Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OND Build - Hyperspin/MAME/Street Fighter Theme - Completed  (Read 23369 times)

edge929

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2020, 08:51:02 pm
  • MAME Cab = Childhood in a box
OND Build - Hyperspin/MAME/Street Fighter Theme - Completed
« on: April 15, 2015, 07:42:48 pm »
I finally finished my OND designed cab and wanted to post my experience so others could learn from it, just like I learned a ton from reading hours and hours from various threads. This was my first build and I chose to go with my favorite arcade game growing up, Street Fighter (specifically II). From initially thinking about making the cab to completing it took me about 4 months but most of that waiting was due to the winter/cold. It was too cold to work in my garage (or even paint) so I spent Jan/Feb designing my graphics and setting up MAME/Hyperspin/Emulators. Below I detail the parts and process of my building experience. Since I learned so much from others on here, I'm just trying to give back a little. Hopefully it will help someone with their build.

Thank You's
  • OND - A huge thanks to OND and everyone who tweaked his cabinet plans. Without these I probably would not have even attempted to build an arcade cabinet.
  • timhisu - Had you not blazed the trail with your own cab, I wouldn't have followed. Thanks for answering my never-ending questions.
  • fr_303 - Your SF cab was obviously my inspiration. I hope you look at mine and think "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery". I loved your designs and while I tried to use different characters, I quickly found only 3-4 worked well.
  • ChanceKJ  - Your flickr album from your Flynn build was invaluable. You have a lot of hidden treasure (details) in those pictures that I found very useful. Spent hours studying them.
  • dalio - Ideas from your OND build. Your cab made me decide to go with a 4:3 LCD. I loved your Nintendo theme.
  • Martijn - Your SF cab was also an inspiration for my design. A mish-mash of yours and fr_303's cab.

Flickr Album - I've added descriptions where I thought more detail was needed. I didn't get many MDF-build pictures since I was trying to bang it out in a 3-day weekend with my brother.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21400288@N05/sets/72157651964841131/

Youtube Videos

Graphics - I made all the graphics myself. Having background in web design I was no stranger to Photoshop but had never created print graphics before (300 dpi). I got all images online. Some were already in vector/print format, most were not. The SF logo I was able to find in eps format already and I made minor tweaks to it. The character art can be found through google images in JPG format. They are from "Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix" which was a download-only release for PS3 and Xbox 360. I had to convert all of these into vector format using Illustrator. I probably spent more time on the graphics (during the cold months) than I did on the actual cabinet. The website slagcoin.com was invaluable for the button layouts. The site provides all layouts already in 300dpi. I made many test prints of just the layout and eventually the entire CP (pictures of cardboard mockup). By the time I printed the final version, I was on a first-name basis with the guy at OfficeMax. When I first started out, I contacted a couple of graphic artists from this website but none responded. I knew that asking to use someone else's graphics wasn't the right solution so I just made them myself. In the end, they really make the cabinet and I'm glad I did it myself. The sides are sticky-back vinyl I had done locally through FastSigns. Putting the sides on wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I watched the videos on this forum and took my time. I had no help beyond painters tape and paper-weights. Note that I do NOT recommend using clamps. I tried these and they damaged my paint a little. I made sure to leave excess and fold it over the edges into the T-molding slot. This will help prevent the edges from coming-up.

Control Panel - Dimensions are 14" x 29 1/2". This gives two inches of overhang on each side of the OND cab. The button layout I used was "Hori" standard spacing 300 ppi Link. I used 5/8" MDF and found 0.100 thick acrylic from Home Depot. It's not quite .125 that is 1/8" but it's the closest I could find. The height of the CP was calculated to have the CP top align with the angular cut for the bezel. This may vary a little on your build so do the math when you get there.

Monitor - Samsung 214T 21.3" 4:3 LCD, got lucky and found one on ebay used for $107 shipped to my door. Took a chance and am very happy with it. I really didn't want black bars on the side with a 16:9 monitor and most of the games I planned on playing were Gamecube or earlier. With that said, I do have SF4 on Steam and it scales correctly. Good response time (8ms) and the second largest 4:3 LCD I've heard of (behind the 22.6" Planar WS231).

Speakers - Logitech Z213, basic 2.1 system. The speakers are barely 2" in diameter but they put out decent sound. Didn't want to mess with an amplifier. If I did it all over again, I would probably go with a littler nicer/louder speakers but have no regrets here.

