Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Games List Order in MA Doesn't Seem To Work For Me  (Read 2204 times)

grippie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Games List Order in MA Doesn't Seem To Work For Me
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:35 pm »
I'm trying to figure out why the games list in MA doesn't seem to allow changing the order. I have a simple example for TG16 where Legendary Axe II shows up before the original like this.

Legendary Axe II, The
Legendary Axe, The

That shoots my OCD up into the atmosphere. Another TG16 instance is Bonk III shows up before I and II. I used the preferences dialog to move them around and hit "Save List" however they are always in the wrong order. The .lst file is not read only and it shows the date as modified. I tried setting this in prefs, inside and outside of MA.

I have also used the games list converter to translate it to a txt and moved the text around that way, then convert back to an lst. No dice either.

Anyone get this to work? I want to flesh out my MA with lists. It will be safer to have the adult games only available by going into the lists and selecting them. You know, so my 7 year old nephew doesn't end up playing gal pals 4 n stuff.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Re: Games List Order in MA Doesn't Seem To Work For Me
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:04 am »
OK, so I think the base list probably can't be edited this way. I created a copy of it and it edited fine. It says it will overwrite every time a rescan happens. Here's my thought. i'lll just edit the list in a temp one and overwrite the full main one on the file system (preferences directory). As long as it doesn't rescan the data It should work.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:19 pm »
So essentially I had to change my ROM and all media files on the OS to get this to work. Once in order on the OS, they show up properly in MA. Annoying, but it's working for now.

so I changed from this:

Legend of Zelda II, The
Legend of Zelda, The

to:

Legend of Zelda I, The

Legend of Zelda II, The

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:58:41 pm »
Sick of me yet?

So it seems that this only happens when the prefix "The" is appended to the end of the file for sorting.

Legendary Axe, The
Legend of Zelda II, The

etc.

Games like

Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3

Show up fine so i'm just going to rename (remove the 'The') the files for these few dozen instances and be done with it.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:56:26 pm »
I have been editing my rom titles as well. I changed all the "THE" roms to be at the beginning versus ignoring the "THE"  :laugh2:

Ex:

Legend of Zelda, The
Legend of Zelda II, The

are now:

The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda II

It's because most people use two "I"s  instead of two "1"s  so it's going off of the I instead of the "L" in Legend.

Make sense? Sure, I have like 20 roms that start with "The", but it makes it more in order. I just recently switched over like 197 SNES roms because of my OCD, removing all the (u), or (i), or (prototype), or (Japan) from the descriptions so now it reads just the game titles. If I kept a Japanese version, I just entered it without the brackets

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~