Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: custom fitting side art  (Read 1208 times)

Iceman81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2018, 05:57:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
custom fitting side art
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
i have a bartop that i'm trying to do the turtles in time graphic.  Along with this particular side art, i find that most do not fit my cabs to where you either lose a lot of the graphic or you get it to fit and the part that lines up with the CP has no art(which i guess is okay if its a background color that matches the cab)

is there any way in photoshop to manipulate the graphics to achieve this with out completely distorting the image, because i am apparently terrible at creating my own art...

if attached the original art and the mach up that i did to illustrate what i mean.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: custom fitting side art
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
BEst way to do it would be using the quick mask tool to get each of the images onto a separate layer by masking them out to select them individually ( Zoom in close for selecting as needed to get a good outline selected) and the copy/pasting them to a new layer so that way you have the images as pieces and can move them around as needed for placement - then get a complete background image (either find a new one or use clone tool or cut/paste to cover the other objects to get a full background image) without the characters that can be used for the background and adjusted to fit the side then you can place the background by itself and then add the characters where they need to be.

It might be more work that way getting things ready but in the long run will look beteer since you do not need to distort things to get them to fit.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: custom fitting side art
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:53:16 pm »
I'm not a pro but your images look like they would be pretty easy to clip using the magic wand or the magnetic lasso.  I just quickly used the magnetic lasso and was able to quickly clip out the rightmost turtle. You could then reapply your images to a new resized background layer.  Make your canvas size the same size that your cabinet would occupy in inches if it were a full rectangle.  Then when you're done you can save it as pdf and print in adobe as multi-page with cut lines and tape it all together and see if it fits.  I found printing it first black and white to check fit really helped me with my last project.