Speaker Grills - These were the best/cheapest grills I could find that didn't show screws. They were much bigger in diameter than my speakers but they look great. ChanceKJ used the same ones on his build. If you use these, plan on using epoxy like we did to keep the covers on.

Computer - Used a Core i3 4370 since no emulator currently uses more than 4 threads (Dolphin is the most taxing one I use). Cheap B85 motherboard and 2x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM. Got a new nVidia 750 Ti for $100 for Steam (and future) games (SF4, Mortal Kombat Komplete, Injustice, King of Fighters 13). Used a 240GB SSD I had from another build. Used an old 120mm computer fan I had for the single exhaust fan. You can buy a 3-pin, 4-foot extension from Amazon.

Power Strip - This is a master/slave power strip. A Rocketfish branded one from Best Buy (on sale for $20). It allows me to use the computer as master and 4 plugs for slaves (LEDs, speakers, monitor, one extra). If you set Windows to shutdown on power button press, you have one button to rule them all!

Power button - Got this from performance-pcs.com. It was NOT cheap ($30 some bucks just for this) but it's such an important and visible part I didn't have much choice. The price included a 3.5 foot, braided cable they soldered for me.

LEDs - Just a cheap Chinese kit from Amazon. I had never used LED strips before this project so I watched a lot of Youtube videos on how to cut/connect/solder them, etc. Spent a lot of time with my soldering iron getting these just right on the bottom (90 degree angles) and in the decorative panel slots. I had plenty of Cat6 wiring laying around so I stripped them down to 4 wires and soldered them very carefully over many nights. I ended up with 3 strips for orange (bottom + 2 front strips) and one strip for the marquee. I order a power splitter, a second control box (to get white for the marquee) and an LED splitter for the orange control box. Total cost of all LED parts was about $40. I took off the waterproof covering since I've heard they can become brittle over a long period of time from the heat the LEDs produce. Plus, it made them easier to work with. It peels off, you just need to take your time (took me 20 minutes to do the entire roll).

Piano Hinge - I couldn't find black piano hinges anywhere (ebay had some, not big enough) so I decided to buy a 4' silver/nickel hinge at Lowes and spray paint it flat black. I had never worked with spray paint before so I didn't get my hopes up but it turned out really well. You can't even tell it's painted. I sanded the hinge before painting and scuffed it up pretty good. I put the screws in the end of a cardboard piece to hold them while I sprayed. The only difficulty here was ensuring the paint didn't scrape off the screws as I screwed them in. Use the correct size screw driver and do not let it slip. If you scratch one, just re-spray it. Take your time putting them in. It took me a good hour just to put the finished hinge on. Made a pilot hole and screwed in/out a regular, similar sized screw to lessen resistance when screwing in the painted screws.

USB/3.5mm Mount Extension - I found this on ebay. I wanted easy access to plug in headphones and controllers. I'm still working out an issue with plugging in headphones since the computer thinks the extension itself is headphones and turns off the main speakers.

Thick-door Cabinet Hinges - I used these for the control panel. Since I used 5/8" MDF I needed thick-door hinges. These Blum hinges from Lowe's are designed for 5/8" or 3/4" thickness. Another big reason to use these, apart from being completely hidden, is their adjustability. I was able to perfectly line up the CP top with the vertical sides of the cabinet so it just barely touches the T-molding.

T-molding - Nothing special, ordered 40' of 3/4" orange. Check ebay and the seller's actual websites (most have them) for lower prices. I did notice that T-molding does not like 90-degree corners, even if you cut out the corner. The rounder, the better. Had I known this, I would have rounded off my angles a little more but it's barely noticeable.

AC Power Entry Module  - You can find these on ebay but Amazon had one pretty cheap and reviews explained how to hook it up to 1/4" spade connectors. I triple-checked I had the connections correct by opening up the power strip and making sure the white/black/green wires were indeed neutral/hot/ground respectively.

Glass Bezel brackets - If you look closely in some of the pictures, you'll see the glass over the monitor is actually held in by some brackets (U channel). I found these in Walmart by the posters (not the poster frames) and they are just $3 plastic poster holders. They are cut to exactly 24" so you shouldn't need to alter them much. The glass thickness was 3/32" and it was a tight fit. I had to use a rubber hammer and very lightly tapped it onto the glass. Finally I used some 3M double-sided, thin foam tape to attach to the monitor bezel. Only downside to this is, it's not coming off. It took me nearly an hour to get the glass completely clean and lint free because once it's on, the one side is impossible to clean without taking out the monitor.

Marquee Brackets - I was going for a no-screws-showing look and didn't like any of the normal options nor did I want to use fancy magnets (looking at you ChanceKJ). I made sure the marquee MDF ends were vertically leveled and I ended up ordering some J-channel from displayproductsonline.com. Their website gave exact dimensions and I ordered 3 different sizes to be sure. If you go this route, be warned it's not cheap. Display Products usually deals with bulk purchases so they charge $10 for any order under $25. I reluctantly ordered from them after exhausting all other options. Thankfully they worked well. I devised a couple brackets to slip the top piece on and off. The marquee graphic is translucent vinyl sandwiched in two pieces of 0.08" thick acrylic (Optix brand from Lowes). I found the 1/4" J-channel to work the best (out of the 3mm, 6mm and 1/4" versions).

Cabinet Build - I don't have many pictures from the actual building of the cabinet since I was trying to bang it out in a 3-day weekend with the help of my brother. We used his basement shop and carried the assembled cab up the stairs when it was done (wasn't bad). I had all of the drill/router bits, plans and everything in-between ready to go. We used 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" MDF. The 1/2" was the for the back access door, bezel and inside shelf. The 5/8" was for the entire control panel (plus 1/8" acrylic for the top = 3/4" for the T-molding). I went through probably 100 pine 1x2 boards for the stripping needed at Lowes to find six straight ones. We used the two straightest ones for the long back runs. We improvised OND's plans in some areas and of course ran into some unanticipated problems (my CP top buttons were too far out to the edge, the box underneath went right through them). It took us 3 tries on the control panel to get it just right. The first try we mis-measured and it wasn't tall enough. The second try we found the button/edge problem. The third try we got it. Figuring out the angles for all of the top pieces took the most time. We made multiple test cuts on scrap wood for each angle. In total, it took the two of us about 25 hours to complete the cabinet build over 3 days and another day of me sanding before painting on the fourth day.

Painting - My painting skills peaked in 5th grade. This was the most difficult part of the build for me mainly because I was going for an ultra-smooth finish. I used Kilz solvent-based primer for the first time and ended up using too much so it pooled together in some areas. You can't really sand it off either, it's basically like sanding soft rubber. I used flat black paint to lessen the glare (specifically on the bezel). I used a 4" roller with a 3/8" nap. The rollers were supposed to be lint-free but they weren't. I ended up with some hairs in my paint. Doing it again, I would wash the rollers out and let them dry before using them. Actually, I might just invest in a paint sprayer to get a smoother finish. In the end, the paint came out to a light orange-peel texture. If I built another cabinet, I would probably just use a solvent-based paint/primer in one.

Miscellaneous Parts - I got most of my parts from ebay since they were usually the cheapest. Joysticks (Happ Competition), buttons (Happ), wiring/spade connectors, 1 1/8" forstner bit, 3/32" slot cutter bit, IPAC 2 controller, PCB mounting feet for IPAC 2, LED splitters, LED control box, etc. I used 2" rubber casters for the base each rated at 90 lbs. The front two are swivel/locking and the back two are non-swivel, non-locking. I was worried about the cabinet moving during heavy gameplay but it's so heavy once completed, combined with the front locking (enough clearance to get your fingers under there) that it's a non-issue, even on a cement basement floor.

Hyperspin - Another project I did during the cold months. I setup the MAME front-end and configured all emulators. Even as a programmer, the learning curve was a little steep but with enough tinkering I got the results I wanted. Lots of reading on the Hyperspin forums. You can see some of Hyperspin in my walk-around video (lots of youtube videos as well).

Cost - I created an Excel spreadsheet and kept track of every single purchase, including tool purchases (power miter, palm sander, jig-saw, etc) that I will use on other projects. After everything was all said and done, my total, with the tools was just under $1500. If you take out the various tool purchases, it comes to about $1000. You can easily get away with a $500 cabinet, it just depends on how finished you want it to be. Take away the vinyl graphics and that's a $250 savings. Use an older Penitum 4 or Core 2 Duo computer and save another $200-300. Have all the tools already? That's an easy $300.

