Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Quarter Horse - Electro-Sport 1981 - MyArcadeLife  (Read 2753 times)

Dread In The Shed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 09:36:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Quarter Horse - Electro-Sport 1981 - MyArcadeLife
« on: March 19, 2021, 12:40:25 pm »
If you like reading here is the info on what im planning on building

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-first-coin-op-laserdisc-game-and.html

Now let me set the stage...

Its over 20yrs ago, I'm in a small illegal gambling room hidden inside a false wall of an asian pool hall in my neighbourhood..

John the butcher is playing the cherry machine, Still wearing his dirty apron, the room has a vile smell of blood and cigarettes.

The owner opens the door and wheels in a new machine, Quarter Horse, the first laser disc game in the world!

True Story...My name is Mike but most just call me Dread. I have been building arcade machines for almost 10 yrs. My first build was a Metroid themed bartop that still gets played daily.

A lot if not all of my building skills is a giant stewing pot of all the information amassed on this site, for that I thank everyone.

With life now a bit slower I have decided to jump on line to start documenting my builds.

So back to Quarter Horse, first it was a quite hard to get my hands on a copy. As its a laser disc game I wasn't having any luck.

I finally found a version in 2019 that is being run in South America today in some of the gambling houses and spots.

I paid a pretty penny for the copy, I haven't tested it yet, more to come on that later.

This version has taken the original laser disc videos and turned them into AVI and runs on a modified Window's XP OS.

My plan for the build is simple, I have a bunch of small monitors I have been buying over the years (I'm a monitor hoarder) I'm going to do single screen but instead of styling it like a cabinet I want to build it like a Japanese Pachislo machine with a top "Marquee" and a bottom "Display"  with game/selection buttons across the center below the monitor.

I will be updating this often so follow me on my build... let the races begin!

The Dread In The Shed

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:12:39 am
Re: Quarter Horse - Electro-Sport 1981 - MyArcadeLife
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 12:57:57 pm »
So you are building a version of Quarter Horse that will play laserdisc games or is this a general MAME build based on the Quarter Horse cabinet?

That middle design on the flyer with the two monitors is interesting... probably not too practical but interesting nonetheless.

Dread In The Shed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 10:19:41 pm »
Its not running a laser disc or mame

Its uses a Hard Disc system running on a windows xp machine, using the laser disc videos converted to avi

Yeah its pretty crazy cab, I have never played it on a 2 monitor set up, only the single units.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:22:34 pm by Dread In The Shed »

Dread In The Shed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:11:56 pm »
Got my hands on this beauty, its a relic from the past.

I figured why try to run a Virtual Set up of XP when I can just run it on the original platform.

Im wrestling with the idea of using some of the original promotion graphics or if I should just design something new.

Leaning towards a new design.