Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel suggestions wanted  (Read 2874 times)

Goochee64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2019, 08:39:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control Panel suggestions wanted
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »
HI
I have a RP2 and running Emulation Station and want to put it in a Bartop.
My concern is gameplay for some of the console games using a typical MAME CP setup.
I am interested in what others are doing? extra buttons, installing USB ports for external game pads, etc.
Or in fact do you find yourself playing more MAME, NEOGEO style games that the other console emulators
Cheers

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Control Panel suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:11 pm »
Emulation Station uses RetroArch as the emulator suite for console games and MAME for arcade.  RetroArch uses a virtual controller and MAME uses it's own keymap.  So I like a 6 button Street Fighter layout on the CP and have USB ports on the front for plugging in a controller for console games.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 06:07:46 pm »
USB ports are easy to add.  You can find a panel mount set and then just plug it into a USB hub into the Pi.

I will be redoing my cabinet - at least the monitor and maybe updating the trackball and spinner to a current day model.  I like the screwless look today's stuff has.  You want to see outdated, pic of my cabinet from 2001. 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/cabinet/y_cab18.jpg

I haven't done much with it in a while because the computer went bad and I never replaced it.  Guess what I am thinking about replacing it with.  That does mean ditching the old CRT monitor, which I will gladly do.  That thing is heavy!  With the thin bezel of today's monitors I should be able to get a bigger one and mount it vertical.  It should still give  the same width for a horizontal game.  The question will be before I do that can I get the emulators to work on a vertical monitor?

In the upper right of the admin panel is USB ports mounted directly to the plexi.  I use those for gamepads.  Good for console emulators and for a 3rd or 4th player in mame.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/cabinet/y_cab10.jpg

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:07 pm »
USB ports are easy to add.  You can find a panel mount set and then just plug it into a USB hub into the Pi.

I will be redoing my cabinet - at least the monitor and maybe updating the trackball and spinner to a current day model.  I like the screwless look today's stuff has.  You want to see outdated, pic of my cabinet from 2001. 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/cabinet/y_cab18.jpg

I haven't done much with it in a while because the computer went bad and I never replaced it.  Guess what I am thinking about replacing it with.  That does mean ditching the old CRT monitor, which I will gladly do.  That thing is heavy!  With the thin bezel of today's monitors I should be able to get a bigger one and mount it vertical.  It should still give  the same width for a horizontal game.  The question will be before I do that can I get the emulators to work on a vertical monitor?

In the upper right of the admin panel is USB ports mounted directly to the plexi.  I use those for gamepads.  Good for console emulators and for a 3rd or 4th player in mame.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/cabinet/y_cab10.jpg
Yeah, as long as you use a custom resolution,  you should be fine.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Goochee64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2019, 08:39:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I might have to make some space for some USB ports then.
Cheers