Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 with Mame - anyone tried it yet?  (Read 40393 times)

Saneless

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2015, 12:29:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 with Mame - anyone tried it yet?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 07:34:32 pm »
For me, rotating the Pi itself caused my performance to tank. However, I noticed that it set the resolution really high when loading MAME. Once I locked it to 640x480 it really helped.

Still doesn't seem quite as smooth though. EmulationStation definitely has has visible tearing

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 08:49:56 am »
For me, rotating the Pi itself caused my performance to tank. However, I noticed that it set the resolution really high when loading MAME. Once I locked it to 640x480 it really helped.

Still doesn't seem quite as smooth though. EmulationStation definitely has has visible tearing

I found the same with my rpi1
I also found if I split the video memory instead of just giving the video 64mb that things worked smoother vertically.
My rpi1 only had 256mb.

Having mame & advmenu rotate on their own made a big difference.

With the rpi2 I can give my video a lot more ram so i'll give the vertical a try again.

Saneless

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2015, 12:29:26 pm
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:23 pm »
I did that as well, bumped it to 128.

Not really liking retropie so far. I'm sure it's good overall if you want to use other emulators but for MAME only there has to be better.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:35 pm »
Pyros supports vertical setups.
But its website is in Spanish I think.
I've been asking themdev for help over on the piplay forum.

Also, I just compiled advance menu plus on my rpi2.
It supports simple layouts and can be rotated along with advmame at startup which means you can boot horizontal.

edit: I think retropi is a great distro for the pi.
They utilize SDL compiled with dispmanx for scaling the emulators.
This means the gpu does some of the work.

I'm looking into changing the frontend to advmenu plus for my classic project & I believe the setup script will let you remove emulators so you can make a smaller image.
Their version of advancemame seems to work really well on the RPI2 also.

I can't get piplay beta 8 to work on my RPI2 so i can't test it yet.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:59:22 am by nitrogen_widget »

berzerking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2015, 07:07:14 am
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:05 am »
Hi i just google my project and it seam that you re talking of it :) The web site si en french :) But the Wiki is in english (english from a french)

Theire is a new version of Pyrharckade : http://pyrharckade.io/pyrharckade_2_1b.tar.bz2

Pyros will come next ...

See ya all

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:18 pm »
Hi i just google my project and it seam that you re talking of it :) The web site si en french :) But the Wiki is in english (english from a french)

Theire is a new version of Pyrharckade : http://pyrharckade.io/pyrharckade_2_1b.tar.bz2

Pyros will come next ...

See ya all

'Sup.
Good to see you here.
Sorry about the language thing.

berzerking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 05:55:19 am »
no prob ;)

berzerking

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:40 am »
New version de pyrharckade :
Modifications / News :

+ download manager directly from the game selection : push "z" key or button 3 of joystick.

+ download manager for all media use rom by rom and not rom by media

+ add vertical mode (./start.py X/Y par default X)

http://pyrharckade.io/pyrharckade_2_5b.tar.bz2

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 01:33:15 pm
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:15 am »
RetroFE has just added Pi 2 support as well: http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=170.0

the720k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2019, 02:31:47 am
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2015, 01:11:11 am »
If anyone is interested, you may want to go to That Other Site that has all the roms.  I have a project I uploaded there.  It's very simple - just boots directly into mame4all in a read-only environment with a read-write partition for save games, controls, etc.  This makes it very useable for a replacement of a failed PCB in arcade games or a replacement for those xxx-in-1 boards.  You can kill power to your cab and not have to worry about SD card corruption.  Also eliminates the need to do any sort of complicated safe shutdown methods on the Pi.  Either boot into the default mame4all menu or enable rw mode and edit rc.local to boot straight into the game of your choice.  I've gotten some decent feedback on that project and a lot of people seem to be happy with it overall.  I use it for a portable arcade stick I modified, as well as for my living room TV and a drop-in replacement for my Xevious cab.  The current downloadable version is about 5.something GB and is ready-to-run as soon as you write it to an SD card.  Now that I've released version 2.0, all future revisions will have the .37 roms not included so I'll be able to post it here and elsewhere.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has run into this issue, but with mame4all on the Pi, many games in wonky resolutions look awful because of the pixels being taller and mame4all not knowing how to handle tall pixels.  This causes the games to look squished and you have large black borders on the top and bottom when playing on a 4:3 display.  MAME .37 didn't account for those taller pixels, so some hacking was in order to work around the issue.  Squished CPS roms irritated me to no end, so I played a bit with the mame4all source and added a way to stretch the display when in anti-aliased mode for those of us using 4:3 monitors.  Stretching in this case actually makes sense, as you're only really stretching vertically, thus really only making the pixels taller during emulation.  Very little to no distortion of the original bitmap in any game I've done this with.  Street Fighter 2 has never looked or played so well on a Pi until this hack.  You guys are welcome to download it and overwrite your existing mame4all with mine.  I included the old mame4all binary in the archive in case you want to revert to the original.  My hack is totally optional, meaning you just toggle it on and off in mame.cfg, so you may want to give this a look.  I've contacted Squid and he expressed interest into pulling it into master, so you may see this happen on future official mame4all-pi releases when/if he incorporates it.  Just remember that fullscreen stretching only works in anti-aliasing mode.  So if you turn that off, you get the same old weird native res on all games. 

