Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame / UME performance  (Read 3874 times)

wmanst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2015, 11:21:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Groovymame / UME performance
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:51 am »
i have upgraded my set up for vertical naomi cab i'm running G3258  3.9 ghz so far i have tried demanding games as Stv and Cave SH3 and all is running smooth..that's on win7 with ati radeon running crt_ermudriver

- well i''m asking are there any 2D games to test and check performance ?  Maybe even 3D one's ?

- The CPU usage is quite low around 20-30% if it's reported with accuracy ?

- Issues i'm having is when running interlaced mode on STV the switchres switch to progresive and back to interlaced which is slow why ? When interlaced it does run around 60 % ???

- Tried running Radiant Silvergun i get few drops nothing mayor during the first stage the music desynch for a while ?? I have tried up to stage 3 and than all is running full speed..

-As for UME i have set up console so far and have tried genesis ntsc Sonic 2 to test and when in attract mode it switches to 2 player demo when the screen is interlaced i get around 50 % fps and it's locked does not go down or up ?

-For testing i'm running extended desktop with CRT primary and LCD secondary and  there is quite a long delay when exiting game from command line ?? Is that normal ? No problem when running on crt only

-Question..when installed crt_emdriver on win 7 upon restart there is delay ? I'm running a SSD ?

-Also what is strange i have no issue with cave games on win 7 i can add credit but on  win XP i get coin error ?? That's with the same GM version

Thanks in advance for suggestions :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame / UME performance
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:39 am »
Lots of questions, most related to the fact that W7 is slooooow when installing many modelines and it gets much worse when you use more than one monitor. Solution: switch to super resolutions.

Regarding 50% speed with interlaced games: currently GM needs to switch to ddraw for interlaced games as a workaround for the speed issue. Make sure GM is free to do this (i.e. no .ini file apart from mame.ini forcing the -video option to something specific).
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:29:15 am »
Thanks Calamity for taking time and answering my questions :)

If i get it as intended GM or UME use ddraw for interlaced mode so there's no solution for slow perfomance i have no ini pointing anywhere just clean ume.ini with generic_15 as monitor..In this case CPU does not play any role ? Well that's a pity it does ruin the arcade experience...

Any suggestion for driver or games which are demanding on CPU ? I have found old threads only

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 07:42:15 am »
If i get it as intended GM or UME use ddraw for interlaced mode so there's no solution for slow perfomance

Switching to ddraw is indeed the solution to run interlaced modes at 100%, the problem is if it is not switching for some reason. Check your logs.

Also make sure to run one of the very recent versions, regardless of your romset. Older ones don't switch to ddraw when required.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:15 am »
Ok so in your build it does run 100% ?? Well i have tried to run rsgun on my desktop i5 4670 i get locked 50% interlaced screen ?? I'm using latest UME build groovyume64_0161.015g...Created fresh ume.ini monitor set to generic_15 ..I'm not able to make anything from that log so i'm apending it..If you have a time take a look if there is any problem..

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:24:37 am »
It looks like it's not able to switch to ddraw (look by the end of your log, it sets -video ddraw but below that you can see D3D stuff). I don't know if this is a bug since recent osd changes in mainline. I'll need to test this in my cab.

What happens if you change "-video auto" in mame.ini by "-video d3d"? Or just try forcing -video ddraw.
Steps to create a log:

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:43:33 am »
I have setup video d3d tried and still the same than i have changed to ddraw and the interlaced screen shows 100% but it drops frames like crazy even in game and theres delay when i add credit i can hear echo for a while..I have made a log with ddraw on take a look please..Is this a bug or i have bad config ?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:39:15 am »
Let me try this...
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:40 am »
I'm testing rsgun here on a laptop (i7-2670QM 2.20GHz) and it definitely can't handle it at 100%. Things start getting bad when the zoom in the brown big ship starts. It's a cpu/emulation issue.

I'm concerned however about GM not being able to turn ddraw by itself. This must be a problem with last couple of versions, due to the changes in mainline.
Steps to create a log:

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:11:08 am »
Well thanks for trying Calamity..As i have said when i leave -video to auto i get fluid framerate in game no frame drops..But when i change it to ddraw i have 100% interlaced screen and ingame massive frame drop ?? I guess there is no fix ? Or is there any version with functional ddraw swtiching so i could test it ???

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 10:38:36 am »
The problem you're seeing is probably because your CPU is on its bare limit with that game, and because ddraw is a bit slower than d3d, it triggers the issue while d3d doesn't.

You could try versions 0.157 or 0.158 which should have the ddraw/d3d feature working fine, however, once ddraw is set it's not set back to d3d so the issue would still exist.

As an alternative you could use -video d3d & -frame_delay 1 (or 2, or 3). That will bypass the interlaced problem although you'll get same tearing during that part.

My advice however is to switch to super resolutions. That will reduce the number of mode switches to just two maybe (240p/480i), making the intro much smoother.
Steps to create a log:

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 10:59:58 am »
Again thank you for help..I have switched to super resolution and it's much quicker even on multi monitor setup the screen switching from interlaced to progresive is fast.However the problem persist it does still stays at 50% interlaced no matter what..I think my CPU is on par with needs of emulation i can run the game in this mode w/o frame drops...What's the proper solution calamity :) ?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:02:38 am »
Combined with super resolutions you didn't try d3d with frame_delay as suggested, did you?
Steps to create a log:

wmanst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:19:56 am »
Pardon me i was so in the hurry test it out :) Now i have set video d3d and frame_delay 1 and it sure goes 100% interlaced in rsgun good job :)

-Tested sonic 2 interlaced screen 100% fps no drops

-However when testing cotton boomerang i get to title screen well and i get 65-100% but it's not locked as before at 50%

-Question is how acurate is the windows CPU usage i have it on secondary screen and i can see almost full activity in one core ? Well i know multithreading is disabled by default but it shall use two cores no ?

-What does frame_delay do exactly ?

Again thanks

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »
cottonbm needs ridiculous CPU. I've never seen it run 100%

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »
-Question is how acurate is the windows CPU usage i have it on secondary screen and i can see almost full activity in one core ? Well i know multithreading is disabled by default but it shall use two cores no ?

No.

-What does frame_delay do exactly ?

A bit long to explain, but there's plenty of read about it in this subforum. For instance:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,139490.msg1442554.html#msg1442554

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,139130.msg1439588.html#msg1439588

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142357.msg1474536.html#msg1474536

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:00:27 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log: