Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat X - Configure Controls w/ IPAC?  (Read 44382 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Mortal Kombat X - Configure Controls w/ IPAC?
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2015, 12:57:36 pm »
Yeah the only time you are going to have that problem is if you are hot swapping stuff.  A sure fire solution is to run stuff through a hub... things are powered in sequence. 

evh347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 04:58:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 02:30:33 pm »
...As long as VJoy is running in the background, you shouldn't have any issues while inside MKX. I was able to get in/out of menus and fights just fine.
I tried getting VJoy to work for hours, even used the X-Arcade INI with no luck. I know how to set it up because I use it successfully with several other games but MKX just ignores it. Is there some other patch or something that you're using on your setup to get it to recognize a virtual joystick?

Unfortunately no. I'm running it exactly how I outlined in that post from yesterday. I was surprised that it worked because of how others were reporting that VJoy was not performing to expectations. I was expecting all sorts of headaches, but the only thing that took time was sorting out what buttons do what.

For those unfamiliar with MKX, you can get away with mapping just 5 buttons in VJoy for MKX. Of course, you have to map the directionals and the start button (options), but you only need to map Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, and Button 8 & 10.

1=X=FP
2=A=FK
3=B=BK
4=Y=BP
8=RT=Block
10=Options/Start

EDIT: I just discovered that if you don't map RB and LB in VJoy, you can't rotate left/right in 90 degree increments when walking thru the Krypt. So I guess you'll have to map those too.

If you want to throw, you can just press 1+2 together.
If you want to interact, you can just press 1+4 together.
If you want to flip stance, it's the same as an Xray which is 2+8+3 together.

Today, while messing around, I noticed VJoy was an "active" process in the Task Manager...but it wasn't actually running in the background. I killed the process and then clicked on the VJoy shortcut to restart. When VJoy re-opened, I had to reopen my MK.INI and then click on the "Enabled" radio box. I minimized it and started MKX. Works fine on my end.

This is probably just a game issue, but one thing I've noticed that's a little annoying at the player select screen is that if Player1 is on the left side of the cabinet and Player2 on the right, but Player2 picks a "Player vs Player" battle, his/her character will be on the left side and not the right. Essentially, whomever selects the style of the match to be played will always default to being the character selected on the left side of the character select (and eventually the arena). It doesn't differentiate based on which side of the control panel was activated. So I guess if you want to play from the side of the cabinet you're sitting/standing at, you have to decide who picks the style of the match.

Likewise, if Player2 is standing/sitting on the right side of the cabinet and chooses any One Player style match, the character select will always be from the left side and not the right. So that brings up a question of how does a single player ever pick their character on the right side (or avoid starting on the right side of the arena)?

Let me stress, this is only annoying as when the actual match starts, both players start flipping around all over the place and it probably doesn't matter in the long run. I was just making the observation. ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:18:48 pm by evh347 »

evh347

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2015, 12:47:45 am »
Bad thing about having VJoy installed.....it doesn't seem to play well with my PSX Dualshock when I hook it up using MotionJoy.

If VJoy was installed, when I go to configure my PSX Dualshock in ePSXe 1.9.25, the buttons will immediately default to something other than the button I inputted.

I unplugged every other USB device and was able to single out VJoy as the culprit. As soon as I uninstalled VJoy, I could then configure my PSX Dualshock normally within ePSXe.

I ordered a wired Xbox 360 controller because I've heard those are pretty much plug/play and I'm hoping it will play nice with VJoy installed. It would suck if just to play MKX I had to re-install VJoy every time.

SirTrentinton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2015, 08:16:32 am
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:32 am »
Here is what I'm going to try most likely....

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Versus-Controller/dp/B0051MQJWU/ref=sr_1_49?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1432013265&sr=1-49&keywords=arcade+stick

People hated the d-pad on these things and thus you can get them for peanuts.  Start, Back, LT and RT all have their own leads and the dpad (if you can call it that) uses microswitches, so it should be quite easy to hack.  For 10 bucks it's worth a try anyway.
Nice find! I've been on holidays for a while so haven't really given any thought to a work around in the software, but as you said at this point the extra time i'm likely to spend on a solutions probably outweighs the price tag of those badboys!