Link to OND thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118612.0.html

Edit 12/5/16 - Attached original OND plans in metric.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:56:44 pm by edge929 »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
Re: OND Build - Hyperspin/MAME/Street Fighter Theme - Completed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:34 pm »
Cab looks very well done and I really like how well your thread is composed...good work all around  :applaud:.

fr_303

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2016, 01:23:36 am
  • 1st cab done!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:21 am »
Nice build  :cheers:

tomstewdevine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 11:02:57 pm
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:26 am »
Really great job.
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

XeviouS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 08:38:20 am
    • Noah's Arkade
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:03:27 am »
The workmanship on this machine is so crisp it almost looks like a render in the photo - excellent work!

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »
Thanks for the compliments but I assure you it's far from perfect. I prepared as much as I could but being my first build, there are blemishes in many places, you just need to look for them  ;)

get2daachoppaaaa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2015, 11:45:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:02:32 am »
This is a very nice cab. Do you have the measurements for the CP? How wide and tall is it? I like it better than the CP for OND. Thanks!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:17 pm »
Nice job! Props for going with a 4:3!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »
This is a very nice cab. Do you have the measurements for the CP? How wide and tall is it? I like it better than the CP for OND. Thanks!

Sure. The top of the control panel is 29.5" W x 14" H (or deep if you prefer) with a 1" overhang on three sides (front and sides). The back of the CP is 3 15/16" H and the front is 2 13/16" H (keep in mind this includes the bottom 5/8" piece) but this might vary slightly on your OND build. I used all 5/8" MDF. The CP will overhang each side of the cabinet by 2". I used an empty soup can I had laying around to trace the rounded corners (simple but effective).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:22:23 pm by edge929 »

get2daachoppaaaa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:42 am »

Sure. The top of the control panel is 29.5" W x 14" H (or deep if you prefer) with a 1" overhang on three sides (front and sides). The back of the CP is 3 15/16" H and the front is 2 13/16" H (keep in mind this includes the bottom 5/8" piece) but this might vary slightly on your OND build. I used all 5/8" MDF. The CP will overhang each side of the cabinet by 2". I used an empty soup can I had laying around to trace the rounded corners (simple but effective).

Thanks! And I'll definitely use the soup can, that's a great idea.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
As someone who bought a monitor with no VESA mounts for his cab, I'm shamelessly stealing the method you used to mount your monitor.  Here I was, getting ready to build some crazy, intricate wooden cage to hold it in place.  Why didn't I think of that?

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »
As someone who bought a monitor with no VESA mounts for his cab, I'm shamelessly stealing the method you used to mount your monitor.  Here I was, getting ready to build some crazy, intricate wooden cage to hold it in place.  Why didn't I think of that?

Trust me when I say you're not stealing it from me. Many have used this method. It's cheap and simple. I was a little skeptical at first but it works pretty well. I initially looked at doing a VESA mount but positioning them is the biggest pain. You pretty much have one chance to get it perfect.

get2daachoppaaaa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 01:39:13 pm »
Another quick question, what are the base measurements? I didn't see any in OND's plans. Thanks!

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

Trust me when I say you're not stealing it from me. Many have used this method. It's cheap and simple. I was a little skeptical at first but it works pretty well. I initially looked at doing a VESA mount but positioning them is the biggest pain. You pretty much have one chance to get it perfect.

Heh...I was interested to see the Flickr album after this comment to see if you found a better solution than the crappy metal strap solution I used.  Looks like you didn't, but found a way to use the same solution much more effectively. Nicely done.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:30:58 pm »

I'm not a thing I'm a human being! (veiled  reference to the Elephant Man movie there for those into oblique references to movies in their speak).   ;D He's done a good job eh? I also like the CP variation by the way.   :cheers: Ond

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 09:44:57 pm »
Another quick question, what are the base measurements? I didn't see any in OND's plans. Thanks!

These measurements are on the wiki for the OND build. The wiki has all the info on the thread plus some.

http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=Build_an_OND_designed_cab_Metropolis

get2daachoppaaaa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:47:07 am »
Thanks! Somehow I did not see the Wiki, got the plans from another site.

Thanks!

