Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Switching resolutions with Windows 7 problems  (Read 1554 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
MAME Switching resolutions with Windows 7 problems
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:41:50 pm »
I recently decided to give Win7 a try in my cab and I think I'm seeing an issue that might not of happened under XP.  My OS is on a separate drive so I only changed the OS drive and not any of my MAME settings.  I'm using an ArcadeVGA 2, a D9200 Monitor, Windows 7, and recent version of MAME.  All ini's are setup per game and the mame ini is setup correctly as well.

My problem is that MAME seems to ignore my resolution set in the ini file.  This also causes MAME to take forever to load.  Running MAME with verbose, it seems to pause for a while after it lists all available resolutions and chooses one.  When doing some testing last night I'm not sure if it is limited to, but easily noticeable using Williams games like Narc and T2.  My desktop is set to 640x480 and I'm trying to switch to 401x256.  MAME keeps setting it to something like 632x264.  I running with the trisync utility so I don't think I am hitting the Windows 7 direct draw bug, but I tried to set my desktop to 640x288 and had the same issue.  I can manually set my desktop to 401x256, turn switchres off, and run the games correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

haynor666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
Re: MAME Switching resolutions with Windows 7 problems
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:44:53 pm »
Narc is 512x400 in game and T2 is 404x255 so 401x256 in both cases is not enough.

I have experience this pause. Probably too much resolutions in system. After I limited to 50 different modes I don't have such problem. You might try super resolutions. This would fix both problems.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Re: MAME Switching resolutions with Windows 7 problems
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:21 pm »
My understanding is MAME should switch to any resolution I pick whether it is right or wrong.  For T2, 401x256 is close enough.  For NARC, I forget what my ini is set to.  When you say Super Resolutions, I'm assuming you are referring to a GroovyMAME feature.  I'm not using GroovyMAME.  I'm not sure the number of resolutions is the problem as I'm telling MAME what resolution to switch to.  It does probe and list the available resolutions,but only lists a dozen or so and then pauses a few lines after MAME has chosen the resolution it wants to switch to.