In the meantime, here's my mame4all hack

Enjoy!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:19:50 am by the720k »
My Machines:  Sega Top Skater | Vertical 25" JAMMA cabinet (Raiden Fighters II / 60-in-1 currently) |  Xevious (Restored)  |  3-Player MAME in a previously MA(i)MEd Beast Busters cab (In progress)  |  19" upright 2-player MAME cab w/light gun  |  Pac-Man Cocktail running MAME (built from scratch - no original harmed in the making) : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64599.0

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2015, 01:10:25 pm »
i just put together a new setup with mame4all on my rpi 1 using DietPi OS.
found the same thing with mame4all but i'm using a 4:3 19" and plan to have tinted plexi over it so people wouldn't be able to tell if there was a border.
i'm also rotating mame4all for vertical only games.

I'll take a look at your build.

Edit: seems to work well. breaks the scanlines though. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:42:03 pm by nitrogen_widget »

StefanBurger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 08:30:04 am
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Hello everyone!

Yes I tried. I started with model 1 and switch to model 2 some weeks ago.

I use a copy of mame4all-pi and as I have some skills in C++, I did the following modifications:

1) modified the mame4all-pi text-output routines, so that the text of the menu is always oriented according to the mame-core orientation (mame.cfg: parameters ror, rol, flipx, flipy). Therefore its now possible to install the game monitor partrait instead of landscape while the menu is still readable.

2) modified the mame4all-pi txt-output routines once more, so that the font can be replaced with a custom font by providing a configuration file. Created a set of 16 different fonts. But its basically unlimitted.

3) incorporated an usb-driver (based upon hidlib and a code sample that I found on the internet) to support ultimarcs pacdrive. I have only led-lighted controls on my controler board. I implemented the pacdrive usb-driver into the mame4all-pi menu routines so, that when a game becomes selected, the routine reads the supported controls out of the mame game driver and only those controls become ilumanated, that are supported by the selected game.

4) incorporated an servo driver (attached to gpio). So when a game becomes selected, the routine reads the mame game driver to check if either a 4-way or a 8-way joystick is supported. Depending on that, the driver turns the servo motor and an attached restrictor plate by 45° to restrict either for 4- or 8-ways. I 3d-printed a mount for the servo and the restrictor plate to mount both on the bottom of the joystick

5) Very exiting!: I ordered a so called "Gert VGA666" adapter (cheap, approx 10 €). This adapter allows to connect an hdmi monitor and an vga monitor at the same time to the raspi and by using some low leval API of the graphic hardware it becomes possible to have independent monitor outputs at the same time. I wrote small library and implemented it to the mame4all-pi menu routines, so that once a game within the menu becomes selected, on the secondary vga display a dynamic marquee will be displayed (while on the primary monitor still menu or game is running). This modification needs some refinement, as my function that display the marquee file does not yet copensate different resolutions of the marquee graphics (PNG format).

And yes, all that works for me on just one single raspi2!!

I'm also currently working on a machine that allows to cut an LCD-panel to a custom format, especially for marquees. Also work in progress, but some files are available on thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:625790

Regards
Stefan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:17:47 pm by StefanBurger »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
Hello everyone!

Yes I tried. I started with model 1 and switch to model 2 some weeks ago.

I use a copy of mame4all-pi and as I have some skills in C++, I did the following modifications:

1) modified the mame4all-pi text-output routines, so that the text of the menu is always oriented according to the mame-core orientation (mame.cfg: parameters ror, rol, flipx, flipy). Therefore its now possible to install the game monitor partrait instead of landscape while the menu is still readable.

2) modified the mame4all-pi txt-output routines once more, so that the font can be replaced with a custom font by providing a configuration file. Created a set of 16 different fonts. But its basically unlimitted.

3) incorporated an usb-driver (based upon hidlib and a code sample that I found on the internet) to support ultimarcs pacdrive. I have only led-lighted controls on my controler board. I implemented the pacdrive usb-driver into the mame4all-pi menu routines so, that when a game becomes selected, the routine reads the supported controls out of the mame game driver and only those controls become ilumanated, that are supported by the selected game.

4) incorporated an servo driver (attached to gpio). So when a game becomes selected, the routine reads the mame game driver to check if either a 4-way or a 8-way joystick is supported. Depending on that, the driver turns the servo motor and an attached restrictor plate by 45° to restrict either for 4- or 8-ways. I 3d-printed a mount for the servo and the restrictor plate to mount both on the bottom of the joystick

5) Very exiting!: I ordered a so called "Gert VGA666" adapter (cheap, approx 10 €). This adapter allows to connect an hdmi monitor and an vga monitor at the same time to the raspi and by using some low leval API of the graphic hardware it becomes possible to have independent monitor outputs at the same time. I wrote small library and implemented it to the mame4all-pi menu routines, so that once a game within the menu becomes selected, on the secondary vga display a dynamic marquee will be displayed (while on the primary monitor still menu or game is running). This modification needs some refinement, as my function that display the marquee file does not yet copensate different resolutions of the marquee graphics (PNG format).

And yes, all that works for me on just one single raspi2!!

I'm also currently working on a machine that allows to cut an LCD-panel to a custom format, especially for marquees. Also work in progress, but some files are available on thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:625790

Regards
Stefan

Dude, that's awesome!  I've been thinking of using a pi2 for my next project but had no idea how to do #4 on your list.  Would you mind sharing more details, or even your build!

That's LCD cutter looks like a cool concept, would love to see how that turns out.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

StefanBurger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 04:16:19 pm »
Yes, I'm basically fine with sharing my stuff.

Just from a practical view it might become difficult as there are some dependencies.
Maybe I backup the whole image, but no idea how to exchange a file that big.

By the way: the gpio base address on raspi 1 is different to that for raspi 2. So the current implamentation for the servo would not work an an model 1 without adaption.
The pwm (pulse width modulation) is done in software istead of hardware. Therefore the gpio pin can be modified just by an configuration file entry.

the720k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2015, 12:51:04 am »
i just put together a new setup with mame4all on my rpi 1 using DietPi OS.
found the same thing with mame4all but i'm using a 4:3 19" and plan to have tinted plexi over it so people wouldn't be able to tell if there was a border.
i'm also rotating mame4all for vertical only games.

I'll take a look at your build.

Edit: seems to work well. breaks the scanlines though. :)

Thanks for checking it out.  Yeah, I forgot to mention the scanline thing.  They don't turn out too pretty when stretching.  This is due to when the stretching happens in the code (after the scanline shader is applied.)  I might have another look at it at some point and try to figure out a better way to do this.  Fix one thing, break two others, right?  ;)  But for my purposes it works fine, as I don't use the scanline shader in mame4all-pi, and I do like the antialiasing when using LCD monitors. 

Stefan: Sounds great.  Looking forward to seeing your work at some point!  You may want to jump onto the *ahem* other site and post your image as a torrent.  The community there would be thrilled to check it out, present company included.  Particularly in terms of retaining the menu while using -rol or -ror.  That's awesome!!  Do you have any screenshots?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:53:56 am by the720k »
My Machines:  Sega Top Skater | Vertical 25" JAMMA cabinet (Raiden Fighters II / 60-in-1 currently) |  Xevious (Restored)  |  3-Player MAME in a previously MA(i)MEd Beast Busters cab (In progress)  |  19" upright 2-player MAME cab w/light gun  |  Pac-Man Cocktail running MAME (built from scratch - no original harmed in the making) : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64599.0

StefanBurger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2015, 02:05:35 am »
Other side?

Other side of the moon?

Other side of the force?

the720k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2015, 09:07:18 am »
Other site.  As in that other site where everyone gets their roms for nearly every version of MAME out there. 