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 09:14:01 pm »
Very nice build I like the fighter theme and custom graphics
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

guidows

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2015, 06:44:07 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:01:15 pm »
Hi!
I was looking today in search of "inspiration" when I found your machine on pinterest and, ufff, is just perfect!!!! being myself also a fan of Street Fighter. I'm also trying to make one arcade machine for me with my favorite game of my youth: SF2, and, well, lots of old games to share with my kids.

I saw that the panel of the joystick is a little wider than the standard of OND, after a while using, do you think it's worth the wider of the panel?. The second question is about the size of the arcade machine: is comfortable to place a tray below the CP with a keyboard and mouse to play occasionally some shooting game (at my home I only have one computer ... my wife's mac... and I had choose a PC to the arcade that is similar to yours: i3 with GPU in orden to play SF4, so it would hurt me to have a PC and know that I can't play Call of duty from time to time).
Well, congratulations and thanks from Chile
Guido
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:18:08 pm by guidows »

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:18 pm »
Hi!
I was looking today in search of "inspiration" when I found your machine on pinterest and, ufff, is just perfect!!!! being myself also a fan of Street Fighter. I'm also trying to make one arcade machine for me with my favorite game of my youth: SF2, and, well, lots of old games to share with my kids.

I saw that the panel of the joystick is a little wider than the standard of OND, after a while using, do you think it's worth the wider of the panel?. The second question is about the size of the arcade machine: is comfortable to place a tray below the CP with a keyboard and mouse to play occasionally some shooting game (at my home I only have one computer ... my wife's mac... and I had choose a PC to the arcade that is similar to yours: i3 with GPU in orden to play SF4, so it would hurt me to have a PC and know that I can't play Call of duty from time to time).
Well, congratulations and thanks from Chile
Guido

I like the wider panel since it gives more room between people and more room to rest your arms (we sit at bar stools when playing). The only reason I made the control panel as deep as it is, was to accommodate my graphics (the grid of SF characters). You could easily shorten the depth 2 inches if that is a concern. My control panel isn't very tall but you could still fit a keyboard/mouse onto a pull-out tray. It would be tight with my measurements but you could always make yours a little taller. The height was dictated by the angle of the CP and the back/tallest point lining up with the bezel/angle cut.

Nephasth

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:09 pm »
Awesome first build. It's one to be proud of. :applaud:

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 01:08:20 am »
Love this!

enterprise2176

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 06:40:45 am
  • "To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before"
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 12:51:50 am »
Hi edge929

This is my first post after reading through OND's Metropolis build thread. I saw so many awesome cabinets being built based on OND's design and then at the end I came across your amazing Street Fighter Cab. I'm a huge street fighter fan, but mainly from the old school original Street Fighter II. Your build has inspired me even more to start my own build project based on OND's design, but I must say your CP and it's artwork is amazing. Would you be able to share the dimensions for the CP and it's button/joystick layout. Any other assistance would be a real help as I'm not very artistic and my biggest concern is the paint work and art work. Thx

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 02:05:36 pm »
Let me double check my CP measurements and the layouts I used and I will post back. I'll respond to your PM shortly as well.

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 03:19:31 pm »
Sorry for the delay. My CP measurements are 14" x 29 1/2". This gives two inches of overhang on each side of the OND cab.

The button layout I used was "Hori" standard spacing 300 ppi Link

enterprise2176

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 06:40:45 am
  • "To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before"
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »
Sorry for the delay. My CP measurements are 14" x 29 1/2". This gives two inches of overhang on each side of the OND cab.

The button layout I used was "Hori" standard spacing 300 ppi Link

Thanks so much for the CP information. It's really going to help me with my build.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 11:37:08 pm »
Thats a sweet cab! love the theme/graphics!

drewjbx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2023, 11:49:00 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 12:09:55 am »
Nicely done... Side note - was wanting to see a jumping fierce-fierce into ultra combo finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:19 pm »
Did you have any issues with the t-moulding round the sides next to the monitor? I know you mentioned some of the right angles were tough, but they're more like 120 degree. Thanks!

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 06:45:00 pm »
While I don't have anything beyond the OND design (and one restore) to compare it to, I don't think I've had any issue at all getting the t-mold on this design. I use a rubber mallet and will cut V's into the T when i'm going around a sharper corner (which I assume is the norm) but it's always been a breeze getting the t-molding on.

