Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: N00b Mame question-turning off bezel art?  (Read 9068 times)

Stormy151

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2011, 01:57:24 am
  • It was Dick Jones! DICK JONES!!!
N00b Mame question-turning off bezel art?
« on: December 31, 2003, 12:12:37 am »
Is there a way to turn off the bezel art?  When I try to play a game, such as Puckman or Captain America- it makes the screen very small.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:13:21 am by Stormy151 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re:N00b Mame question-turning off bezel art?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 12:52:54 am »
mame.exe -cc
open up the mame.ini

artwork options are towards the bottom inclulding turning off bezels

Stormy151

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2011, 01:57:24 am
  • It was Dick Jones! DICK JONES!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:03:43 am »
Thanks Howard! :)

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 05:41:09 pm »
SOmeone had a quick tutorial about to how trim up the bezel art so it is just the sides, for vertical games. I think there is a archive somewhere that has all of these modified bezels

This works great cuz youve still got some artwork, but it's designed to keep the playing screen at its intended size. Vertical games the playscreen goes from top to bottom, and theres maybe ~100 pixels on each side that can be used.

The yellow rectangle is the size of the full screen on the monitor. Millipede showed up good cuz of the blue screen, thats the full size of the vertical games resolution

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 09:53:59 pm »
SOmeone had a quick tutorial about to how trim up the bezel art so it is just the sides, for vertical games. I think there is a archive somewhere that has all of these modified bezels

This works great cuz youve still got some artwork, but it's designed to keep the playing screen at its intended size. Vertical games the playscreen goes from top to bottom, and theres maybe ~100 pixels on each side that can be used.

Hmmmmm..... would that be on this message board? It'd be useful to me. I run MAME 0.75 and I'm set for automatic resolution switching. This worked fine with older versions of MAME, but woth some games now, I get a whacked resolution that my multisync struggles with (it's an old and tired 21"). I'd rather hard-code the resolution and fill in the blank space with trimmed artwork as you illustrate. Much nicer looking.

Ideas where to look?

Additionally, suggestions on MAME resolution settings? Set it per ROM?

- pmc

LordMcSoth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2023, 02:04:13 am
  • I am building my own arcade controls!
Re: N00b Mame question-turning off bezel art?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 07:47:37 pm »
I know this post is very old but it is one I hit while searching this issue.  So I am going to post the solution I found for my version of MAME 0.238b.  If you don't have a mame.ini file in your root mame directory run this:
Code: [Select]
mame -createconfigto create the file, then change this option to crop artwork to full-screen:
Code: [Select]
artwork_crop              1
See mame core-artwork-options for the details.  Could also override artwork if you didn't want anything to show on the sides but I hadn't explored how that works.