Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball re-theme... figuring out a "hardware hack"  (Read 3141 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Pinball re-theme... figuring out a "hardware hack"
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »
Ok, so after long last I've found a pinball to retheme, and I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do with the current programming on the machine (a functioning but uglier than usual Williams Flash).

One of my more ambitious ideas is to actually add a 2nd lower playfield to the machine, using the kick-out hole/saucer as the transition between the two. The attached image should explain what I am aiming for. Looking for help on how I would switch functionality from one saucer to another and back again, triggered by the ball (the scoring of the saucer(s) is not an issue). If there is a device or circuit that could do such a thing I think it would be easier (and cheaper) than buying a P-ROC, etc. and programming new rules. At this point all the current boards work fine and the ruleset is something I enjoy and can work with.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Pinball re-theme... figuring out a "hardware hack"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:58 am »
If the shot is easy... the lower field play may get a bit too much play... and disruptive.  Some additional drop targets may help.
May want to consider having the ball enter the field... and like haunted house.. invert the lower field.  Then you can auto pop the ball back somewhere near the top of the playfeild.  The inversion also adds to the difficulty.

Make sure the lower is fun on its own... before tearing stuff up.  Meaning, pre-test the proto assembly outside of the machine.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:18:49 pm »
I could see it happening if:

:all the lower targets and maybe any lights are wired in parallel with an upper target so you don't have to mess with program/rules.
:duplicate the bonus lighting system.  those 80's games are bonus heavy and you''ll want to know where you are. 
:look at a double flipper williams game to get ideas on how to wire. 
:set up one of the switches on the lower pf to release the upper ball when lit for an up/down multiball.  this maybe too tough to do - kill play when the upper pf ball drains. 
:+1 on X2's reversed pf idea al la haunted house.  or reverse the flippers/buttons on the bottom.  make the flippers weak or short because that lower pf is going to be small - Like ACDC small.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »
yeah, I'll be re-purposing all sorts of lights and wires and duplicating targets. Overall a pretty simple game so I have lots of flexibility. It is funny you mention AC/DC- that is not far off from what I am aiming for, probably a simple loop with a drop target bank stolen from the top playfield. My roadblock is the kicker transition between the playfields. I'm keeping the theme to myself for now, but it would explain why I want to go this particular route. If I can't make it work I might hold on to it until/if I ever develop the skills to build one from scratch. The saucer shot is actually pretty tough but i would have to do a lot of playtesting before i cut anything... at this point I need to figure out if the switching mechanics would work at all between the kickout saucers.

If nothing else I can pick/create a new theme and just change the art and sounds. Really excited about the project either way.

Thank you both for the feedback. I welcome more!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter