Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 with Windows 10 IoT and MAME  (Read 7455 times)

CanadianRyGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2021, 07:41:53 am
Raspberry Pi 2 with Windows 10 IoT and MAME
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:41:08 am »
Just curious with the introduction of a version of Windows 10 to the Raspberry Pi 2, would this improve on MAME compatibility or anything. I know nothing about programming or anything so it might not even be possible to have MAME run on that version of Windows, but was just curious what it could mean for emulation on the Pi

Curious to hear some insight.

Thanks

zybeon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2016, 04:46:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 with Windows 10 IoT and MAME
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »
Windows 10 is still months away from being released. Also considering this will be a special build of Windows running on ARM processors that the standard windows MAME versions will not work on it as the developers will need to compile a specific build for ARM chips. They have the code, since it runs on ARM in linux, they just need to compile a version for it. I doubt this will improve compatibility as it will most likely be the same exact code, minus windows specifics, running on ARM chips now.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »
The overhead alone would kill off any chances.  Unless M$ made an embedded version.  Crap bloaty code vs Linux.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:05:44 pm »
Win10 will be running a version of .NET thus a virtual machine.  That's added overhead.  Plus it isn't Windows as we know the desktop version, just a interface to run an app.  Not sure if it will be multithreaded/multi-app.  As far as I can tell from using the pre-release only one app.  Not ideal for a frontend AND mame.

Same thing between Arduino and Netduino.  Netduino is a much more powerful processor than the Arduino, but because it runs Micro.NET and a VM it performs worse than the Arduino.  The closer you can get to running direct machine code the better the performance.

Why would anyone want to use Win10 IoT or Micro.NET?  Because they started in the Microsoft world, know C#, and thus can make the software for it easier.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:23:45 pm »
Why would anyone want to use Win10 IoT or Micro.NET?  Because they started in the Microsoft world, know C#, and thus can make the software for it easier.

So assembler is dead as a dodo?

I thought C# was dead and was only used where c++ lacked, such as garbage collection and exceptions.  Even using pointers in C# was a hope and pray experience.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:39:38 pm »
C# is very alive and well.  Anything enterprise.  Most ASP.net.