Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Dream Machine (First full sized cabinet) DONE! Link to Plans included!  (Read 41435 times)

Vidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
Re: The Dream Machine (My first full sized arcade cabinet)
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »
Okay definitely time for another update. I've made a lot of progress since my last post. The Memorial day weekend allowed me some more time to get some things done too.

I got the box and shelf made for the coin bucket:

Speakers mounted:

Control panel area built with hidden coin buttons and USB ports:

Marquee light mounted:

Then I moved on to cutting out the bezel wood and finished up the hole with a router:

Mounted the monitor. One of my screws split the surface of the laminate  :banghead: I just glued it back down. It wont really matter because it will be completely covered by artwork anyway:

I mounted a piece of angled aluminum on the bottom of the bezel wood to hold the plexiglass in place. This is how I split that laminate  :banghead::

Also routered out a spot for the light gun sensor above the monitor you can see it in this pic:

Plexiglass in place mounts really well up behind the speaker panel:

Whew! Now on to the control panel! Also I got my art ordered today from Lucian045!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:55:00 am by Vidiot »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »
A very clean and sharp looking build with some tight woodworking going on. Looks great  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 10:01:29 am »
A very clean and sharp looking build with some tight woodworking going on. Looks great  :cheers:

Thanks man.  :cheers:

I got the control panel cut out and even managed to router fit the plexi to fit as well. I' needed to find a piece of wood 5/8" thick to use with my plexi so the 3/4" t-molding will fit properly. I found this melamine shelf board at Lowes and it was just right for the CP. Now I need to get those holes drilled!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:57:45 am by Vidiot »

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 11:19:43 am »
Well I've got the computer mounted inside now and while testing out the complete system to make sure everything functions inside the cab I realized that I mounted my monitor a little too high for me to be happy with it. So now I need to remake the bezel wood piece. :banghead: Not too big of a deal but still a setback! On the upside it will allow me to perfect the mounting of it so the control panel mates up better with the little metal trim along the bottom of bezel wood.

Another snag I ran into was not getting any audio from the right speaker. I verified that that amp is working properly so hopefully it's just a problem with my speaker wiring and not the speaker itself.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 08:55:47 am »
Another progress report!

So I decided to use the existing bezel wood and just cut the hole a little lower for the monitor. It turned out really well and saved me a lot of work. I bought a piece of black poster board to go between the wood and the smoked plexi that will hide the extra hole above the monitor. Sorry, I didn't really take any pics of this process. :(

I got the control panel finished up. It really took a lot of tweaking to get things to line up good. I decided to mount the joysticks under the panel recessed into the wood as deep as I could. The shafts are a little short above the panel but they still feels pretty good to me and I think I can get used to it.

I got one side of the side art on and the t-molding installed as well! I tucked the vinyl over the edge and under the t-molding. I'm leaving the protective film over the chrome t-molding for now until I'm finished.

I did get the audio fixed. It was just a bad audio cable. Replaced it and now the sound is perfect. Now I've discovered that the trackball isn't rolling well. It's like its binding up inside. I'm wondering if the bolts are too tight or something. I need to have a serious look at that now. I'll be getting the rest of the art applied asap to finish that up. Then on to wiring!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:04:23 am by Vidiot »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
Now I've discovered that the trackball isn't rolling well. It's like its binding up inside. I'm wondering if the bolts are too tight or something. I need to have a serious look at that now.

Tip from the Ultimarc website :

After installation:
You will likely find the ball is quite stiff to rotate in certain directions. This is owing to the fact it has to slide over the rollers to some extent and is quite sticky from the manufacturing process. It will ease with use. For an immediate perfect usage, you can apply a small amount of liquid soap or hand cream to the ball.

I had the same problem, took mine apart, applied some hand cream to the ball, put it back together. Worked like a charm.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 10:01:02 am »
YOWSA! That looks great!!!!  :cheers:

Nice job on everything so far! Can't wait to see this one up and running. Bravo!

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 10:37:09 am »
Always a joy following your work. Good pictures and descriptions of your build make it a breeze to follow. Really love your artwork. I'm also glad you decided to go with the sideart that didn't have characters plastered all over it. Sometimes less is more.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:39:16 am by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:12 am »

Tip from the Ultimarc website :

After installation:
You will likely find the ball is quite stiff to rotate in certain directions. This is owing to the fact it has to slide over the rollers to some extent and is quite sticky from the manufacturing process. It will ease with use. For an immediate perfect usage, you can apply a small amount of liquid soap or hand cream to the ball.

I had the same problem, took mine apart, applied some hand cream to the ball, put it back together. Worked like a charm.

Thanks. Do you remember what kind of hand cream you used? I'm thinking my issue might be a little more problematic. The ball rolls much harder than it did before I mounted it. Also when I roll it I can hear a roller underneath still spinning without the ball. I think I've got it too tight. Anyway, I would love to smooth it out though so if you can remember what cream you used I appreciate it. :)

And thanks guys for the compliments!  :)

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
Just some normal hand cream.The brand is Nivea, I don't know if you can buy that in America. That shouldn't matter, though.

When assembling the trackball, mind the location of the rollers. It is possible to position them slightly off, which results in cranky movement. I had to take my trackball apart again to correct that.
Which reminds me : Do a test BEFORE you put it back into your CP. And before you screw the CP back into the cab. I didn't.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
Just some normal hand cream.The brand is Nivea, I don't know if you can buy that in America. That shouldn't matter, though.

When assembling the trackball, mind the location of the rollers. It is possible to position them slightly off, which results in cranky movement. I had to take my trackball apart again to correct that.
Which reminds me : Do a test BEFORE you put it back into your CP. And before you screw the CP back into the cab. I didn't.

Sounds good man. Thanks for the tip.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 11:36:30 am »
No prob. Hope it helps.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
Thank you guys for the kind words. ;)
I was able to get the trackball rolling good again and I got it to fit better in the panel. Thanks again yamatetsu for the tips :)

I spent some time yesterday tidying up the cabling inside:

Got my artwork finished as well:

Now I'm ready to move on to mounting the control panel and wiring everything up! I still want to block the back of the marquee lighting somehow. I'll be working on that soon as well.

I wanna give a shout out to Lucian045 (Brad) for the excellent artwork printing. I'm very happy with it. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:16:27 am by Vidiot »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 10:49:16 am »
 :applaud:  Nice, looking awesome!
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 11:06:55 am »
I still want to block the back of the marquee lighting somehow. I'll be working on that soon as well.

If you mean to block the black border around the marquee : Make a cardboard bezel in the shape of the black border, tape it to the inside of the marquee.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 11:30:13 am »
:applaud:  Nice, looking awesome!

Thanks Borgdog!

If you mean to block the black border around the marquee : Make a cardboard bezel in the shape of the black border, tape it to the inside of the marquee.

Actually I want to do that too :lol but I was referring to the whole area behind the marquee / speakers. I just want to do something simple like maybe cut out some black poster foam board and velcro it in there. That way I can just take it out if I need to work on it. I'll post some pics when I get around to doing it. I like your idea of using black cardboard behind the marquee. I was thinking of blocking off the black areas with electrical tape but I think I will use some black poster board instead.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2015, 09:35:51 pm »
This a damn nice build.
I love the art theme used throughout.
The attention to detail inside the cab is also very nice.

the jiysticks and buttons do look a little high up on the ckntrol panel. Are they comfortable to use?

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2015, 08:43:41 am »
This a damn nice build.
I love the art theme used throughout.
The attention to detail inside the cab is also very nice.

the jiysticks and buttons do look a little high up on the ckntrol panel. Are they comfortable to use?

Thanks man. The controls feel good. The joysticks are little short but I can get used to it. Feels strange trying to play pacman with my left hand though. I'll probably configure the player 2 stick for pacman & ms. pacman.

So, I'm really trucking along and I feel like I'm in the final stretch and of course I've got another nagging problem to figure out. My "smart" surge strip is not turning the other components off anymore. When I shut the computer down the marquee light, audio amp, and monitor stay on. It worked fine until I started hooking up controls. Seems that the usb devices and even a connected Ethernet cable are drawing enough power from the "off" computer to leave the surge strip on. I checked the power settings on the motherboard and it looks like everything is disabled such as Wake on LAN, turn on by keyboard, etc. So I'm really not sure what to do about it other than try a different "smart" strip. Anyone ever have a similar problem with smart surge strips? I was thinking of hooking up a powered USB hub for the controls to see if that would stop the power drain from the motherboard. I wish the smart strip I'm using had a sensitivity setting.  :banghead:

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:45 am »
I've got another nagging problem to figure out. My "smart" surge strip is not turning the other components off anymore. When I shut the computer down the marquee light, audio amp, and monitor stay on.

Not sure which smart strip you have but if it's like the Bits Limited ones there's a sensitivity dial on the side that handles exactly what you're describing.

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

Nice build!
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2015, 10:56:16 am »
I've got another nagging problem to figure out. My "smart" surge strip is not turning the other components off anymore. When I shut the computer down the marquee light, audio amp, and monitor stay on.

Not sure which smart strip you have but if it's like the Bits Limited ones there's a sensitivity dial on the side that handles exactly what you're describing.

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

Nice build!

This is the one I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812220052&cm_re=cyberpower_surge-_-12-220-052-_-Product

Unfortunately it doesn't have a sensitivity setting on it. I just ordered a different one from Amazon. I got this one this time:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-4941-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433775065&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+strip&pebp=1433775067122&perid=0BDS67X8A44YW7ZQSBPV

Hopefully this will fix my problem.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 11:04:01 am »
 I have the Belkin smart strip which doesn't have the sensitivity adjustment either but I've never had a problem.
However I do use a powered usb hub.

As far as control mapping for 4 way. On my panel, I kept my player 1 stick as an 8 way with a round gate because that's the feel I prefer for shmups and what not and my player 2 is a 4way/8way.
My reason for this was because the player 2 stick is more in the middle of the cab so it allows me to play left or right handed on 4 ways even if the game uses buttons.
The downside is that I have to explain the setup to others but that's hardly a big deal

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »
I have the Belkin smart strip which doesn't have the sensitivity adjustment either but I've never had a problem.
However I do use a powered usb hub.

As far as control mapping for 4 way. On my panel, I kept my player 1 stick as an 8 way with a round gate because that's the feel I prefer for shmups and what not and my player 2 is a 4way/8way.
My reason for this was because the player 2 stick is more in the middle of the cab so it allows me to play left or right handed on 4 ways even if the game uses buttons.
The downside is that I have to explain the setup to others but that's hardly a big deal

I just got the new surge protector smart strip today and it does have a sensitivity adjustment on the side so it should work out.

I am more concerned now about my joysticks. I had one of my perfect 360s stop working and they don't make them anymore. :banghead: It stopped working left and right. Up and down still work. I'm sure it's a problem with the PCB but I'm not sure I can repair it. So now I am considering new sticks. MGB I saw your post in the reviews section on the new Dominux 8 joystick from GGG. Did you ever get a chance to play on it? I'm considering that one. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:43:23 pm by Vidiot »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »
Sadly I haven't had time to install it yet but Delusional has them on his machine and I gave them a try.
It's a nice stick.

The perfect 360 should be repairable though.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Well I'm about ready to call this 99% done!

I was actually able to fix my Happ perfect 360 joystick. I took it apart and started checking voltages across the board to see if anything didn't seem right. What I found was that the sensors for the Left and Right controls were not getting the proper voltage. I traced it back to the IC Inverter chip on the board. I found a replacement chip from Mouser (Part Number MM74HC14M) for .51 cents. Of course the shipping was 7.99. lol. But anyway after I replaced the chip I check voltages again and they were now correct. I reinstalled the joystick and it still wasn't moving Left. After more investigation I discovered that one of the inputs in my IPac was dead. After I rewired the Left to another input on my IPac everything is working properly!

Here are my final build pics. I hope to have a youtube video up as some point as well. When I do I'll post it in here.

I found a couple Dream Machine tokens, polished them up, and glued one of them to my spinner. I couldn't think of a better place to put her:

Now the real fun begins! Game on! ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:30:47 am by Vidiot »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html

You gotta call it 100% if you want to be eligible for any awards.  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Oh, and nice job. Probably my favorite build from this year so far.  :cheers:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
 :applaud:

Nice work Vidiot! Wow, you have been busy since your last post. I've always appreciated your attention to detail, cable management and problem solving skills.

The fold down control panel is a convenient feature. And the serial tag on the back is a nice detail. Very nice cab overall.

What's next for you?  Too soon?  ;D
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline

Well I guess she is 100%.....for now :lol I mean you fellow builders all know that our cabs are never really 100% done after all. ;D

And thank you so much for the kind words. I'm really happy with how she's turned out. I feel like I did the Dream Machine arcade of my memories a justice with this homage. However, award material? I dunno if I'd go that far but thank you!

Nice work Vidiot! Wow, you have been busy since your last post. I've always appreciated your attention to detail, cable management and problem solving skills.

The fold down control panel is a convenient feature. And the serial tag on the back is a nice detail. Very nice cab overall.

