Main > Reviews

Dominux 8 from Groovy Game Gear

<< < (4/5) > >>

mgb:
The Pac pro doesn't have a diamond restrictor??
How does it not hit the diagonals then.

Mighty690:

--- Quote from: behrmr on July 24, 2015, 12:53:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: Mighty690 on July 24, 2015, 12:23:58 pm ---Installed mine yesterday.  Multi-WMS with a metal control panel, no restrictor.  They're as smooth and solid as everyone's said.  It's hard to imagine a better joystick for games like Robotron and Bubbles.  You almost feel like you're at the controls of some high-end medical equipment instead of a game cabinet.

I guess I'm sorta glad you ran out of the silver versa-ball shafts, Randy, or I might never have tried these.  I'll still take two if you ever get more in though.

The only problem now is when I go back to my Pac-Pro cabinet and hear/feel that spring "chunking" away.  The Dominux8 has given me a bad attitude towards annoying springs.  I think we need a GGG Pac-Dominux4.

--- End quote ---

Lighten up the spring on the Pac Pro to get a softer touch and quiet it down.  Heat it with a soldering torch and lightly compress it and let it cool.

--- End quote ---

Interesting idea.  Which also makes me wonder, are there any replacement springs that are lighter out of the box?

Mighty690:

--- Quote from: mgb on July 24, 2015, 06:55:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: Mighty690 on July 24, 2015, 12:23:58 pm ---Installed mine yesterday.  Multi-WMS with a metal control panel, no restrictor.  They're as smooth and solid as everyone's said.  It's hard to imagine a better joystick for games like Robotron and Bubbles.  You almost feel like you're at the controls of some high-end medical equipment instead of a game cabinet.

I guess I'm sorta glad you ran out of the silver versa-ball shafts, Randy, or I might never have tried these.  I'll still take two if you ever get more in though.

The only problem now is when I go back to my Pac-Pro cabinet and hear/feel that spring "chunking" away.  The Dominux8 has given me a bad attitude towards annoying springs.  I think we need a GGG Pac-Dominux4.

--- End quote ---

You can get the Dominux in 4 way too I thought.

--- End quote ---

I thought about that but the Dominux8 has too long of a throw and is seemingly too clumsy for 4-way games like Pac-Man, DK, etc.  The Pac-Pro's squat, precise design makes it a perfect all-arounder for such games.

RandyT:

--- Quote from: Mighty690 on July 26, 2015, 12:37:47 pm ---I thought about that but the Dominux8 has too long of a throw and is seemingly too clumsy for 4-way games like Pac-Man, DK, etc.  The Pac-Pro's squat, precise design makes it a perfect all-arounder for such games.

--- End quote ---

Any 4-way should really have a very short shaft, which increases the switch actuation speed.  When using a pure diamond restriction, the deadzone usually gets larger if trying to prevent simultaneous switch activation.  Shorter shafts will compensate for this.

The Dominux8 with 4-way restriction is very good in the short shaft configuration, due to the way our standard 4-way restrictor is designed.  It's very close to the feel of a pure diamond shape, but has just enough variation to prevent simultaneous switch activation, while maintaining the same smaller dead-zone size as an 8-way.

WildBillArcade:
Looking forward to getting these for multi Williams!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version