Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: does anyone use an "L" shaped" bracket to hold the plexi glass snug?  (Read 987 times)

j1345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2020, 03:38:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I'm STILL building the vigolix expanded version.

I nailed the monitor mount a tad too high and the monitor is almost flush with the angled edge of the Vigolix.  So to mount the plexi I would need to rest it directly on the angle of the plywood. 

Does anyone use an "L" shaped piece of molding to secure the plexi. 

Also I'm not seeing in any of the posts how the plexi is held flush in the regular builds...can someone post some picts of that?

Thanks!

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
Re: does anyone use an "L" shaped" bracket to hold the plexi glass snug?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:32 pm »
never used an L bracket but used 3/16 x 3/4 stock with rounded edges. I think it's used to attach screens on screened in porches. Hold the plexi in tight with the stock and screwed it down. It also makes it cleaner if your cut on your plexi is not exact. Also you can use velcro L brackets or whatever holds the plexi down or floats ur boat.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: does anyone use an "L" shaped" bracket to hold the plexi glass snug?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:38 am »
I have used screws to secure the plexi. And I have secured at top and bottom by being behind the speaker panel and control panel, and use nothing on the sides. But I don't think either would be a good option on your project.
Can you not lower the monitor a bit? Maybe then you would have room to put L shaped aluminum, turned so one side goes between monitor and wood panel, that way it looks like a flat piece going down each side of the plexi.
Im sure it's too late to do it, but it would be nice if you could route a slot on each side to allow the plexi to slide into the wood, the edge of the plexi would then be completely hid.

hycday

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2020, 04:27:02 pm
Hi,

I am designing a second version of a bartop and I saw that recently which gave me some ideas:

Is this what you are referring to?

day

j1345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2020, 03:38:08 am
Thanks!  Not what I was referring to but gave me some ideas on how to solve my prob. 

:)