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 09:18:38 am »
This is pure awesomenss.  I just pulled my b+ out of my arcade project and swapped it out for a 2.  Looks like I have so pi tinkering to do in the near future!  Thank you for the contrabution the720k.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:40:02 pm by sharpfork »

StefanBurger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »
Other site.  As in that other site where everyone gets their roms for nearly every version of MAME out there.

Hmmmm, the problem is, that there are several sites with rom.
That makes a hard guess.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 03:55:06 pm »
Hmmmm, the problem is, that there are several sites with rom.
That makes a hard guess.
He's just following Rule 5.

Scott

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 06:23:09 pm »
This is pure awesomenss.  I just pulled my b+ out of my arcade project and swapped it out for a 2.  Looks like I have so pi tinkering to do in the near future!  Thank you for the contrabution the720k.

I've compiled & installed Attract mode on both RPIb /256mb model and an RPI2.
The rpi1 runs surprisingly well using one of the minimal distro's.

Most of the included layouts with wheel art work just fine.
main issue is you need to give the GPU ~100MB to handle attract mode & mame4all.
otherwise some ROMS just won't load.

But since my rpi1 is going to be a dedicated vertical it's all good.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »
Crafty mech needs to make a hdmi to cga converter now!

Mocean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2017, 01:18:53 pm
  • My pins are lonely...
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 03:42:35 pm »
Any progress on releasing a version of the SD image without the roms?  I'm eager to give this a try!

Thanks!

If anyone is interested, you may want to go to That Other Site that has all the roms.  I have a project I uploaded there.  It's very simple - just boots directly into mame4all in a read-only environment with a read-write partition for save games, controls, etc.  This makes it very useable for a replacement of a failed PCB in arcade games or a replacement for those xxx-in-1 boards.  You can kill power to your cab and not have to worry about SD card corruption.  Also eliminates the need to do any sort of complicated safe shutdown methods on the Pi.  Either boot into the default mame4all menu or enable rw mode and edit rc.local to boot straight into the game of your choice.  I've gotten some decent feedback on that project and a lot of people seem to be happy with it overall.  I use it for a portable arcade stick I modified, as well as for my living room TV and a drop-in replacement for my Xevious cab.  The current downloadable version is about 5.something GB and is ready-to-run as soon as you write it to an SD card.  Now that I've released version 2.0, all future revisions will have the .37 roms not included so I'll be able to post it here and elsewhere.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has run into this issue, but with mame4all on the Pi, many games in wonky resolutions look awful because of the pixels being taller and mame4all not knowing how to handle tall pixels.  This causes the games to look squished and you have large black borders on the top and bottom when playing on a 4:3 display.  MAME .37 didn't account for those taller pixels, so some hacking was in order to work around the issue.  Squished CPS roms irritated me to no end, so I played a bit with the mame4all source and added a way to stretch the display when in anti-aliased mode for those of us using 4:3 monitors.  Stretching in this case actually makes sense, as you're only really stretching vertically, thus really only making the pixels taller during emulation.  Very little to no distortion of the original bitmap in any game I've done this with.  Street Fighter 2 has never looked or played so well on a Pi until this hack.  You guys are welcome to download it and overwrite your existing mame4all with mine.  I included the old mame4all binary in the archive in case you want to revert to the original.  My hack is totally optional, meaning you just toggle it on and off in mame.cfg, so you may want to give this a look.  I've contacted Squid and he expressed interest into pulling it into master, so you may see this happen on future official mame4all-pi releases when/if he incorporates it.  Just remember that fullscreen stretching only works in anti-aliasing mode.  So if you turn that off, you get the same old weird native res on all games. 

In the meantime, here's my mame4all hack

Enjoy!   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »
I just want to chime in that the720k's project KICKS ASS! I'm a believer.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:00 pm »
Yes, I'm basically fine with sharing my stuff.

Just from a practical view it might become difficult as there are some dependencies.
Maybe I backup the whole image, but no idea how to exchange a file that big.

By the way: the gpio base address on raspi 1 is different to that for raspi 2. So the current implamentation for the servo would not work an an model 1 without adaption.
The pwm (pulse width modulation) is done in software istead of hardware. Therefore the gpio pin can be modified just by an configuration file entry.