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 12:06:18 pm »
I attempted the ech347's method and was successful in getting vjoy to work with MKX.

The only issue I have is that on the main menu screen, the jstik jumps as if you have clicked the switch twice.  However this is only on the main screen, once you get to the character select, this bug goes away.

Also, for those wanting to do a fresh PC build and not deal with a pad hack, use a KADE encoder.  Since it emulates a HID USB, xbox, ps3, or ps2 controller, you can use that to connect your control panel controls to.  It works flawlessly, no vjoy, ipac, or pad hack needed.  The mapping is also much simpler using the KADE device.

Now that i know this is possible, I will be building a dedicated MKX machine for the collection.

evh347

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:56 pm »
I've upgraded to Windows 10 and it appears that even though VJoy seems to install okay, MKX completely ignores it.

There are new versions of VJoy, but there is no GUI interface like with version 1.0.

Anybody come up with a software solution similar to VJoy or care to share how they got VJoy working with Win10?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2016, 10:42:08 pm »
I ended up using kades for MKX.

However the WB called it quits on the MKX support, so i dumped PC and went console.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2016, 12:46:05 pm »
I've upgraded to Windows 10 and it appears that even though VJoy seems to install okay, MKX completely ignores it.

There are new versions of VJoy, but there is no GUI interface like with version 1.0.

Anybody come up with a software solution similar to VJoy or care to share how they got VJoy working with Win10?

Well that sucks.

I was going to suggest a solution to you for disabling vjoy while not in use (see here), as I struggled with a similar problem where vjoy would interfere with the x360ce hack on SFIV.  Launching vjoy and the game with an ahk script and calling devcon to enable/disable vjoy before/after playing the game, fixed that.

However, now it looks like Windows 10 put the kibosh on that.  I don't own MKX yet but if it's going to be this painful, when I get it I'll just play with my x360 gamepad and call it a day.  I struggled for years holding on to Windows XP to avoid these problems but it got to a point where I could not play more recent games in my cab, like Injustice.  Now that I use the PC inside the cab for actual modern PC gaming with my x360 gamepad and a long HDMI cable hooked up the family room TV upstairs, I'm not willing to keep the system in an outdated state just to be able to use my arcade controls on a few games that don't play nice.  It sounds like unless I get back into the hobby and hack some x360 pads I'm out of luck with this game.

I'm always remain hopeful a software solution will crop up, though.

By the way, I should mention that my Injustice / vjoy setup works fine in my machine with Windows 10 so don't discard there being some sort of issue on your end.  I'll let you know if I think of something or if I buy the game and get it to work.

Good luck!
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2016, 02:29:13 pm »
I ended up using kades for MKX.

However the WB called it quits on the MKX support, so i dumped PC and went console.

^^ This ^^

The full and complete game will never be released on the pc so there isn't much point.  Also the game is horribly optimized, so it doesn't run smoothly on the typical "middle of the road" pcs that most people use for a mame cab. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2016, 03:03:23 pm »
eh, I picked up a steam key pretty cheap from some oddball website a month or two ago ($11 IIRC), but then it wouldn't run on my cab because I only had a 512mb video card.
I still haven't seen the game launch.   :lol  :'(
Finally gave in and ordered a 2GB 750ti the other day.
Not sure how well that will do, but at least the game will launch.

I don't mind running newer games at 1280x720 with medium quality settings on the cab.
I'm used to playing old, low resolution games on it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:31 pm »
If I can find a good virtual 360 controller program (or make one... I'm just not sure what I need) I'm going to just buy the xbox one XL  version and stream it.  I was thinking of doing that for the few arcade games on it (like Killer Instinct).

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
The full and complete game will never be released on the pc so there isn't much point.  Also the game is horribly optimized, so it doesn't run smoothly on the typical "middle of the road" pcs that most people use for a mame cab.
Well, PC games go fear really cheap a year after release so I've just been waiting for a good deal, knowing there are issues with this port.  It does suck that WB has not had an honest go at PC games and now seems to be quitting the medium altogether, at least for its fighters since they are not releasing the Kombat Pack 2 on the PC.  I suppose it's not lucrative enough for them to care.  Probably the initial success of SFIV on the PC drove WB to port its fighters to the PC but that seems to be dying out now.  Actually, WB games in general have a bad track record on the PC (Arkham Knight).