Angus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 11:09:36 am
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »
Looks awesome.. Very nice work...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 04:16:05 am »
While I don't have anything beyond the OND design (and one restore) to compare it to, I don't think I've had any issue at all getting the t-mold on this design. I use a rubber mallet and will cut V's into the T when i'm going around a sharper corner (which I assume is the norm) but it's always been a breeze getting the t-molding on.

Thanks mate - fills me with a bit more confidence!!

h1gg1n5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2016, 03:07:43 am
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 02:01:27 pm »
Amazing looking artwork! Im just getting into building my own cabinet so this forum is a great tool to help.

Are you in the artists for hire section for artwork? 

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »
Amazing looking artwork! Im just getting into building my own cabinet so this forum is a great tool to help.

I replied back to your PM and no, I'm not in the for-hire section.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:56:26 pm by edge929 »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 03:48:48 pm »

I replied back to your PM and no, I'm not in the for-hire section. I've had a handful of requests to use my artwork and I've decided to start selling it. PM me if you're interested.

EEEEKKKKK man, cardinal sin, i wouldnt mention selling your artwork, maybe offering up commissioned services as an artist.

Your gonna get lit up with folks saying how are you selling something that you didnt draw up from scratch, plus the fact you used Ond's design free of charge etc.

If your gonna sell it don't broadcast it here, someone will quickly and easily replicate your artwork and release the files for free to the forum in the spirit of giving back....just a heads up....

If you used the community to build your beauty, maybe give back by just releasing your art files if they are so popular and then reference your talents in the art section for commissioned jobs.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:50:57 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 03:52:29 pm »
dup....

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:40 pm »

I replied back to your PM and no, I'm not in the for-hire section. I've had a handful of requests to use my artwork and I've decided to start selling it. PM me if you're interested.

EEEEKKKKK man, cardinal sin, i wouldnt mention selling your artwork, maybe offering up commissioned services as an artist.

Your gonna get lit up with folks saying how are you selling something that you didnt draw up from scratch, plus the fact you used Ond's design free of charge etc.

If your gonna sell it don't broadcast it here, someone will quickly and easily replicate your artwork and release the files for free to the forum in the spirit of giving back....just a heads up....

If you used the community to build your beauty, maybe give back by just releasing your art files if they are so popular and then reference your talents in the art section for commissioned jobs.

Yeah I understand. It's all interpretation of fair-use and what changes I made (and I made a lot, they are just small and intentionally unnoticeable). Converting to vector isn't always clean. Anyway, if anyone is interested in the art, PM me.

Frank Drebin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2022, 04:27:19 pm
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »

I don't get it, if I went to the for hire section and hired someone to make similar artwork for me it would be ok, no?  But because he used it on his own build he can't charge?  Especially considering what artwork costs we should be encouraging low cost alternatives.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:02 am »
First i have no idea what hes charging.....

Second i just recall another member getting blasted for trying to sell artwork non original artwork....someone ended up replicating it and just releasing it to the community.

So its different when your selling a service or a aka artist for hire vs... hey i used all the free ideas and designs here now hey buy my artwork that i made.

Im not saying hes right or wrong ive just seen the same situation end up bad, but you watch the trend, every new design and bad ass artwork will start coming with a pricetag, so if you want to start paying for plans measurements and designs from fellow members then okie dokie....

Hell chancek and ond would be rich had they took commission off of all their hard work....

Regardless it was just a suggestion he can do what he likes....i think the art is awesome, i just think there are craftier ways of getting commissions off of your work, thats all...take away the trendsetters mentioned in his post do you think this art would even exist had those guys put a price tag on the designs?

Just my opinion though Frank, he can sell it all he wants to, there was no less time put in those designs and documentation that was put into that art, it was all hard work for everyone, but if you took to inspire yourself at no cost, why charge other folks for your inspiration.  It kinda kills the sharing/giving back aspect of the forums.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:27:44 am by rablack97 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2016, 04:49:01 am »
First i have no idea what hes charging.....

Second i just recall another member getting blasted for trying to sell artwork non original artwork....someone ended up replicating it and just releasing it to the community.

So its different when your selling a service or a aka artist for hire vs... hey i used all the free ideas and designs here now hey buy my artwork that i made.

Im not saying hes right or wrong ive just seen the same situation end up bad, but you watch the trend, every new design and bad ass artwork will start coming with a pricetag, so if you want to start paying for plans measurements and designs from fellow members then okie dokie....

Hell chancek and ond would be rich had they took commission off of all their hard work....

