Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Monitor with BBB or other Dev Board  (Read 2717 times)

ab-oc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2015, 06:32:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Monitor with BBB or other Dev Board
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:35:20 am »
Hello everybody,

about 10 years ago I played around with M.A.M.E. and a modified PC, till family planning and so on interrupted this great way of passing time.
Now my kids are bigger and nappy time is over, I will start again  :D

I like to keep my original arcade monitor (I like authentik look, with curved screen, whistle bright and rastered picture).
So is it possible to go with a BBB or another powerful Dev Board and a 15kHz arcade monitor?

Looking forward to helpful answers  :notworthy:

Regards

Andreas

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: Arcade Monitor with BBB or other Dev Board
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:36:12 am »
Short: Yes, this is one way to go, but its not a Dev board.

Long: You could use a Raspberry Pi or another Dev board but you would need to get a second board to convert the signal to a RGB signil your arcad moniter can except (see eBay). A Raspberry Pi VGA adapter and a jPac should work but I have never tried it.

Are you asking the right question?: A cheep used PC running Groovy Mame may be a better option. I have never used a real arcade minister but Groovy mame is built for this task.

It comes down to what you want. If your ok running an older versions of Mame (.106 or earlier) a Raspberry pi may work. If you want the latest version of Mame a PC is the way to go. 

If you go the PC root this may be something to look into as well:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:19:09 am by Locke141 »