Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replaced Purple MB with an A7N8X-LA and have no sound.  (Read 2905 times)

GrimJack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 05:15:05 pm
Replaced Purple MB with an A7N8X-LA and have no sound.
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »
I replaced a dead purple MB with the A7N8X-LA MB in an ION 2008. Boots up and plays but has no sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am assuming I need to change the sound driver. Thanks.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 08:11:25 pm
Re: Replaced Purple MB with an A7N8X-LA and have no sound.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:42:26 am »
I replaced a dead purple MB with the A7N8X-LA MB in an ION 2008. Boots up and plays but has no sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am assuming I need to change the sound driver. Thanks.

Search button is your friend. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142102.0.html

GrimJack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:40:42 pm »
I did search the forum and tried the suggestions. Nothing worked. The driver seems to load fine. I did a hardware discovery using the dip switch setting too. I am starting to think that this "new" MB is faulty. I am going to install XP on a drive and see if I can get sounds out of this MB using XP.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:15 pm »
Well, most likely your "new" Mobo is the problem. I have used that same mobo in a 2008 Ion and i can assure you there is no issues with sound drivers.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »
wait
u are going to  install xp on a ion drive ?
dose this wreck your merit layer ? :mbr/control track:
mike chime in please

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:49 pm »
I am pretty sure he meant he is going to install XP on a different hard drive with this mobo and see if sound works. Which is what i would do if i wasnt sure if it was a software or hardware problem. But i already know sound works on this mobo with Ion 2008 so chances are the motherboard sound is bad.

And to answer your question ed, No it does not wreck the firmware on the hard drive controller. I really dont think you understand how this works. There is no magic special layer. Just like you can flash a mobo bios, you can also flash the bios on the hard drives controller.(firmware) You can also edit the firmware if you know what your doing. In merits case, they edited the model# in the firmware and flashed it to the hard drives controller. Then there software checks for the hard drives model# and tells you its not an official hard drive if it doesnt see "MERIT" in the model#

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:28:02 pm »
well his wording
never mind I see it now  :banghead: :banghead:
the op said install on another drive

>I did search the forum and tried the suggestions. Nothing worked. The driver seems to load fine. I did a hardware discovery using the dip switch setting too. I am starting to think that this "new" MB is faulty. I am going to install XP on a drive and see if I can get sounds out of this MB using XP.<

ed

Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

GrimJack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 11:01:01 am »
Thanks for all the responses. Ih ave confirmed by installing XP on a different drive that the sound is not working on the new MB. I asked for a replacement. I did find something interesting. Here is the series of events:

1) Original MB was dead.
2) Replaced it with the ASUS MB. CMOS battery was dead.
3) No sound. Got tired of it keep asking me for settings each time I turned it off.
4) Installed new battery.
5) Booted once and tried to get the sound working. No luck so powered off.
6) New MB would not power on again. ( Just like the original MB. ) Only thing that was different.... New battery.
7) Removed the new CMOS battery. New MB boots again
8) Confirmed new MB has faulty sound by installing XP and Realtek drivers.
9) New idea... What if I try the battery removal trick with the original MB.
10) Guess what.... The original MB powers up when I removed the CMOS battery!

I do not know what this means in the grand scheme of things but I am going to complete the transition back to the original MB and see what happens.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 01:24:26 pm »
Replace the CMOS batt on the original MB and put a pc power button switch on the front panel jumper pin. Most likely your CMOS settings are set incorrectly. You need to go into the BIOS and reset defaults.

GrimJack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »
OK. I replaced the battery. It is booting fine. I have had Dell PC's do this where the charge needed to be drained on the MB. Weird. Anyway, I now have a replacement MB with no sound that I have asked the eBay seller for another and I also bought a used A7N8X-LA for $29 in case the original MB dies again. Thanks for all the responses.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:01 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:25 pm »
just a quick update (also sending this reply update to another thread.)

had to replace a motherboard, normally i just swap the board and boot up. sometimes a few reboots are needed to get the detected hardware all working, but long story short, and ended up with no sound...otherwise the machine operated fine.

no error messages, it seemed to detect okay...just no sound.

did a reinstall of the game software...

sound works. could have been some error in the detection or a bad file or something.

so after a board swap, if things are acting funny... you may have to reinstall the game software to get everything good again.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »
In the Original posters case, even after installing WIN XP on this mobo the sound was not working.

But i do see a possible issue with replacing the purple board for the A7N8X-LA. The issue is that this A7N8X-LA is a hybrid mix between the purple ECS and the Official ASUS board. Its possible that during the reconfiguration, the sound chip install scripts could load the wrong sound chip modules. I have never straight swapped out the purple mobo for the A7N8X-LA so i can not verify this.

But as lilshawn mentioned, doing a complete reinstall of the software should fix this possible issue. And if not, then more then likely the sound chip is indeed not working.