Regardless it was just a suggestion he can do what he likes....i think the art is awesome, i just think there are craftier ways of getting commissions off of your work, thats all...take away the trendsetters mentioned in his post do you think this art would even exist had those guys put a price tag on the designs?

Just my opinion though Frank, he can sell it all he wants to, there was no less time put in those designs and documentation that was put into that art, it was all hard work for everyone, but if you took to inspire yourself at no cost, why charge other folks for your inspiration.  It kinda kills the sharing/giving back aspect of the forums.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm with you mate... I was one of the people who messaged him for the designs and so may be biased, but all I wanted them for was a base to form my own design around and tweak to make an homage rather than use as is. As it stands I'll be making my own of some description - not even sure it'll be a SF one.

But I think your key point stands - if it wasn't for OND then many people wouldnt be here and this design wouldnt even exist. And it is a design, not artwork - other people did the art, this is an arrangement of that art.

It's totally up to him if he wants to charge. I doubt many people will pay. I'll release what I eventually end up doing for free on here to thank OND for the designs - it may be rubbish - i don't know yet, but I'd like to give back to this community for all the help it's given me. I've already added my metric conversion of the OND designs for exactly that reason.

I see this as no different to a situation I was in recently - I designed a Star Wars table plan for my wedding with planets etc arranged for each of the tables. It went on Flickr and somebody messaged me asking if they could have it. I'd been inspired by something else I'd seen on Flickr so I shared it - why wouldn't I. Yes, it took me ages, but I got what I wanted out of it, and someone else gets joy from my hard work... what goes around comes around

That's just my opinion, and as I say, you can class it as biased if you like because I messaged for the designs, but at the end of the day, it hasn't stopped me starting my build and I'll come up with my own designs in the end...

Now, if I wanted custom artwork - i think that's an entirely different ballgame.

Mangs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2016, 08:28:21 pm
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39:40 pm »
Does anyone know which brand of buttons were used in this project?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 09:23:12 pm »
Based on the pics in OP's Flickr album, he probably used concave red/yellow/white/orange Happ (or IL) Horizontal Pushbuttons like the ones here at GGG along with P1/P2 Start buttons like the ones here.

The orange buttons rule out GGG's Arcade Prime buttons as an option.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:34:45 pm by PL1 »

rizzi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2016, 10:38:42 am

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 10:29:21 am »
Welcome aboard, Rizzi.   ;D

Why the file is not downloadable anymore?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=118612.0;attach=186583
I can tell that the file was originally uploaded in Ond's Metropolis thread (topic=118612), but that attachment number isn't in Ond's uploaded files list.   :dunno

What is the name/content of the file?

Do you remember which post it was attached to?

If it was the old metric plans, I believe he pulled them since there were errors.

Several others have posted links in that thread to metric Metropolis plans that are fairly close, but not 100% accurate.

Scott

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:51 pm »

As PL1 noted they are indeed Happ concave buttons.

esaydam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2018, 10:04:19 pm
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »
Edge, I’ve had your thread and album open on my laptop for weeks now as I’ve copied many of your design points during my build. How has the sturdiness of your CP held up with those hinges?  I was worried there might be too much wiggle while playing and have been thinking of ways to latch the CP top down by the bezel end of the CP.

esaydam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2018, 10:04:19 pm
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »
And now that you’ve had the cabinet for awhile, anything you wish you did differently (besides the paint and primer in one)?

edge929

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 06:01:59 pm »
Sorry esaydam, I don't stop by these forums as much as I used too. To answer your questions, the CP has held up really well. We open it on average once per session (to get a controller or wireless keyboard). The hinges are self-close so they pull harder the more closed it is (if that makes sense). I've had a couple friends over for some intense SF4 action and the entire cabinet will shake at times. If anything, I might put another screw in to hold the entire CP to the cab.

Things I'd do differently? I'd find different casters. The rubber ones I used are squishing down after 200+ lbs on them 24/7. I'd just go with plastic or a harder poly-urethane material. One day I'll do some upgrades to it and this will be one of them. The glass bezel gets dust behind it and the only way to clean it is to pull the cab out and remove the monitor. I'd brainstorm a little more to find a better solution for this. Lastly, I'd probably go with an eggshell paint, maybe even semi-gloss instead of flat black since it's difficult to keep clean. Overall I have no big regrets.