Regrettably, Aliens and Predator are childhood favorite movies of mine and I have a soft spot for the franchises although most of the recent work on them has ranged from mediocre to horrid (AvP Requiem).  Having both in the same game would have been nice.  Incidentally, I'm currently going through the 2010 AvP game and I'm having a good time although it's not particularly remarkable.  At least the aliens look more standard than in MKX, where their arms look pretty chunky.
"The Manuel"

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »
If I can find a good virtual 360 controller program (or make one... I'm just not sure what I need) I'm going to just buy the xbox one XL  version and stream it.  I was thinking of doing that for the few arcade games on it (like Killer Instinct).

Look up the brooks Universal fighting boards, I just installed 2 for my xboxone and they work pretty good.  I also went xboxone for Killer instinct as well.  However Sony bought up the exclusive rights to Tekken and Streetfighter, so those won't hit the xboxone.  I guess payback for the killer instinct BS microsoft pulled.

I'm sitting on 800.00 pc now because of the drop of that port, on top of that the brooks boards aren't compatible with my gaming mobo, so i just got hosed all the way around.  I'm through with PC ports, final burn.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:17 am »
I think the ps4 has a streaming service.  Mind you that means you have to buy a xb1 AND a ps4, but there are options. 

Actually all sources point to SFV being a glitchly, incomplete mess.  Mind you I'm sure they will fix it eventually, but it's going to be months before it even has the arcade mode.  The game IS getting a pc release and aside from input issues Capcom usually does a pretty good pc port.  As for Tekken... well... it's Tekken... no big loss there.  ;) Also expect SFV Turbo Hyper Edition to be released on all consoles.  They've pulled this "exclusive" stuff before.  RE4 was supposed to be a gamecube exclusive and Nintendo helped with the publishing.  It still got a release on the ps2 a couple of years later. 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2016, 10:10:05 am »
I think the ps4 has a streaming service.  Mind you that means you have to buy a xb1 AND a ps4, but there are options. 

Actually all sources point to SFV being a glitchly, incomplete mess.  Mind you I'm sure they will fix it eventually, but it's going to be months before it even has the arcade mode.  The game IS getting a pc release and aside from input issues Capcom usually does a pretty good pc port.  As for Tekken... well... it's Tekken... no big loss there.  ;) Also expect SFV Turbo Hyper Edition to be released on all consoles.  They've pulled this "exclusive" stuff before.  RE4 was supposed to be a gamecube exclusive and Nintendo helped with the publishing.  It still got a release on the ps2 a couple of years later.

This is good news, about the hyper edition, will be a good addition to the fighting arsenal in the MKX cabinet.

What funny is the SFIV suite was on the 360, but out of the 104 backwards compaitble games for the xboxone, not one includes any of the SfIV 360 games.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »
The Premium Edition of this game, which includes Kombat Pack #1, is on sale again at Bundle Stars for $12.50.  I'm tempted to buy it but if I can't play it with my arcade controls, there is not much point in it for me.

I don't suppose anybody has come across any recent breakthroughs on getting this to work?
"The Manuel"

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
The Premium Edition of this game, which includes Kombat Pack #1, is on sale again at Bundle Stars for $12.50.  I'm tempted to buy it but if I can't play it with my arcade controls, there is not much point in it for me.

I don't suppose anybody has come across any recent breakthroughs on getting this to work?

Not sure what you mean, the fix is in the thread, i got it to work with an IPAC, KADE and Brooks board

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »
Not sure what you mean, the fix is in the thread, i got it to work with an IPAC, KADE and Brooks board

I'm referring to the fact that it appears evh347's method does not work with Windows 10, according to this post.

Do you have it working with Windows 10?
"The Manuel"

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »

I'm referring to the fact that it appears evh347's method does not work with Windows 10, according to this post.

Do you have it working with Windows 10?

Ah ok i see the post now, no i was on windows 7, didnt see a need to upgrade to 10 for arcade machine.  I'm like you an held onto to xp as long as i could, so now im doing the same with 7 on any arcade build since its still supported.

Have you tried running Vjoy in win 7 compatability mode?

