Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Case of the Mystery Cocktail Cab (Solved...It's Moon Cresta)  (Read 3719 times)

tomstewdevine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
Can anyone identify what kind of cab this is?

I'm picking it up tomorrow from a guy on craigslist for $75.00. 

It has been there for 20 days, I check everyday, but he didn't put arcade or coin op or video game.  He just put cocktail table, and in the description said he paid more than 125 for it and he just doesn't have the time to fix it. So it will be my first real arcade cab pickup, and if it turns out to be complete junk and I can't do anything with it, I will just convert it to mame or put a 60 in 1 cocktail board in it.

But the guy doesn't know the game or much about the thing at all, so I was wondering if you guys could help.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:25:27 am by tomstewdevine »
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
Re: The Case of the Mystery Cocktail Cab
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:54 am »
So I picked it up, It's a Moon Cresta.

Opened her up, the glass isn't attached at all, the hinges are still there just not screwed in. Looking Quickly I could see the monitor is free floating and not attached to the mounts, and it was resting on this board.

Not sure what this button is for.

Power supply is my first problem to work out, when I plug it in and turn it on the power supply makes a decently loud noise and it seems it not getting power to the board or monitor. The person I bought it from said the guy who sold it to him said it wasn't working because of a bad fuse, and these are the one I think they were talking about.

These next ones of the board I don't really even know what I'm looking at.  It seems that one of the roms is lifted There are multiple jumper wires and I'm not sure if this daughter board is after market or what.

So now I'm going to try to research moon cresta, the cocktail, see if this is an original dedicated or if it was once something else, or if it's just a generic cab. Research the best way to test a power supply and go from there.

Any questions anybody has please ask, and I would love advice because this is my first time at this.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: The Case of the Mystery Cocktail Cab (Solved...It's Moon Cresta)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:49 pm »
I could be wrong but I doubt that is an original MoonCresta.  I had an original and this doesn't look anything like it.  Even the PCB looks different, especially the edge connector, and the control panel looks wrong.   However, it does look like a Nichibutsu cocktail table though so I will bet it's a conversion as I can see some hacks to the monitor mount.   

Good luck.  Those cocktails are a pain to work on.

P.S. The black button is probably manual degauss.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:46:10 pm »
Subbed. I got a stand up Moon Cresta so I will be interested in what you find out.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:48:47 pm »
Ok after a little research this is definitively not a original Moon Cresta original cocktail, which sucks, but whatever.

After a little more research it seems that this board could have been a Moon Cresta originally, but it seems that these boards are really easy to turn into other games, and with all the work that has been done on this board I wouldn't be surprised if Moon Cresta wasn't on the board, and after a closer look there are eproms on the daughter board.

The Monitor doesn't work, Power supply doesn't work, and after close inspections about 4 roms lifted from the board.  A mouse had been living in the bottom and some wires are chewed up inside the machine as well.

If this was an original Moon Cresta cabinet I would restore it, but it's not and there are a lot of problems.  I'm going to see if I can find out what this cabinet originally was and if I can, try to convert it to that.  I have seen quite a few games that have this exact cab but I would like to determine what was in this specific one. It looks as if the CP and the blue and yellow spaceship are original so I need to find what they belong too.  I know I have heard of people saying that there are some generic cocktail cabs they could throw anything into, and I wonder if this cabinet is one of those.

Thanks for all the help behrmr, that button was manual degauss, and I have found about 4 pcb's for moon cresta, and none look exactly like this one....

The guy who sold it to me gave me a few papers he had with the machine, one was a moon cresta paper showing the differnt ships, one was a Tekken Tag schematic, and one was a power supply schematic for a different power supply than what was in this cabinet.... thanks guy.

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »
So I have taken everything out and cleaned it up.  I sold it to a buddy and we are building a mame cab out of it. I'm saving most of the parts, so if anyone needs anything or wants this pcb, I would give it away if you paid postage. Sad I couldn't make a dedicated out of this but better luck next time, I now have some cool 2 way joysticks and cool old buttons though.

Best part is the coin door still works. So we get to keep that.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:29 am »
I wouldn't mind messing around with that board. Could I have it?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:45 am »
yeah man, just pay the postage, I will get it packaged up.

meestermole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 01:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:06:10 pm »
Moon Cresta was one of my favorites growing up. If IG-88 changes his mind, hit me up, I'd like to give it a go. Thanks ks!