Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: what parts to glue?  (Read 2259 times)

bboryla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2015, 10:14:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
what parts to glue?
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:01:34 am »
Hello everybody, newbie here with a question I haven't seen yet.

How much wood glue do you use and on what boards?   I want a good sturdy cabinet, but also want to balance that with the flexibility of being able to remove some of the outside panels for interior access as well as removing weight so it can be moved more easily.   

I'll be using 3/4" MDF for most of the cabinet but probably regular wood boards as ledger boards, and will be screwing from inside the cabinet using countersinks and drywall screws.  Also I plan on using a dado for the base.

Do most of you design your cabinets with multiple removal panels, and only glue select parts or is it best to keep access panels to a minimum and glue everything else? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

deano71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2015, 08:30:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: what parts to glue?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:32:09 am »
Hi im  ot using any glue. Just battons and mine seems sturdy enough so far.

johnrt

Re: what parts to glue?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
Do NOT listen to deano71! Use glue wherever you can! Trust me. Your cab may be sturdy without, but wood moves with temperatures creating cracks here and there, so make sure everything is glued.