Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $1.99 AR + S/H CyberPower Surge Protector - Can it be used as a Smart Strip?  (Read 904 times)

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:45 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8067277&srkey=YYS1-3547996

$1.99 After Main-In Rebate + S/H.

The CyberPower 7050SG is a Home/Office Computer Surge Protector with seven (7) total surge protected outlets and three (3) Energy-Saving outlets designed to turn off up to three connected devices when your computer is shut down or goes into standby mode.

So, could it be used as a Smart Strip?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:30:47 am by SlammedNiss »
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Sounds like it should work but it is not clear which outlet is the control outlet that your computer plugs into.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:45 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
Sounds like it should work but it is not clear which outlet is the control outlet that your computer plugs into.

Went ahead and picked one up. Figured it was worth the $2 + stamp for the rebate.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
I found a picture:

It looks like if there's the master for the computer plus three outlets that are controlled by the master and then another three outlets that are always on. I just got a smart strip from Amazon, but if I didn't I would get this one.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
I am pretty sure I have one of these and it works fine. The big downside is there were only 3 ports that would turn off, and with one of the ports being filled with a transformer for my speaker, it took up two slots of space. I pretty much could only plug in two slave devices without an additional AC splitter.

Another problem with it was that I did have an old computer I originally used it with that was drawing too much power while the computer was off, and the power strip slave ports just stayed on all the time. I swapped in a newer PSU and it worked fine after that. That is an issue with smart strips that don't have a tuning dial. The reverse could happen as well where a micro pc that doesn't use much power will not ever use enough juice to trigger the slave ports.