Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dainamikade-Fully dynamic artwork Bartop (prototype stage)  (Read 19852 times)

johnrt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dainamikade-Fully dynamic artwork Bartop (prototype stage)
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »
Why not do it simple? Like this:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »
Why not do it simple? Like this:

This wouldn't help with the other angles on the cabinet, mainly the top/back panel which is at an angle too.

johnrt

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »
This wouldn't help with the other angles on the cabinet, mainly the top/back panel which is at an angle too.
Well, yes. I'm doing the exact same thing on my PP Bartop:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 07:06:13 pm »
Well, yes. I'm doing the exact same thing on my PP Bartop:

We can see the "edge" of the plywood of the top panel. It's okay if you're going to laminate or paint your cabinet but it would look terrible for laminated chipboard, especially if we go with black laminate for the final version. We don't intend on painting or adding any extra laminate on our cabinets. We want our cabinets to be cut-and-assemble, like IKEA furniture.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:28:34 am by Yvan256 »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 06:24:51 am »
Why not do it simple?

I think our goal of "Lets build a bartop" has changed to, "Lets build a bartop, the best we can, and teach ourselves and create tools that will translate to other projects (like the dowel drilling and chamfer jigs)". That's not to say anyone else's way isn't the best, this just happens to be the best way for us. If I am being honest, the most fun I have had on this project is creating the jigs. Please keep the ideas coming though.  :cheers:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:46 am »
I do have to say, nice work, this is doing to be pretty awesome.  Also, those full length chamfers would be pretty straight forward and easy on a table saw.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:11 am »
I do have to say, nice work, this is doing to be pretty awesome.

Thank you, we think it's a great idea but we're in sort of a new uncharted territory since arcade cabinets with dynamic side art seems pretty rare. We hope we're successful and our progress so far has been positive.

This is a two-man project that also includes the help of two other people (so far):
  • bulbousbeard, for the front-end software
  • markc74, for the artwork (which I still haven't had the time to check!)

Also, those full length chamfers would be pretty straight forward and easy on a table saw.

Straight forward and easy, yes. Easier than our jig that's for sure. But the problem is getting precise angles and precise lengths.

We feel that any step that involves manually setting lengths or angles is too prone to error to make precise cuts. Everything in our cabinet is designed in Sketchup and precise to 0.001" (totally useless for woodworking, but anyway) and every part is cut on high quality CNC with a metal frame and ball screw drives. So while our jig may seem complicated at first, it becomes easier after the idea and the guide are done because the angles are set by the chamfering bits (no possibility of error or variation) and the lengths are set by the CAD design and the CNC cuts (no possibility of error or variation either).

The only manual setting so far will be the height of the chamfering bits but that can be fine-tuned with scraps until the height is perfect before cutting the actual parts. I did suggest to Typefighter01 to buy five router tables: one for each chamfering bit and one for the flush trim bit. He was not amused.  :lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:06:44 pm by Yvan256 »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 11:19:39 pm »
Chamfer jig works perfect.

Here it is just after cutting.

Removed from tabs, flush trimmed and installed on panel.

This is the final result...perfect, chip free angles  :applaud:

I will do a more detailed step by step on next panel.

Good work Yvan, awesome idea...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 09:30:59 am »
Chamfer jig works perfect.

This is the final result...perfect, chip free angles  :applaud:

The best jig so far is that contraption of yours that moves the router around with the help of a computer.  ;D

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »
Two small updates.

First...jig for my jig.

Yvan coded up a quick height gauge so we could be sure the chamfer bit was set at the right height for routing 15 degree angles, then I modified it with a dial indicator and now it will work for all our angled bits.

Second...lots of Ultimarc goodies.

2 x PacLED 64's
14 x Classic RGB buttons
16 x GoldLeafs (various colours)

We are making two cabs, so one PacLED each and seven RGB buttons each. The 16 GoldLeafs are for Yvan and are for a different project, but Yvan and I will be doing full reviews of both button types and the PacLED once cab is completed. Fastest shipping ever, two and a half days from London to my hickville postoffice. I was hoping to order a Servo Stick at the same time, but budget didn't allow...next order :cheers:. Thanks Andy  ;)

Also, we have decided on a sliding rear door, ala Visual Pincab. Hopefully Yvan can pop in and give us a Sketchup so you guys can see what I mean.

We have a couple tests to complete this weekend and then HOPEFULLY...full test cab sides.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 04:02:49 pm »
Looking forward to all updates..

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:21 am »
Lots of Ultimarc goodies.

2 x PacLED 64's
14 x Classic RGB buttons
16 x GoldLeafs (various colours)

We are making two cabs, so one PacLED each and seven RGB buttons each. Yvan and I will be doing full reviews once the cabinets are completed.

I can't wait to test those parts, I've searched about lighted buttons and in my humble opinion the ClassicRGB from Ultimarc is the best one. The buttons are made using a semi-opaque white plastic instead of clear so it makes them look like coloured buttons instead of simply being lighted buttons. And when they're off, they're a nice milky white.

The 16 GoldLeafs are for Yvan and are for a different project

And sorry to be mysterious about that project, but only two other people know about it so far and the CAD is nowhere near complete. Let's just say that the Ultimarc Goldleaf were the only concave buttons available in such a short length. The other options were to use either Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons but I'm old-school and I need my concave buttons if I can have them. The leaf switches are a bonus. ;D

Also, we have decided on a sliding rear door, ala Visual Pincab. Hopefully Yvan can pop in and give us a Sketchup so you guys can see what I mean.

A static image would be boring, so here's a small animated GIF instead (click to view the animated version). The two overlapping boxes on the drawer are placeholders for mini-ITX and micro-ATX motherboards. At only 20cm long, those are the shortest ball-bearing drawer slides I've ever seen. They're also the longest slides that would fit inside our cabinets. If you're wondering why we went with drawer slides, it's because we didn't want to break the clean lines in the back of the cabinet with hinges. Surely there's specialized cabinet hinges that would have worked but we thought that drawer slides would be a nicely different approach to the problem usually only seen on virtual pinball machines. With 20cm of travel and all the hardware inside the cabinets, let's just say that wiring is going to be... fun.

Unless I'm mistaken and the motherboards don't go on the drawer at all.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:31:58 pm by Yvan256 »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 01:27:16 pm »
Ignore some of the chipping as we are using the same 1/4" upcut bit we have used for over a year now, but finally managed to get the drawer cut. We will use this old upcut bit until the testing is all done and then switch over the the new compression bit.

Next I will need to check mobo placement and see how they work with the plastic standoffs we sourced. Hopefully it doesn't take 4 months for the next update.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2020, 06:57:58 am
  • cute by day, devil by night
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 02:35:34 pm »
I was interested in this project . But looks like 4 month has become over 2.5 years. Would have been interesting to see final result.