:23:22 am »
I think the 32" would be too big to rotate, since you have so much screen size, vertical games would probably be big enough with that screen turned horizontal.
However, as far as I know, a screen that big has not been tried yet, so I personally would love to see that being done.
However, the 22" and 19" screens would be very good candidates.
But a word of advice, test the screens in vertical orientation before you commit to using them.
Hook them to a PC with mame, set mame to rotate the view for vertical games, then turn your screen vertically and see how it looks.
Things to look for is viewing angles.
With a game running in vertical, and the screen physically turned vertical, move left to right of the screen and see if the screen view becomes messed up.
LCD monitors have maximum view angles. Some are not over 20-30 degrees. In other words, if you are viewing the screen dead on in the center, then you move left or right and up and down, when you have reached the max view angle the screen will drastically change.
Most lcd monitors have a wide view angle left and right, but not so up and down.
And when the monitor is rotated vertical, up and down become left and right to the viewer. So be sure to check left, right, and up and down.
I always look up the specs on a monitor before I buy it, just to make sure it has very wide view angles up and down, if I intend to rotate it.
Good luck with your project, and please keep us informed as to what you do with the rotating screen.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »
The LCDs are what I have extra around my house. I will post the picks of the screens. The 32" I know I would have to remove it from the case because of its shape.
The first image is 19" the 2nd is the 22" and the last is the TV. The bottom of the TV I can see giving a issue. Is there a link to a part list to help me get started?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:18:09 pm »
Well, I don't know of a parts list per say, but a few of the guys that have done rotating projects have made a list of the stuff they used.
Check out the projects thread here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,108897.0.html
There are links to each project. It will take some time, but it's better to take the time to properly plan than it is to run into road blocks later.
But I can say that if you use the 32" tv, you will need a pretty powerful motor to turn it. An auto windshield wiper may be powerful enough to turn it, if you use the proper bearings to reduce friction.
Discuss on here what you want to do, and post pics, people on here are usually happy to help all we can.
And I have gotten tons of good ideas on here.
BTW, your profile says you are in Ky? So am I.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:54:22 am »
Yeah I live outside of Louisville, in bullitt Co. What part you live in?
I so want to do the 32" so bad. But it's 50lbs because it's a older LCD model from 2005. I may check and see if I can find a cheap 32" LCDTV. I need to check how wide the cab will be if it will spin. I only have X amount of space it can go in my small game room

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:56:11 am »
I live about 30 miles west of bowling green.
You need to turn that tv vertical to see how the viewing angle is before you invest a lot of time in it.
Also, the cabinet width must be wide enough for the tv to turn, and this measured from the center of the screen, so you have to account for any extra space in the case, top and bottom, using the center of the screen (not necessarily the center of the TV) as the reference point.
Then the cab has to be wide enough to allow for the TV from one corner to the opposite corner.
I have attached a crude drawing that may give you an idea what im talking about.
The center of the screen has to also be the center of the circle.
The circle has to be big enough to accommodate the whole TV case. So the clearance needed to turn will be from point A to point B. This will keep the center of the screen in the center of the cabinet and will have the same distance on either side of the screen.
Points A and B are the clearances needed on the inside of the cabinet, so you have to take into account the thickness of your cabinet walls when figuring total width of the cabinet.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:13:25 am »
How far you live from KY Lake?
When I get home I will check all 3 of them and even look at the max size I can make the cab.

I will watching the video of marvel vs capcom: Revolution and I love what he did. But it looks like he removed the the rotation from it

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:58:46 am »
Ky lake is about 90 miles from me. I live about halfway between Bowling Green and Hopkinsville. In Logan County. Im also situated about 55 miles north of Nashville, Tn, which is a good thing.
Always something to do in Nashville.
Yeah that Marvel vs Capcom project was cool.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »
It may be hard to tell but it looks like it's hard to see when the LCD is seen from the bottom. For both the 19 and the 22. Still need to check the 32. I may have to use the 32 and have it  stationary until I can right the right  Motor to be able to move a 50lbs LCDTV. Sucks. The first image is the LCD from the bottom. The color fades and it's hard to see image.

The other image is  The closets in my game room. I'm thinking about removing the doors and to slide the cab in to it. It is 36" wide. So I do not know if I have the full room to spin the TV. I may need to keep looking. I really wanted to do the 2 TV for the pinball.

The 32 is 27" wide (screen) and 15.5" tall (screen) and 32" wide and 21" tall. I may still be able to do pinball in the mid and 19 at the top or some thing.

It sucks able the  angles but I'm happy you gave me heads up to check for that. I never did think that no one looks at  monitors and TVs from the bottom so they have that issue on older ones.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »
That HP looks like the same one I have. Model HSTND-2A03, except mine is 17"
Im using mine in a bartop Im building, screen does not rotate.
I just checked mine out, and yeah, it looks pretty crappy from the bottom angle.
Good picture straight on though.
I don't know if there is a list on the site of suitable monitors to use for rotation, but we could start one. (I need to search first, someone may have already done the work).
Maybe a list of "rotatable" monitors good and bad.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »
Here is another crappy drawing showing the room needed for the screen display.
The large black lines are the cabinet walls.
The blue lines are top and bottom clearances needed for the view.
Notice that top and bottom view areas are dependent on the screen in vertical position.
Even though you don't have to keep the circle inside the view area, you must have room below and above the circle inside the cab.
For example, the bottom of the circle can go below the control panel, but must be behind it.
Same with the top being behind the bottom of the marquee area.
And the view sides must be referenced to the screen width when in horizontal position.
The inside width of the cabinet must still be able to fit the circle.

Edit: please note that I drew this with the windows paint program, the circle is not perfectly round, but I think you get the idea Im trying to convey.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:39:43 pm by DaOld Man »

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »
Here is the list of mine that do not work.

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
Re upload image

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:35 pm »
I may build my cab and then work on the  rotation . See over time if I can get some thing working right with that much weight.