Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtua Racing cab conversion  (Read 6410 times)

TipsyMcStagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 04:18:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Virtua Racing cab conversion
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:08:10 am »
Hi All,

Finally starting to convert my Virtua Racing twin cab to run emulators after giving up trying to get the original boards working.

Have all my hardware ready (I think) including some L2M2 boards, Logitech Driving Force wheels and a couple of identical PCs with the Sega Model 2 emulator and Mala installed. I'll also be removing the original CRTs and putting in a couple of 27" IPS monitors (Mainly so I can play PC games as well). Luckily I've got a couple of other arcade cabs that I can use the CRT monitors in.

Still have to configure the PCs properly to get the Model 2 emulator to launch the rom rather than just the emulator as well as configure the H2seq software to use the flipper paddles to change gears.

I'm sure it's pretty straight forward to get the configuration done. It's just finding time to get everything done. Initially i will just do one side of the cab to make sure the L2M2 interface works ok and all of my key mapping is fine. I'm then going to add more games and emulators to the other PC, take an image and push it out to the one already in the cab.

Here are a couple of pics of the cab I'll be converting and the L2M2 boards (I was lucky enough to get some professional help with these so pretty happy with how they turned out)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:58:28 am by TipsyMcStagger »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Virtua Racing cab conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:42 pm »
You can launch straight into a game on Model 2 Emulator using the following command line argument in a .bat file (I'm using Daytona USA as an example here and the multicpu version of the emulator)

Code: [Select]
start /D"the path to your folder with Model 2 Emulator in goes here, with the quotation marks" "Model 2 Emulator" emulator_multicpu.exe daytona
So, for example, the one that I use to launch directly into a game when I'm using a LAN setup is:

start /D"C:\Users\Alex C 2\Games\Model 2 Emulator v1 LAN" "Model 2 Emulator" emulator_multicpu.exe daytona
You just need to write the name of the game as it appears zipped in your roms folder to load it.

Good luck with the rest of your project, looks like it'll be a good one.  :cheers:

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:04 pm »
You can launch straight into a game on Model 2 Emulator using the following command line argument in a .bat file (I'm using Daytona USA as an example here and the multicpu version of the emulator)

start /D"the path to your folder with Model 2 Emulator in goes here, with the quotation marks" "Model 2 Emulator" emulator_multicpu.exe daytona
So, for example, the one that I use to launch directly into a game when I'm using a LAN setup is:

start /D"C:\Users\Alex C 2\Games\Model 2 Emulator v1 LAN" "Model 2 Emulator" emulator_multicpu.exe daytona
You just need to write the name of the game as it appears zipped in your roms folder to load it.

Good luck with the rest of your project, looks like it'll be a good one.  :cheers:

Thanks mate. Appreciate the help. One less thing I have to work out  :applaud: Once I get the first side up and running I'll post a video. Cheers

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:07:12 am »
So I've finally gotten a bit more time to spend on this (have a newborn so free time is almost non-existent). I've removed one CP to work out the wiring and do a bit of cleaning. The connectors for the VR buttons and start  button are no problem but I'm unsure how to interface the paddle shifters with the logitech board.

I've had a look at the thread about the EX button hack http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141482.msg1464273.html#msg1464273 and the associated doc https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B637CSO6oe1fUVcyV09mSmdZSlU/edit?pli=1 and while the Happ Shifter and the Virtua Racing paddles have some similarities (One switch up, one switch down and self-centre) i'm not sure if this method applies and to be honest I'm not translating the diagram in my head with what i would need to do with the VR paddles :dizzy: (I'm blaming sleep deprivation ;D)

Any pointers would be appreciated

ryandoesntstress

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2018, 05:16:26 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:21:40 pm »
I'm doing the exact same thing as you except for the screens (for now at least), but we got the 3rd and 4th player. You might even have our machines mate!

As for the paddles you are right about the up and down, as in a micro switch for up and a micro switch for down. Just connect it to your L2M2 exactly like you did the VR buttons. Shouldnt really matter to what playstation controls since everything can be configured and mapped after.

How are you finding the force feedback? The board I put together seems to work but im not satisfied with the accuracy yet. Often its just hard left or hard right.

ryandoesntstress

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:34:51 pm »
I stressed a little over the audio in the beginning. Ended up getting a pair of these; http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6322720243.html?orderId=64422699621032 . They work mad, although there is a faint buzz when there is no signal which will be almost never when the machine is running.

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:57:46 am »
I'm doing the exact same thing as you except for the screens (for now at least), but we got the 3rd and 4th player. You might even have our machines mate!

As for the paddles you are right about the up and down, as in a micro switch for up and a micro switch for down. Just connect it to your L2M2 exactly like you did the VR buttons. Shouldnt really matter to what playstation controls since everything can be configured and mapped after.