What's next for you?  Too soon?  ;D

Thank you! What's next? I dunno maybe too soon? I would love to build a cabaret some day. Maybe a Multi-Williams. It'll be a while though. :lol

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Well I guess she is 100%.....for now :lol I mean you fellow builders all know that our cabs are never really 100% done after all. ;D

And thank you so much for the kind words. I'm really happy with how she's turned out. I feel like I did the Dream Machine arcade of my memories a justice with this homage. However, award material? I dunno if I'd go that far but thank you!

My favorite part of this build was it's evolution. It's no secret I'm not a fan of characters being plastered all over the cab, marquee, and control panel in random and haphazard manner, and I love how you removed those elements but still maintained the theme and ended up with a machine that looks unique and still pays homage to your memories. I'll be the first to nominate it for a UCA (or whatever it's going to be called) when the time comes.  :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
This machine just screams "FUN! PLAY ME!"

I love it. Absolutely.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
It's no secret I'm not a fan of characters being plastered all over the cab, marquee, and control panel in random and haphazard manner,

I 2nd that! I don't need every character on the side of a cab to help me understand that it is an arcade machine.  :D  I was also very happy with Vidiot's final artwork. Now drink a beer and enjoy your hard work.  :cheers:

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
My favorite part of this build was it's evolution. It's no secret I'm not a fan of characters being plastered all over the cab, marquee, and control panel in random and haphazard manner, and I love how you removed those elements but still maintained the theme and ended up with a machine that looks unique and still pays homage to your memories. I'll be the first to nominate it for a UCA (or whatever it's going to be called) when the time comes.  :cheers:

Ya know, I love classic arcade characters and I've seen collages of them that look cool but I just couldn't come up with something I liked. And all of them use characters from the same source so there isn't anything unique about that design other than how you arrange them. I really took your suggestions to heart and I totally agreed. You, Reptileink, and PL1 really helped motivate me with your ideas and suggestions and I appreciate that. I love this community.

To even be considered for an award is an incredible compliment. Thank you so much. There are so many awesome builds on here. :cheers:

This machine just screams "FUN! PLAY ME!"

I love it. Absolutely.

I 2nd that! I don't need every character on the side of a cab to help me understand that it is an arcade machine.  :D  I was also very happy with Vidiot's final artwork. Now drink a beer and enjoy your hard work.  :cheers:

Thank you guys! :cheers:

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
nice work! real clean!   :applaud:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
It's funny, I didn't want to say anything, but I felt like I was a part of this build. Having the same amount of love for the Dream Machine, and helping in the initial stages with artwork suggestions really made me feel like I was at least a "part" of this community.

Great clean build, and I LOVE the serial tag on the back. It's a shame that little details like that get hidden from the cave men who point and say, "arcade nice" .......lol.

Can't wait till your next one, and you sure were an inspiration!  :applaud: :cheers:

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
It's funny, I didn't want to say anything, but I felt like I was a part of this build. Having the same amount of love for the Dream Machine, and helping in the initial stages with artwork suggestions really made me feel like I was at least a "part" of this community.

Great clean build, and I LOVE the serial tag on the back. It's a shame that little details like that get hidden from the cave men who point and say, "arcade nice" .......lol.

Can't wait till your next one, and you sure were an inspiration!  :applaud: :cheers:

You were definitely a part of it Reptileink. Thanks for your kind words and thanks for the suggestions you had. ;)

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
Just came across this thread today and read through everything. Looks great! I'd say you made the right choice with nixing the characters on your side art -- the logotype and stars tell you everything you need to know. I don't have anything substantive to add, but I did want to at least say, "hey, man, this looks great!" And now I've said it twice. So there you go! :)

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
I love the lift rod on the cp.

And you put the dust washers under the artwork!!!?
bravo my man, bravo.

very nicely done.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:18:39 pm by mgb »

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys.

I love the lift rod on the cp.

And you put the dust washers under the artwork!!!????
bravo my man, bravo.

very nicely done.

Yeah the bases on those joysticks are already recessed on the top so the dust washer can just sit on top of the joystick base under the panel. I figured it might give the CP a cleaner look.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
 I just realized that my last post showed the face with question marks over it.
sorry, that was an accident.

I prefer the dust washers under the artwork when possible.
great job

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A truly Amazing build :applaud:  I liked both your star and final sun rays backgrounds. Did you create these in photoshop and then vector to full size. Thanks and Congratulations!