Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix/Replace Leaf Switches vs. Replace Joystick?  (Read 1807 times)

TurboC--

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 12:23:05 am
  • No one can defeat the quad laser!
Fix/Replace Leaf Switches vs. Replace Joystick?
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:28:10 pm »
My original Pac-man controller doesn't want to go right anymore, the leaf switch isn't making enough contact.  (Also one of the leaf-switch buttons is acting flaky.)  I tried bending the right leaf switch a bit without disassembling, but it doesn't help.   I wondered if there was a way I could fix existing leaf switches through bending / cleaning?  If not, would it be better for me to try to replace leaf switches, or just get a whole new controller?  I tried to find an original Pac-man controller for sale but didn't have any luck so far.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
    • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
Re: Fix/Replace Leaf Switches vs. Replace Joystick?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:52:58 am »
I would take the entire stick apart clean bend as needed and put it back together. Also its called pacman Bally/midway 4 way stick use that for searching. from time to time they pop up on ebay. I used to buy and sell them at one point knowing they are hard to find. Good Luck!

for centering grommet: http://www.twistywristarcade.com/other-parts/18-midway-rubber-joystick-centering-grommet.html

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »
I think I will have to desolder it though, right?  Was hoping to avoid that but oh well.  Any tips on PROPERLY bending the leaf switch back into shape, and how would one properly clean the switches?  Any links to that effect?  Thanks!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:00 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:35:13 am »
Any tips on PROPERLY bending the leaf switch back into shape, and how would one properly clean the switches?  Any links to that effect?  Thanks!

Make sure the leaves are straight and spaced the way they should be.  Any adjustment should be made as close to the body of the switch as possible.  Do not use any kind of abrasive material to try to clean the contacts.  If this has been done, then any plating is likely gone at this point, and required maintenance will likely become much more frequent.  The only way leaf switch contacts should be cleaned is by using thick, uncoated plain white paper / card stock.  Simply place a piece between the contacts, pinch them together and pull the paper out.  You'll want to do this several times, until the paper comes out mostly clean.  The first couple of times, you'll likely see a dark line on the paper.  This is the corrosion / dirt that is causing your issues.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:00:18 pm »
Any tips on PROPERLY bending the leaf switch back into shape, and how would one properly clean the switches?  Any links to that effect?  Thanks!

Make sure the leaves are straight and spaced the way they should be.  Any adjustment should be made as close to the body of the switch as possible.  Do not use any kind of abrasive material to try to clean the contacts.  If this has been done, then any plating is likely gone at this point, and required maintenance will likely become much more frequent.  The only way leaf switch contacts should be cleaned is by using thick, uncoated plain white paper / card stock.  Simply place a piece between the contacts, pinch them together and pull the paper out.  You'll want to do this several times, until the paper comes out mostly clean.  The first couple of times, you'll likely see a dark line on the paper.  This is the corrosion / dirt that is causing your issues.

I did this at ZapCon this weekend when P1 on Macross stopped firing. I used a piece of a flier someone had on hand, put it between the leaf contacts on my GGG True-Leaf Pro, pulled it a couple of times, and it worked great!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

benarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 04:59:32 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:38:07 pm »
Fixing it should be easy - if you need new leafs, which is unlikely, you can buy them all day on eBay.

There's nothing like the real thing - leaf switches, leaf joysticks - especially for a classic like PacMan.

Good tips from RandyT.

TurboC--

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:36 am »
The leaf switch needs bent, but I can't bend it enough while it's attached.  I was hoping to get a basic guide for properly bending leaf switches to the correct position without damaging them.  One thing I don't get is why there are 3 electrical plates rather than 2.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:53 pm »
Spring-Steel  gets less springy over the course of its use.   The metal fatigues... and once that happens... no matter how many times you try to bend it, it will not stay powerfully springy.

As such, replacements are recommended.

The third leaf, is to provide extra strength and give greater spring tension.  It can help to prevent the leaf getting bent too far back as well.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
Spring-Steel  gets less springy over the course of its use.   The metal fatigues... and once that happens... no matter how many times you try to bend it, it will not stay powerfully springy.

Wrong. Assuming the steel was used in the manner it was intended, you can theoretically move it for an infinite number of cycles that do not exceed the endurance limit. There will be no effect on the metal's structure.

Any fault that has arisen with the switches leaves is more likely due to misuse, corrosion, or some other factor other than fatigue.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:03 pm »
Sorry.. but you are mistaken.

I have plenty of old spring driven toys to prove it.   The ones that have stops so that you cant over-wind them.

Metal can and does fatigue.  Spring steel may not break,  but its spring force Will diminish over a certain period of use.