I just use a 360 stick on my win 10 PC and went console on my arcade rig.  The whoorahh has kinda died out for MKX on PC, too many people burned so you wont see much support on it.  Your only out 12.00 just get it and toy around with it, worse case scenario use a jstick or build you a small fightstick with a kade.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:07:38 pm by rablack97 »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »
That's fine.  Worst case scenario I can simply play it with my xbox 360 controller.  I just wanted to be able to use my arcade cabinet's controls.  The cab doubles as a gaming PC for me.  In fact, I hardly every play arcade games anymore except fighters occasionally.  I also have more games than time to play them so I can wait for basement bargain prices too.

Thanks for the tips.
"The Manuel"

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2016, 02:16:36 pm »
That's fine.  Worst case scenario I can simply play it with my xbox 360 controller.  I just wanted to be able to use my arcade cabinet's controls.  The cab doubles as a gaming PC for me.  In fact, I hardly every play arcade games anymore except fighters occasionally.  I also have more games than time to play them so I can wait for basement bargain prices too.

Thanks for the tips.

Same here all i play is fighters occasionally, another idea, is to look at Killer instinct PC forums, the support level will be way more active, im sure since that just dropped people will inquire about IPAC controls and getting that to work as i'm sure it will have the same issues that MKX had. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2016, 02:21:06 pm »
Good idea.  I'll keep an eye on that.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »
I finally picked this game up when the Premium edition went for ~$9 at gamesplanet.de.  It is currently at $12.50 at Bundle Stars and seems to be at that price almost all of the time.

I'm happy to report that the vjoy method I use for Injustice to map my arcade control panel buttons (keyboard encoder) works just as well with this game.  I was up and running in an hurry, having the setup from Injustice already.  If anything, I was pleasantly surprised to find almost by accident that the key blocking feature in vjoy works fine in Windows 10, which helps a lot because there is now no conflict with keyboard keys that are hard-coded to navigate the game's interface, if you have those keys mapped to your arcade controls.  This feature used to not work on Windows 7 and I always assumed it would not work on Windows 10 either but it does.

The only setup difference between Injustice and MK10 is that this game shows the mapped inputs as xbox controller labels: A, B, X, Y, RB, RT, etc., whereas Injustice would show them simply as numbered inputs: 1, 2, 3,...

The only caveat with the vjoy.ini method is that the drivers that vjoy installs may interfere with the x360ce hack used for other games like SFIV.  I get around that by automatically disabling the driver upon game exit and re-enabling it when launching the game with my AHK launching script.  This may not be necessary for everyone's setup but it's a very feasible solution.  The code I use to disable/enable the vjoy drivers can be found here.

If anybody needs more details to get this to work, just post here and I'll help.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:42 am »
If anything, I was pleasantly surprised to find almost by accident that the key blocking feature in vjoy works fine in Windows 10, which helps a lot because there is now no conflict with keyboard keys that are hard-coded to navigate the game's interface, if you have those keys mapped to your arcade controls.  This feature used to not work on Windows 7 and I always assumed it would not work on Windows 10 either but it does.

Yeah windows 10 is an odd beast.  As you may or may not know I've been at this since 1999.  Many of my old as crap legacy projects that haven't worked right since windows xp, magically work again.  Then again some things break, like video card management software. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2016, 07:30:12 am »
Overall, I would say I'm in a good place right now with Windows 10.  There is nothing I'm missing after my transition from Windows 7, which was a nice OS to begin with.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2016, 01:47:27 pm »
The "Premium" version of the game is at $10 now at the Humble Store.  It's really a good deal.  As some may know, the XL update is coming to PC after all on 04-Oct.  Current owners will get the XL update (netcode, balance and a some bonus content).  Premium owners at that point would only have to buy the Kombat Pack 2 to get the full version.  I don't know what kinds of deals we'll see for the full XL package in the near future.
"The Manuel"

ArcadeBliss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2023, 11:47:26 pm
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2016, 01:59:11 am »
Anyone figure out a good way to get their arcade cabinet's IPAC to work with the new MKX game for PC?
Yes use this: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151830.0.html

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2016, 08:21:06 am »
Use the U360 in output mode with an Ipac. I did that yesterday and it works.