@StefanBurger Not sure how big the file would be, but there is a 2GB limit for attachments here (zip is OK) and you could remove the roms to save space.  I would really like to try your servo control setup, and alas I have not the programming skills to figure out myself.

Thanks.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Mocean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2017, 01:18:53 pm
  • My pins are lonely...
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »
:(

I just want to chime in that the720k's project KICKS ASS! I'm a believer.

LEDAero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2015, 03:32:46 am
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 03:32:12 am »

Well, I had a rather lengthy post up on the Raspberry Pi site if you care to take a look at the trials and tribulations I have had with getting Mame to work with the Raspi:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=44667

I did manage to get it to work, but every so often it would still blow the SD card.  Of course I do have backups but since I was testing the feasibility of using a Raspi for a cabinet build.  Let's just say it flunked the test.  I just simply can't have it blowing SD cards constantly.

90% of corrupted SD cards were due to either not enough juice (cheap wall-wart) or overclocking.

The other 10% was cheap SD cards.

Which was it in your case?

I've been using R'Pi's since about a couple of months after they came out - some have stayed powered on for months at a time and never a single corrupted SD card.

I use 2A power supplies and always buy quality cards.

Badly-configured Linux implementations, where the log file is constantly being written to the SD is another problem- eventually the card fills up.

As hardware, the Pi is extremely reliable. I have 5 of them, doing duty as such things as streaming hifi receivers, wifi repeaters, Airplay powered speakers, second TV streamer.

The hifi and wifi units have been on as long as the power has held up  in the house - and we haven't had a power cut for  a while.

But then I don't have a need to overclock - which some seem to do as a matter of course.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »
also,
Shutting down the rpi instead of just unplugging it keeps the os good.
I have my gpio's hooked up to just run a halt script.
No matter what I do to lock up my RPI hitting my shut off button eventually shuts it down & lets me start back up no problem.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:08 pm »
To anyone using The720k's build, how can I change the blinky loading screen? I've been trying for 2 hours and I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious. I've replaced the file in the main folder, is there another copy of it somewhere? I am trying to make it a little more theme appropriate for my cab.

the720k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2015, 01:54:21 am »
To anyone using The720k's build, how can I change the blinky loading screen? I've been trying for 2 hours and I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious. I've replaced the file in the main folder, is there another copy of it somewhere? I am trying to make it a little more theme appropriate for my cab.

Hey there, sorry for the delay - I don't log in as often as I probably should.  Yes, you can change the blinky png file pretty easily.  Do a

Code: [Select]
sudo rwenable
and then replace /etc_org/splashscreen.png with the png of your choice.  The png files in the /home/pi folder are just there for doing a quick replacement of the /etc_org/splashscreen.png file.  I thought I put this in my instructions somewhere, but I've had a few people ask this, so I probably just forgot to mention it.  I've been meaning to revise the instructions at some point anyway, 

Hope you enjoy the project!  v3.0 will be out at some point in the not-so-distant future, and it'll include my modified mame4all binary baked-in so that people can play CPS roms and other oddball roms with weird native resolutions without the "squish" factor on 4:3 monitors.  I'm also planning on adding a way to rotate the mame4all menu for vertical displays.  Stay tuned to the official thread on the other site for updates. 

And someone here also asked if I've made any progress in making an image that doesn't include all the roms.  Thanks for reminding me!  Yes, v3.0 will have two releases - the "lite" version with no roms - just the structure I built for the distro, and the "renegade" version that will only be posted at the other site.  I'll post a link in this thread to the "lite" edition when I have it ready, and I'll try to make one for 2.0 as well. 

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »
Nitro: I could not get to retropie through my network, but the usb stick worked pretty good. Now how do I transfer snaps?
If you're running Linux (Raspbian, PiPlay, etc) then just use SCP or SFTP.   The Pi comes with SSH enabled by default (enabling remote command-line logon), which also allows file transfer over the same protocol.  If you're a Windows user, WinSCP or Filezilla will allow these protocols.  For Mac users, grab CyberDuck.

Crafty mech needs to make a hdmi to cga converter now!
I backed the "Gert VGA666" kickstarter that offered a VGA port for the RPi B+ and 2.  Thread here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141660.0.html

I haven't even taken mine out of the packet yet due to working commitments, but one of the first things I'm going to try is pumping 15KHz modes out of the Pi to a CGA monitor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:08:18 pm by elvis »