Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Ion Elite Edge 2006 hardware upgrade  (Read 3305 times)

tthorn125

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 05:59:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Ion Elite Edge 2006 hardware upgrade
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:23:39 pm »
Hi all,

I recently purchased the above machine and would like to upgrade the motherboard.  It's quite loud, so I have another power supply coming as well.

I've read that the Intel D945GCLF2D Atom is an acceptable replacement for the Aurora, is it also the case for the Elite Edge?  Everything works as is, but I've read that the ECS boards are very likely to fail.  Thoughts?

Thanks
Toby
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:17:29 pm by tthorn125 »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:34 am
Re: Megatouch Ion Elite Edge 2006 hardware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
You will need a bunch of pcb stand offs and you will need to make a itx-atx mount template. I suggest using clear plexiglass and a utility razor knife and dremmel if you have one. I make conversion kits but they are made to order. If your handy, have at it. If not, send me some pics of your back case with the internals removed and i can make one for you. I am actually surprised nobody sells these on flea bay considering these ECS boards die all the time and are hard to find.

But one thing i should point out is the D945GCLF/2D boards will not work with any ION software version below 2009.5. In that case your best (cheapest) option is the non-official Asus A7n8x-vm/la. :cheers:

tthorn125

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:40 pm »
Thanks.  Currently software is 2011.

I'm very competent with computer hardware and internals, but not intimate with Megatouch.  New to the whole line.

You don't think that it'll line up at all?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:32 pm »
Thanks.  Currently software is 2011.

I'm very competent with computer hardware and internals, but not intimate with Megatouch.  New to the whole line.

You don't think that it'll line up at all?

No the itx boards dont line up to the mounts on the ION  Evo cases. You need to basicly make a template from your ECS board and find a good spot to mount the itx board to the template. Bottom line is its a bit of work. But worth the effort. Those intel boards will last 10x longer then any of the other ION mobo's.

tthorn125

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »
I've read on many sites that ATX and mini-atx / mini-itx are the same 4 screw holes.  Are you saying that the ECS boards are their own configuration?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »
I've read on many sites that ATX and mini-atx / mini-itx are the same 4 screw holes.  Are you saying that the ECS boards are their own configuration?

On the purple ECS board, only the holes on the back corners have mounts on the Ion case. The front gets inserted into slots. Its hard to explain. I suggest you open it up and look. You will see what i am talking about.