How are you finding the force feedback? The board I put together seems to work but im not satisfied with the accuracy yet. Often its just hard left or hard right.

Thanks for that mate. I hadn't even considered not using the flipper paddle connection and just substituting unused buttons on the Logitech board.

You never know with these machines where they've been so could easily be a set. A bloke near me picked up a couple of machines from completely different locations years apart and ended up with sequential serial numbers.

I haven't even had a chance to do any installation yet so my L2M2 is completely untested. When i'm not at work i'm looking after my kids so the wife can get some sleep (She does the night shift with the latest child) so I've just been trying to get the PC configured (Just a basic install with M2 and Mala) and plan my wiring. I'm sure I've made a number of mistakes in the diagram but i'll hopefully get a chance this weekend to look at it with a clear head and get everything installed and tested.

I was thinking about getting some PC speakers to put in the seats but those amps look ok and a good price.

This is my wiring schematic so far

ryandoesntstress

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:41:42 am »
Wow, that's a nice diagram. Did the pro help you out with that or is that all you? I just had to use the multimeter and have someone press buttons until we figured out what was what. Your way looks good though. If you need some photos of anything I could probably put them up, just be warned that it might look kinda sloppy.

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 02:28:22 am »
Wow, that's a nice diagram. Did the pro help you out with that or is that all you? I just had to use the multimeter and have someone press buttons until we figured out what was what. Your way looks good though. If you need some photos of anything I could probably put them up, just be warned that it might look kinda sloppy.

Thanks mate. I did the diagram myself. While i'm not getting much time to work on the cab itself (it's pretty filthy and I've got to be able to get my daughter the moment she starts crying) i do get time at night to sit with the laptop so i figured i'd plan the wiring so when i do get to the cab it won't take as long. Most of it is pretty straight forward and i found TinyCAD which is free and pretty easy to use. I've also got a mate who will be using the same L2M2 boards with a VR twin as well so it should save him a bit of pain. If you could upload some pics of the connection between L2M2 board and the motor that would be great.

ryandoesntstress

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 05:34:41 am »
Not the best of photos, but hopefully you can see what you're looking for. The clutch was a little tricky. We couldn't even get it to activate without the cap in there. I've heard a small light bulb will also make it work.

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »
Not the best of photos, but hopefully you can see what you're looking for. The clutch was a little tricky. We couldn't even get it to activate without the cap in there. I've heard a small light bulb will also make it work.

Thanks for that mate and sorry for the delayed response. Haven't had a chance to scratch myself for the last month. Did some of the wiring in the cab last night so will definitely be testing this weekend. I'll post up some pics of the result.

Cheers,
Andy

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:24 am »
So i finally got my L2M2 board going and am very happy with the result. Feels great. Will still do a little bit of tweaking but not much required. Have taken a video so just need to compress it and i'll upload it. So now i have to sort out the buttons, flipper paddles and pedals. I have soldered the buttons and flipper paddles onto the Logitech boards but have to work out why i'm not getting any signal. The other option i was thinking about was using an A-pac as it detects pots so could do all of the other functions including pedals. Can anyone tell me if there would be any issues using the L2M2\Logitech setup along with an A-pac? I know there can be issues for how some games detect the controller interface so wasn't sure if windows games would detect them both.  Thanks

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:47 am »
As i said I'm very happy with the settings but will still be tweaking them a tiny bit more. Now i'll be trying to get the buttons either working with the logitech board (Ordered a breadboard today to test) or seeing if i can use this in conjunction with an a-pac. I've uploaded a video showing some Sega Rally action. At around 57 seconds i'm not holding the steering wheel at all so the back and forth is purely from the road contour and the L2M2 response

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 07:31:37 am »
Use an ipac, not an a-pac.
Most emulators and games support both a controller and keyboard simultaneously without any issues, but some have issues with multiple controllers.

I can't recall a single game on my old cab that didn't work great using both.  I had a logitech momo plopped in the dashboard and used a keyboard encoder for all the other buttons.

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:11:30 am »
Use an ipac, not an a-pac.
Most emulators and games support both a controller and keyboard simultaneously without any issues, but some have issues with multiple controllers.

I can't recall a single game on my old cab that didn't work great using both.  I had a logitech momo plopped in the dashboard and used a keyboard encoder for all the other buttons.

Thanks BadMouth.

You reminded me I've got one sitting in a box somewhere so one step closer to getting it up and running. Cheers

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 05:00:21 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:19:39 am »
You've gotten some great progress done on this.  I'm looking to do the same to a Battle Gear cabinet.  Where did you get your PCB's made?

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »
Thanks mate. The work itself hasn't taken too much time. It's just getting the chance to work on it that's difficult. I was lucky enough to have help from someone with contacts in China so he got them made for me. I actually have some spare complete kits if you want to grab one. Although i don't think they'd work with a Battle Gear cab.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk