Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daytona USA - Converting a Twin cabinet "correctly".  (Read 97772 times)

Vegetable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2021, 11:53:10 am
Re: Daytona USA - Converting a Twin cabinet "correctly".
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2019, 05:45:09 am »
Thanks - I had calibrated in Windows early on in the conversion - so I've now reset that to default: but unfortunately the problem remains. Seems strange, as I can't think why there'd even be any feedback at that point in Sega Rally (but never having played the real thing, I have no idea).

I did have to take apart the whole steering assembly, so it's entirely possible the pot centre position is not what it should be - any idea what the correct centre value should be (I guess I could plug it into the drive board and use the 7 segment display). In Model2 emulator calibration reports Min as 9024, centre is about 32700 and Max is 56669.

One other question: what does the small pot on the driveboard do? Mine is currently turned all the way in one direction, but I can't find any mention of it on the online Daytona manuals.

TobiasRieper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2023, 06:10:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2019, 07:18:42 pm »
Hi SailorSat.  Ive given daytona a break but im back to it again. The gears shift from 1,2 3 and then when i shift to 4 it goes to 3 again. Also the vr blue button registers input but the lamp does not light. All the others light and ive checked the connections. Any idea what they could be? Thanks :)

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »
Did you cross check the blue buttons bulb in the other buttons?
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

TobiasRieper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2019, 07:25:28 pm »
No but i did try another set on buttons from another car. I will swap bulbs tommorow. Its the gears i really need to fix :)

TobiasRieper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2019, 07:39:45 pm »
I may try another gear stick? Maybe im just not doing it right. I double click the shift 1 key in emu whilst holding gear postition 1, i do the same for postition 2,3 and 4 etc.

Vegetable

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2021, 11:53:10 am
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2019, 07:31:27 am »
Any ideas on things I could try to fix the odd behaviour of the FFB on my setup? Do the FFB settings in the Model2 config file need to be fiddled with?

TobiasRieper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2019, 04:23:06 am »
Hi Sailorsat.  Good news: All the shifters work!  Bad news is my ffb  no longer works. I re did all the connections and everything works apart from the force feedback. This had worked before without a problem. If anyone could help me that would be great. Pin 9 is connected to adying,  anyone know what could be missing? Is there a checklist of wires I need to make sure that the feedback works? I figured out the blue light faulty ULN module.

If anyone could help me that would be amazing. I'm tearing my hair out .

discoman101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2019, 10:16:04 am
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30:38 am »
Hello SailorSat

I have been reading your Topic: Daytona USA - Converting a Twin cabinet "correctly"

I have some cabinets i am converting but i am using some newer games on them:

- Daytona USA 3
- Mario Kart DX

i would like to also have the start and change view light and race leader lights to work with the games when i set them up in the new cabinets.

Is this something you can help me with please, i am not sure if i use a PACDrive or Arduino board.

Any help with my project would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Regards Paul

eviltracy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2019, 02:49:04 am
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2019, 02:18:48 am »
Hi,

Do you have any of the kits available, or board cad files/schematics for sale?  I have a single daytona cabinet with a bad video board, and would love to convert it to a PC.

Thank you!

polasky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2019, 06:22:17 pm
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2019, 03:27:08 pm »
Hi.
You sell 2xkits for my Daytona twin?
Price?

RenegadeR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2022, 01:03:41 pm
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2019, 08:07:07 pm »
So I am converting my Daytona 2 USA deluxe into a multi racer. I use an arduino mega and hoodloader2 to make the arduino act as a usb controller, i made my own little program to capture output data like from supermodel 3 and mame and the m2emulator (I used a cheat engine finder to look for the force feedback codes in m2emulato) so games like Scud race, Daytona 2, Dirt Devils and Emergency Call Ambulance work very nice and with good force feedback, I also got Sega Rally 2 to work but feedback isnt correct yet, so I also did something similar like SailorSat I presume, so in my program i made special force feedback commands for games like original Outrun, Turbo Outrun and Outrunners will do more later but they feel good and I have an Outrun Deluxe and the feedback on my Daytona 2 deluxe cabinet feels pretty close to the real deal :)

Now for my question, did anyone do a model 2 to model 3 code conversion, for now i ignore 0x70 and up and all below 0x10 that i get from m2 emulator but its far from perfect so did anyone make some table with the good conversion codes model 2 to 3?

Thanks!

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:54 am »
Waiting for a response to your question, I have one for you: would you mind opening a new thread where to share your project and code? I think arduino will be used more and more in the future, but at the moment there are only fragmented infos here and there of projects like yours. This makes difficult for arduino newbies understand how powerful the thing is. And on a side note: why did you use a Mega with flashed firmware instead of DUE that, as you know, emulates HID by default?
(Sorry for the OT and thanks)

RenegadeR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2022, 01:03:41 pm
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2019, 11:59:03 am »
so I use https://github.com/NicoHood/HoodLoader2 as a base for my code, it makes the 16u2 and the mega2560 available separately the 16u2 emulates the hid device and the mega 2560 does the input/output and I do a 250k bps serial connection between them to send data between them. So I am not sure if I can even make a thread as this is my second reply on this forum.

So I started this like 4 years ago hence the Arduino mega, but it stopped back then with the birth of my daughter, and now for the last 3 weeks I am working on it again and getting some really good results now.

Now I am working on the HyperSpin/Rocketlauncher interface will do some more testing today in my Daytona 2 deluxe cab.

gareth_iowc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 03:27:37 am
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »
Hm... The FFB eeprom for Sega Rally only supports movement in two directions, but at 32 steps or something like that.

There is a translation to play Sega Rally on a Daytona eeprom.
As both games use the same force feedback hardware it might be enough to simply switch the eeprom on the drive board.

Wow thx for the fast answer!! So i shoud put a eprom of Daytona so i can have FFB on both Sega Rally and Daytona? Same results on MAME or Model 3?

Thx again!

Hey jurulz

i use this so i can switch between daytona and sega rally

works great. you must power off the ffb board each time

viperboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 10:35:20 am
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2020, 10:17:49 am »
Back to topic - Model3 proof-of-concept done. (I guess BigPanik did it years ago :D)

I visited a friend who happens to own a scud race twin - As expected, the same setup works with Model3 out of the box.

we have a fair share of "wtf" moments though:
- we used a SCUD RACE drive board, and for some reason, SCUD RACE in SuperModel does NOT activate FFB in ADVANCED and EXPERT course.
[scud sends C6 (mode 6) to the drive board, which the drive board does seem to ignore?? - "translating" C6 to C7 made the feedback work]

- although it does work pretty well, there is flaw. each model3 drive board has a special ROM, and as it turned out, the commands 0x0* (I'll call em "EFFECTS") differ between games (others are fine).
scud and dayonta2 use "EFFECTS" when "bumping" into other cars.
At first glance they just "feel" different - however in some cases, scud "effects" stop all feedback for a brief moment - this makes daytona2 nearly unplayable as the feedback keep turning on and off when touching anything or drifting.
In the end we just filtered out 0x0* - which removed any "bumps" from scud and daytona2, but still makes a very nice experience.

Some day I need to try out every single effect on both drive board setups. maybe we can just translate some effects up and down.

In the end:
- model3 works (except effects for now) fine with scud and daytona2 (didn't test the other games yet [need to look up offsets], lemans24 and sega rally2 need to be translated for sure)
- the model3 drive boards handle "uncentering" in a different way than model2 drive boards do. [m2 uncentering keeps turning the wheel away from the center until the next command; m3 uncentering turns off after about 2 seconds]
- the model3 drive boards have a "vibration" command (0x3*) which model2 drive boards do not have.

we played virtua racing, daytona, sega rally, indy500, stcc, scud and daytona2 without problems.

(sorry for the mess, we just hooked up a teensy with some hot glue to a spare filter board)

Off-Topic - my friend changed all of his CRTs with 32" LCDs - and I have to admit, did a great job.
I didn't expect a 32" LCD to fit in a twin :D

He also happens to own these...

Sailorsat. Could you PM me the details on your friends 32" LCD Sega conversions ? I think I do not have enough posts to contact you via PM. Thanks

moto773

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2020, 03:28:21 pm
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2020, 08:10:08 am »
Did you cross check the blue buttons bulb in the other buttons?
SailorSat could you please send me an private massage ? i have some questions but about sega rally 2.. and since im new i think dont enough post to send you..
Thank you!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2020, 11:41:52 am »
Moto773, your first post is approved.

That approval auto-upgraded your account to "Jr. Member" so now you can send private messages.   :cheers:

Scott

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2020, 03:38:07 am »
Wouldn't it be better to post here and not via PMs questions so anyone can enjoy the answer? ;)

moto773

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2020, 03:28:21 pm
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2020, 02:49:22 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to post here and not via PMs questions so anyone can enjoy the answer? ;)
no problem for me.. since i get an answer.. :)
im looking for a kit to put in my twin sega rally 2... :) i understand about pinball's.. but about this things and computers.. not..  :banghead:

Dropabomb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 03:28:31 pm
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2021, 09:40:48 am »
Sailor set. Is there any chance we can talk about your setup? I’m trying to add the crowd monitor to my 4 Daytona’s. 2 twin sets. Thank you

Dropabomb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 03:28:31 pm
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2021, 12:18:51 pm »
This work is amazing.  Can I ask a couple of questions? First, what’s it costing to convert a pair of these? Do each need their own pc?  Just wondering what the rough cost to convert is? Also, I’ve got two sets of fully working twins that are running on original hardware but as I scroll through your pics and work it looks like you did a crowd monitor? How does that work? Does it display the race leader and switch between cars views or?  And to my next question, can you conceive of a way to take the origiNl hardware and create some sort of a crowd/overview monitor? Would love to add one for the people in the basement to follow along in the race.   Thanks again and heck of nice work!

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2021, 03:28:00 pm »
Yes, every cabinet needs a dedicated PC. The crowd monitor is a 9th PC, that is running a special software.
Is it possible to do with a real model2 - sure, but that would require extensive amount of work to either "hijack" the model2 memory somehow, or rewrite parts of the assembly.

Check out for some examples of the spectator screens.

Other than that... I can't provide any howto - however, you could take a look at the sources at https://github.com/SailorSat/daytona-utils - most of that stuff was done in Visual Basic 6.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

Mogsey1510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 10:07:05 pm
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2021, 10:05:10 pm »
Hello I’m currently trying to link a 8 player Daytona usa but am having trouble doing so there all on pc and I know it’s something to do with the emulation document if someone can show how it’s done that be a big helps thanks

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2023, 11:02:22 pm
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2021, 06:28:06 am »
Have a look at this..."SegaModel2v0.9.0Guide.zip" under the "Multiplayer" heading.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131527.0.html

Otherwise, there's heaps of info in other threads on here about setting up the Sega Model 2 emulator LAN using the "Token Ring" method.

...and then, if ya really wanna fry your brain :dizzy:... check out Sailorsat's other thread on the topic:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=133283.0

Hope this helps.

Cheers  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:32:36 am by XSFDriver »

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2021, 09:17:15 pm »
Yes, every cabinet needs a dedicated PC. The crowd monitor is a 9th PC, that is running a special software.
Is it possible to do with a real model2 - sure, but that would require extensive amount of work to either "hijack" the model2 memory somehow, or rewrite parts of the assembly.

Hi sailorsat, long time no speak, I hope your well 👍.
Quick question for you. Does the spectator mode work as a 3rd pc in a twin linked m2 setup that’s not using your arduino setup?

Thanks

EL_P

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2022, 08:40:33 am
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2022, 07:58:12 pm »
 :D

Check out for some examples of the spectator screens.

Other than that... I can't provide any howto - however, you could take a look at the sources at https://github.com/SailorSat/daytona-utils - most of that stuff was done in Visual Basic 6.

Hi Sailorsat

Sorry to post to this old thread I’ve followed your work closely and it’s amazing as as BPs which is the way I’ve ordered things to set up my pc conversion. I have a Daytona USA twin operating on coin, does this set up work on coin operation? Or is there away to adapt it to keep the original operation method. Any help would be appreciated as I haven’t started yet so want to know my options 

Gewargis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2022, 09:10:45 am
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2022, 08:58:53 pm »
Finally getting around to trying this out  by putting together a Daytona USA test bench for spare parts I have. So far the 2 drive boards I have tested only display -. on the 7 seg display.

Does the board compute the 7 seg value itself from the Steering B input or does it get it from somewhere else?

Both steering pots are working, board is getting 19v & 100v from the transformer, 5v/GND from power supply as well as the clutch/motor.
The wheel itself works as well as VR lights & pedals.....my shifter has 4 micro switches. If a wiring guide doesn't exist to drop it into a 3 wire setup I'll probably update the sketch to support straight through 4 inputs 1 for each gear.

Gewargis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2022, 12:47:37 pm »
Solved my drive board mystery...a couple of my boards are bad...found a working one and tuned the Steering B pot and that's good to go.
I'll create a diff thread on Drive Board repair options....

Still looking for a wiring diagram on if a 4 microswitch shifter drops into a 3 wire shifter setup. Plan B is to modify the sketch to support both styles.

Gewargis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2022, 10:49:44 pm »
Got my shifter running by wiring each of the 4 switches and disabling the decoder option for the Mega. Finally up and running!

Next I'll try to get FFB running with vjoy for other games. Anyone else set this up?

BigPanik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 06:02:58 pm
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2022, 03:00:00 pm »