Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: needing help with bartop arcade measurements  (Read 7970 times)

jewthiopian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2015, 02:28:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
needing help with bartop arcade measurements
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:40:13 am »
I'm new to building things, and I'm a huge gamer. I looked into building a bartop arcade system for my first project. I really like the design of this cabinet and I find it hard to figure out the measurements For it. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re: needing help with bartop arcade measurements
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:03 am »

Pick your monitor.  Build around that.  You'll want room for whatever drives your game.  What are you going to use for the mainboard?  xbox, 60 in 1 or pi, or mini itx?

Check this out:
http://bartoparcade.katorlegaz.com/

Or, if that doesn't work I think if you contacted Haramuan, he could work you through planning this.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:16 am »
Im building a bartop that is close to that. at work but when i get home i can get the measurement for you. it pretty much 21 inch wide 22in tall and 15in deep
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

jewthiopian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:46 am »
@ Eric,

yeah, I was thinking about that. Going with the monitor and building around it. On other times I think about how easy it would be if I started the sides of the box as well.

@ yenome

Hell yeah, that sounds awesome.I'd greatly appreciate that. I'm thinking about doing 3/4 inch birch for my sides and bottom boards and using 1/2 inch for everything else.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »

@ yenome
  Hell yeah, that sounds awesome.I'd greatly appreciate that. I'm thinking about doing 3/4 inch birch for my sides and bottom boards and using 1/2 inch for everything else.

With my plans you should be able to fit a 20in 4:3 lcd as thats what i based mine around. im only using a micro atx.

jewthiopian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »
Is it better to run a 4:3 or a 16:9. I only ask this question because when I look for monitors. A lot of the monitors I'm looking for seem wide screen. Personally I don't know. Maybe I should tell you so you can get an idea. I'm trying to throw together a mame. I love old school games as well maybe throw some 3d fighters in there. That's ok if I can't do that. hopefully this can put you on the right track with me.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 12:43:21 pm »
In general,

4:3 is really the only option.

5:4 if its an older monitor. 

If you need it bigger, 16:10 is an option.

Unless money or a deadline get in your way, you should avoid 16:9.

jewthiopian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »
Ohhh ok great. I think I'm going to go with a 16:10 22 inch. I just saw one on Amazon. Now since I'm not super techy and I plan on building a bartop display. Would you or anyone go over with me the steps needed and products needed. For this. I read several articles and it all depends what you're willing to put in it. now im more set on having this machine play Atari, Nintendo, super Nintendo, and Sega. So anything else is a plus. I just don't know if I could fit a computer in this machine or if there's ways to buy certain parts. I am very eager and interested in this project.

I wanna thank those who commented me and helped me see another eye on my project, I will be starting. I appreciate it alot.... Any other advice I will definitely be taking notes lol

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:05:45 pm »
I read several articles

Read some more
http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=Bartop/Countertop

Check out those examples.

Then check out these examples, keeping in mind that not all of them are bartops.

2011 UCA Award Winners

2012 UCA Award Winners

2013 UCA Award Winners

2014 UCA Award Winners

In general I attempt to be consistent in my advice:
Get your software working on a PC before you cut wood.  Once you make it to a playable stage, it will be an exercise of will to not play it. 

Use http://slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html to find your best layout.  Make a fight stick or wire a test panel in a project box to test your controls:
...Friends don't let friends use Tupperware CPs. :lol
Better?  :D

I feel like the best scenario is to have everything working on the computer before you cut the wood. 

Get your games configured, know the appropriate viewing angle for your monitor.

I'm my own type of weird duck; I've tried steam games on an arcade, and it doesn't always work.  Super Hexagon & Electronic Super Joy works fine though.  I'm gonna try Rayman this weekend.

The elephant in your room is going to be consoles on an arcade cabinet.  Depending on your chosen console, the controls may not translate well, also unless it was made to be played standing up, is better in mame, or it wasn't a quarter pusher, et al ad nauseum.

I'm gonna leave it for now, though there is so much more to say.  But I'd rather answer a question than ramble on too long.

Good luck

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »
Here is a pic of my sketchup model bartop it is 20in wide x 20in tall x 15in deep. it is designed to fit a 20in monitor how ever if you need to do it for a wider one you would simply increase the the lenth of all 20" measurements except height. so measure the monitor you plan on using width and height wise. my monitor area is 20"w x 11"h but that would be using the monitors bezel. i plan on glueing my cabinet together this weekend and putting in the hardware so ill be updating my thread.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 05:46:35 pm »
@Yenome

Nice post.

What are the angles at the red circles?  The blue ones are 90 degrees?  I only had paint and couldn't manage a semicircle.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:19 am »
honest i hadnt checked as i didnt count on the angles just the size of the piece. So for the part right after the marque i just came down two inch then in two inchs and marked it then on the control panel i knew i wanted it 6inch deep so i measured 6 inchs back from the front and one inch up and connected a line between the two for the side line. i got the sketchup model if you want it. starting form the top red circle and going down its 45, 71.6 or 108 depending on how you read the angle, and control panel is 9.5. my method for making these plans is a lil weird as i jumped back and forth between mm and inch depending on which was easier to measure out. like for the control panel layout i use MM as its more accurate. altho this one doesnt have the layout on it as im changing it up now that i got the wood cut.