Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maquinita To Go - 4 Player Arcade in a Suitcase  (Read 31091 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: Maquinita To Go - 4 Player Arcade in a Suitcase
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2015, 07:37:21 pm »
I would assume that's because the joysticks are not angled.

That does not stop the debate. It happened in my 4 player pedestal, that was never going to have angled joy sticks.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2015, 07:34:27 am »
That does not stop the debate. It happened in my 4 player pedestal, that was never going to have angled joy sticks.
My point exactly... It usually happens as soon as there is a 4p build... and/or if the CP is wider than the monitor or having the players stand in any kind of angle relative to the monitor.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2015, 09:10:38 am »
???

Hey there guys. I find myself wondering if you could provide me with some help.

I'm trying to get MAME to run with scanlines at 1600x1200 res on the dell 2011FP. But all the scanlines options appear too small. I tried one called triad3sl.png too and that actually looked bigger and more like the correct size but it makes the image less brighter and the colors less saturated

Scanlines75Dx4.png and equivalents appear too small too.

4:3 Monitors at 1600x1200 users: What Scanlines Effect do you use? (No scanlines generators since I'm using HDMI to connect to the monitor, nor HLSL since the MB would not be able to handle it)

Thanks!

Have you thought about using some kind of hardware like a scan-line generator?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2015, 10:43:51 am »
My point exactly... It usually happens as soon as there is a 4p build... and/or if the CP is wider than the monitor or having the players stand in any kind of angle relative to the monitor.
I don't think it's going to happen much anymore...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yamatetsu

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:32:42 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2015, 12:32:38 pm »

No scanlines generators since I'm using HDMI to connect to the monitor

No scanline generator because he's using HDMI, also Crafty's miniSLG would not work at 1600x1200.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »

No scanlines generators since I'm using HDMI to connect to the monitor

No scanline generator because he's using HDMI, also Crafty's miniSLG would not work at 1600x1200.

Oops, I missed that

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:23:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2015, 01:33:30 am »
Happy Holidays to you all!

Updates:

Got the amazing Trojan WT-2438 Portable Worktable at 35.5" height with a 24-Inch by 38-Inch MDO surface. It´s perfect for the case and probably the only one I could find that fits the necessities of the project: portability, height and stability.  ;)

Along with it I got from eBay Australia of all places (trying to find sellers online willing to ship to Mexico for all right delivery prices can be truly daunting) a Big Horn 19116 24-Inch By 48-Inch Non-Slip Router Pad. It´s very nice too and the case has not moved at all even with 4 players playing with it.

I´ll be updating the CPU, MB and RAM soon since I found out that certain games like Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat II and III, Moonwalker, etc... won´t play without stuttering. :-\

The challenge as usual is size and heat management. But I´ll show you how it goes. Cheers.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:57:13 am by holaplaneta »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2015, 05:31:58 am »
It looks done to me. If your like me you'll probably keep coming back to make improvements. You should go ahead and post it in the I completed my progect page. I would love to add it to the wiki when it's done.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:34:53 am by Locke141 »

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:59 pm »
So I updated the machine in the case with the following hardware:

SolidGear TFX 350W Power Supply
Crucial 8GB RAM
AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
OCZ Technology 64GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD)

Now ALL games run excellent, my only complaint is that is a lot noisier than the previous setup. (Not only "fan-wise" but there is some nasty ground interference that you can notice when no sounds are being played). Anyway, it´s really nice to see hyperspin shine, and being able to share all those childhood gaming dreams "anywhere" really makes it special. Thanks for the support and guidance. This is an excellent forum.

And I took some pics of the finished case. Hope you enjoy them!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:56:52 am by holaplaneta »

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2016, 08:51:23 pm »
Pics don´t make it justice. This thing in person really INVITES you to play with it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:53:22 pm by holaplaneta »

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2016, 08:52:27 pm »
 :cheers:

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »
Happy New Year from the Yucatan!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »
Came out really nice !! -- Glad you are liking the 2001FP (the color and viewing angles on them really makes it work well for this type of build )  :cheers:

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2016, 04:02:54 am »
Glad you are liking the 2001FP (the color and viewing angles on them really makes it work well for this type of build )  :cheers:

It was an excellent suggestion!! It is the perfect display for this application. Muchas gracias.  :cheers:

solar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2018, 05:59:28 pm
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2016, 09:34:41 am »
Awesome...

Not sure if you've sorted the scanline issue, but you can always draw up your own. Only need basic paint to edit one of the pre-existing .png's

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2016, 06:12:20 pm »
Not sure if you've sorted the scanline issue, but you can always draw up your own. Only need basic paint to edit one of the pre-existing .png's

I got one that kinda matches the resolution and pixel aspect, it is not perfect, but it´s better than nothing. Could not find any made specifically for 1600 x 1200.

Thanks for the tips guys.

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Photos taken with an iPhone! Check out that monitor!! It´s beautiful even when competing with daylight.  :applaud:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:38:08 pm by holaplaneta »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:54:19 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:53 am »
Very cool.  :cheers:

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:03 am »
This project makes me angry.   :angry:

Because it's too awesome... and I could never build it to that degree of quality.  Awesome job.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2016, 11:55:13 am »

Because it's too awesome... and I could never build it to that degree of quality.  Awesome job.  :cheers:
Sure you could.  Just try.  Projects like this should inspire people to try and reach new heights.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:25 am »
Great work!  I can't believe 4 people can fit!  Very slick, good attention to detail.  :applaud:

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2016, 07:43:35 pm »

Sure you could.  Just try.  Projects like this should inspire people to try and reach new heights.

Of course you can!! Man, this is my first build and I never imagined how hard and awesome it would be.

It took most of my scarce spare time for 4 years and all my savings because I had to import most parts from all around the world and pay for extra shipping and custom taxes. I live in the state with the lowest wages for my nation, I earn like $250 a month most of the time and the project cost south of $2500 just for the materials, not counting all the tools I had to get plus the 400+ man hours I calculated were spent on it. Sometimes I had like 10 usd on my bank account for the week, because I would invest all my money in parts and pieces that I was not sure would do the job anyway. I designed most of the Maquinita To Go in my head and on my laptop screen, going crazy with measurements and weights in a "virtual" space on paper and photoshop. Never knowing if things would completely fit, match or work together. I spent countless hours looking at specs sheets for the parts I could imagine would work together to conform this project. Projecting in my head if the parts would work well together. And because I had no access to the parts I needed on stores around my city and no access to the fabulous product return policies most developed countries have, where I could buy something, try it and if it did not work, I could return it for my money back; I would find myself sometimes scratching an idea after months of waiting for the part to arrive from the other side of the globe, all because it would not work for my needs at the end. As you can see now, pretty much just the wood, glue and bolts I got from where I live.

When friends or family would travel to the US, I would beg them to bring me parts I would order online and they will get in their hotels. I brought the case myself from a trip to LA, and got stopped by mexican customs, who are super paranoid and tough. Thankfully nothing happened.

I would day dream about having it finished, and I would come to this amazing forum to check out other projects to get inspired by them. I would come to ask things, see how other people did it. I would google things like crazy too. I learned so much from this process, about electricity, woodworking, programming, physics, mechanics, power tools, design, reproduction stickers, sound, display panels, metal works, cabling, modding, soldering, painting, gluing, etc... before I made this project I only knew how to use a hammer and a driller.

But I persevered because I was afraid all my effort and money would go to waste if I did not finish the project. Even if the result was bad, at least I did not leave it unfinished. Sometimes I would lose sleep overthinking that maybe I f**ed up and spent a lot of money just for a childish whim that would not work. That made me get out of my comfort zone to ask help everywhere. Learning from everything I could, to get any help to support my vision for the project.

I admit I feel lucky and relieved that it all worked well at the end, because for the longest time I wondered if this thing would not end up being a big waste of money and put me in shame. That´s the price of doing something that nobody has ever done before, you walk the path of uncertainty, feeling that you can spectacularly fail at any time but alas, that´s the only way to create something truly new.

To be able to share the result here and to receive such positive support is amazing, and I really hope my humble project ends up inspiring more people to appreciate and share the love of arcade machines and good games... everywhere!  ;)

I wish you success in your endeavors.  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:48:12 am by holaplaneta »

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2016, 01:01:21 pm »
Awesome...

Made one that with integer scaling should work well for 4:3 displays with a resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels in MAME.

Scanlines75Dx5.png

It matches most of the games well, depending on the aspect ratio of each one.

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2016, 03:11:05 pm »
Got rid of the buzzing noise of the sound with this. Too bad the output and input cables are reversed for my needs (male must be female and viceversa) but I fixed it with a coupler and a spare male to male 3.5mm cable.

With this device I think the stereo channels came out switched too, so I just adjusted them and Voilà!  :laugh:.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:06:46 pm by holaplaneta »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

Got rid of the buzzing noise of the sound with this. Too bad the output and input cables are reversed for my needs (male must be female and viceversa) but I fixed it with a coupler and a spare male to male 3.5mm cable.

With this device I think the stereo channels came out switched too, so I just adjusted them and Voila!  :laugh:.

Props to you for getting Voila! correct! :cheers:

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »

With this device I think the stereo channels came out switched too, so I just adjusted them and Voila!  :laugh:.

Actually, the real way to write it (like written in french) is Voilà. But I digress!  ;D

Superb, superb build you got there! 8)
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »

Actually, the real way to write it (like written in french) is Voilà. But I digress!  ;D

Superb, superb build you got there! 8)
Yeah, but "walla" makes me want to punch kittens when people use it....

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2016, 09:16:08 pm »

Yes?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2016, 09:16:42 pm »
I don't get it.

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:23 pm »
A valid reaction. Defensible in court, too. 8)
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • The cheap@ss gamer

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »
After a year and a half I could edit this video. Again, thank you folks for all the help.

I hope you´ll enjoy it. Watch it at 1080p!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:08:10 am by holaplaneta »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:55 pm »
Vergas!

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
Super cool! Have you thought about building the monitor into the case more, like with a flush panel maybe?

This is bad-ass. Great work!!! But I hope I'm never behind you in airport security!
"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2017, 07:42:53 pm »
Not really since that would add extra weight to the top panel and I was afraid it would tip backwards with the furious gaming from my friends.

And supposedly the case is TSA friendly!

https://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=12&pid=9
Airline approved (ATA 300 Rating).
Molded-in bumper protected TSA latches.

(But yeah, if one day I decide to travel with it I´ll let you know)  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:45:58 pm by holaplaneta »