Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroPi or PiPlay?  (Read 7403 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
RetroPi or PiPlay?
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:52:39 am »
Does it matter which way to go?  I just found out about this through the latest version of Make magazine which talks about PiPlay.  I have an RPi2 with PiPlay on it now.  Both use advmame 0.106 so it really wouldn't matter in terms of game support, correct?

I really like the web upload interface with PiPlay, makes it much easier to get the roms onto the system.

So far all the games I normally play it can handle.  However, some issues. 
I have to setup the controls for each game, global controls don't take. 
For many game the auto resolution doesn't work well so I have to manually set it. 
1944 not working.  Though the rom I have is for 0.92 and up, but advmame is complaining about missing nffux.03.  That's for the earlier version of the rom.  I tried renaming the one file to that (nffu.03) no go.
Coin/start with an xbox controller doesn't always work for some reason.

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: RetroPi or PiPlay?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:42:52 am »
The fact that PiPlay is super easy to add roms is nice, but it's default front end is not the best looking. I think they added an official better looking front end as an option but I haven't messed around with it yet.

if you want to try RetroPie you may want to try the DietPi with RetroPie build. It use's a strict down versions of Raspbian for quicker boot times and better performance. It also comes with emulation station a good looking simple front end that fits the bill if your mostly using console games. There is a step by step here.

If you want more of an arcade feel then emulation station, Attract Mode now works on the PI. A member here is working on a DietPi, RetroPie, Attract mode, with GPIO joystick support and GPIO on off build. It looks very promising hopefully he will be ready to post a down load link to the community soon.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:44:53 am by Locke141 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:36:23 pm »
Neither, to be honest.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:38:11 pm »
If you want more of an arcade feel then emulation station, Attract Mode now works on the PI. A member here is working on a DietPi, RetroPie, Attract mode, with GPIO joystick support and GPIO on off build. It looks very promising hopefully he will be ready to post a down load link to the community soon.

Yup, that's going to change a lot of attitudes about the Pi when it's ready to go....

So close... so close....

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:51:37 pm »
Been using both for a while, they all have their quirks. I am using Retropie in my bartop and my 2 nano/mini arcades I am working on and have no real complaints. Since it is easy enough to to try different setups, I would try all of them including the DietPi that was mentioned earlier and see what works best for you.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:56:30 am »

Yup, that's going to change a lot of attitudes about the Pi when it's ready to go....

So close... so close....

Agreed, it will also make all the xxx-in-one's arcade boards pointless.

Been using both for a while, they all have their quirks. I am using Retropie in my bartop and my 2 nano/mini arcades I am working on and have no real complaints. Since it is easy enough to to try different setups, I would try all of them including the DietPi that was mentioned earlier and see what works best for you.

Like with most free software, trying every thing that looks interesting is good advice. Just to be clear, DietPi is a lighter versions of the standard R-pi foundations OS. You don't need it to run Retropie, it will however free up more resources for Retropie and your emulators. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:29:21 am by Locke141 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:59 pm »
I tried Piplay and Chameleon and both do not work with a wired ethernet connection or the several wifi stick I have laying around.  I was going to use the Raspi for my cabinet project, but if it is going to be this much of a hassle then I will have to plumb for a PC or xbox.  They look nice but that is all.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 12:56:05 am »
I tried Piplay and Chameleon and both do not work with a wired ethernet connection or the several wifi stick I have laying around.  I was going to use the Raspi for my cabinet project, but if it is going to be this much of a hassle then I will have to plumb for a PC or xbox.  They look nice but that is all.

Are you sure you have a compatible wi-fi dongle?

A list of know compatible dongle.
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Set up:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/

http://www.raspyfi.com/wi-fi-on-raspberry-pi-a-simple-guide/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:17:24 am by Locke141 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »

Are you sure you have a compatible wi-fi dongle?

A list of know compatible dongle.
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Set up:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/

http://www.raspyfi.com/wi-fi-on-raspberry-pi-a-simple-guide/

Thanks for the list.  I have the Asus WL-167 and it was detected but no connection.  My pi is the first batch that came out so may be too old.  :D

It works now.  I had a senior moment, but I got better.  It's a side effect of looking at CRTs too close for many years.  I guess my parents were right about at least one thing.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:26:07 pm by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.