Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My 1st Cab - Alien MAME - DONE!!!  (Read 11288 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: My 1st Cab - Alien MAME - DONE!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 11:39:11 am »
You might want to reconsider using a pi.  The version of MAME that Retropie runs is ancient.  You will also have way more flexibility if you use a PC.  I would only ever use a pi if I had space constraints (I have one in a bartop and I kind of hate it).

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 11:44:39 am »
Your cab called me and told me it wants an upgrade to a CRT while you are making a bunch of changes.

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 12:18:58 pm »
You might want to reconsider using a pi.  The version of MAME that Retropie runs is ancient.  You will also have way more flexibility if you use a PC.  I would only ever use a pi if I had space constraints (I have one in a bartop and I kind of hate it).

Thanks, but I am going the PI route to check it out.  I think it will do plenty for what I do, which is mostly play 80s games and turn it on for parties.

I just need to figure out how to get the LEDs to turn on and off when the PI does and need a good upgrade for the keyboard encoder.

I did find a video on switching out the LEDs in the volcano switches, so I'll give that a go.

I'm really not interested in spending CRT upgrade money at this point.  The LCD works fine for me!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 10:07:20 pm »
You can get a 21” crt for free, but I can understand why you don’t want to use one. Maybe consider using the filters to emulate scan lines which is built into retropie.

Just get another ipac. That’s the easiest route. I’m guessing the zero delay encoders would work fine for you. Check them out.

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2020, 12:30:11 pm »
Thanks, just ordered an IPAC2 that has USB and it already shipped!

It looked like it would be a pretty easy swap for the old one.

What are "zero delay encoders"?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »
What are "zero delay encoders"?

They are $10 boards that support up to 12(?) buttons and connect to the PC via USB.  The PC sees it as a game pad.  They are really convenient (and cheap) and even come with a wiring harness so it's just plug and play.  Amazon sells them.