Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any interest in $10 marquee translites? (CURRENT TRANSLITE PRICE is $15)  (Read 27073 times)

stpcore

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2019, 05:48:56 pm
Re: Any interest in $10 marquee translites?
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:57 am »
I will be printing the second batch of marquees this weekend and shipping Monday. I will update status on the first post!
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 05:01:54 pm »
Received my marquee today, PM'ed you some quick questions.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2015, 05:22:51 pm »
As the marquees start to arrive I wanted to let you know what to expect when receiving them.

There are two sides of the marquee.  One side has a matte finish while the other side has a high gloss reflective finish.  The marquee is actually printed on the matte finish side (not the gloss side) as that is the side that absorbs the ink.  The gloss side is the back side of the marquee which aids in it's illumination qualities.  When you receive your marquee it may look dark and dull as is (no glass cover or light source).  This is normal of most arcade marquees as they are designed to be back lit.  When you place the marquee behind plexi or glass that plexi/glass will give it a gloss look and when you turn on your light source from behind the marquee it will then look very colorful and vibrant.  I just want to clear that up in the event anyone wonders why the marquee isn't printed on the gloss side as that is not how these work.

Another wave of marquees will be shipping tomorrow (Monday).  If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Before (poster printer on flat paper):

After:

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2015, 08:29:56 pm »
Before (poster printer on flat paper):

After:

Bad. Ass.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2015, 11:19:45 pm »
*immediately starts working in marquee art.

That is flipping outstanding!

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:00 am »

PBJ, thanks for taking the time to post your pics...I really appreciate it.  Thanks to those of you that have contacted me via PM as well.

The second batch of marquees shipped yesterday and I've updated the first post to reflect all status changes.  If your status seems incorrect please contact me so I can correct it.  As always if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to contact me as I will be happy to help to the best of my ability!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:01 am »
Glad to help, thanks for the marquees.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
Received mine yesterday, very pleased. I'm will take some photos as well, but I am waiting for my new digital camera to arrive in the mail.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2015, 10:51:39 am »
Mine came in yesterday.  Colors are beautiful, will be a while before I get them lit but they're legit. 

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2015, 11:47:08 am »
Mine came in yesterday.  Colors are beautiful, will be a while before I get them lit but they're legit.

I really liked the colors in your marquees as well, Le Chuck and Vigo.  Awesome art.  If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and hold them up to a light source (or the sun) and the transformation of colors with this material is pretty remarkable.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:50:56 am by stpcore »

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
I know from personal experience that prepaying for something that you've never seen before from someone that you haven't dealt with before isn't always the wisest thing to do these days.  To thank each one of you for your trust I'm going to honor the $10 per marquee price for all the members that are on the presale list (located in the first post) for all personal future orders.  So any time you need a new marquee just contact me and it's $10.  I now place my trust in you that you will use this "thank you" discount for personal machines/projects and not for financial gains (reselling marquees).   

As I would still like to make this service advantageous for those that are not on the preorder list I am going to set the price for all other BYOAC member purchases to $15 per marquee.

I hope that this helps some of you that may be working within a budget.  As a husband, a father, and an arcade enthusiast I can certainly understand the importance of keeping costs as low as possible!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2015, 11:56:58 am »
I know from personal experience that prepaying for something that you've never seen before from someone that you haven't dealt with before isn't always the wisest thing to do these days.  To thank each one of you for your trust I'm going to honor the $10 per marquee price for all the members that are on the presale list (located in the first post) for all personal future orders.  So any time you need a new marquee just contact me and it's $10.  I now place my trust in you that you will use this "thank you" discount for personal machines/projects and not for financial gains (reselling marquees).   

As I would still like to make this service advantageous for those that are not on the preorder list I am going to set the price for all other BYOAC member purchases to $15 per marquee.

I hope that this helps some of you that may be working within a budget.  As a husband, a father, and an arcade enthusiast I can certainly understand the importance of keeping costs as low as possible!

:gobama

You're a ---smurfing--- rock star, dude! Thanks for doing this. I may have a new order for you in a few days.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:09 pm »
*shazzle*

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:10 pm »
*shazzle*

I *shazzled* my pants as well.

Mr_Numbers

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2017, 10:49:05 am
  • Long time lurker, first time builder
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »
Wow, that translite looks amazing.  Very excited about this purchase!

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2015, 08:40:14 pm »

Very cool bro. I will certainly go to you again. I got Rush the Rock in the mail yesterday. It looks good. I hope to put it in my cab and see it lit up this weekend.I need to get a hole punch as it will be behind the piece of plexi that is held up with screws rather than a retainer tray/bracket.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:42 pm »
My artwork arrived today (my post office is almost as terrible as the weather has been)

looks kinda dull when not backlit:

but put a light source behind it and it looks AMAZING!

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,144223.0.html
This is just held up in front of the room light, cant hold it up to the window cause its still overcast/snowing/freezing raining out.

I'll be recreating a ton more artwork that my cabs need thanks to stpcore!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:03 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys and thanks for the pics, Malenko.  I appreciate you guys sharing.

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 12:44:12 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2015, 10:26:50 pm »
I'm in for one as soon as I figure out what art I'm going to use.
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:19 pm »
My 4 came in today, and they look great! I'll post a photo when  I get them mounted.

Mamezilla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 09:19:21 am
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 07:26:06 am »
I've ordered a translite marquee from stpcore, and at the same time, asked him about printing some sideart and a control panel overlay. 
He gladly helped me with what I was intending to do and made suggestions.

I received all that artwork this week and I can honestly that everything he sent me is beautiful and perfect.  The translite marquee is just awesome, that material does wonders.  Every print is perfect, and the vinyl he's using for the sideart + CPO is quality material, doesn't feel cheap at all. Very satisfied with the results !

I'm so glad that I decided to go with him for my artwork needs.  He always answered promptly to all my questions and offered advice all the way thru.  I just can't thank him enough for everything he did for me.  This guy is a real asset to this community and I'll never hesitate to have him do some prints again for me in the future.  The artwork should be installed this weekend and I'll post pics when I do.

Again, thanks for everyting, Ken !   :applaud:
Don't throw rocks to a man with a machine gun
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:57 am »
Since the task of removing two screws and inserting these marquees seems to be too onerous for others on this forum, I present another installed picture:

Obviously I will need to tweak the centering and plug a couple of light leaks, but this is a nice improvement over the cheap print out in there previously.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 10:11:40 am »
Since the task of removing two screws and inserting these marquees seems to be too onerous for others on this forum, I present another installed picture:
merp. Mine also involves getting a piece of plexi cut, replacing the light fixture, and getting the cab moved so I can get a pictue of the front :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:45 pm »
Since the task of removing two screws and inserting these marquees seems to be too onerous for others on this forum...

Waiting for my digital camera to come in the mail. Was coming Wednesday, but delayed to next Monday. When you get a camera for $200 below retail, sometimes inventory issues crop up. Also buying new plexi and cutting over the weekend.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »

And he doesn't even post here

:dizzy:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:17:02 pm by pbj »

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »
I was wondering how you posted that one, PBJ, ha!  Thanks for taking the time to do that. 

In addition, thanks to everyone that took some time to share with their experience in working with me.  I really appreciate working with you guys on your projects and hope to do so again whenever you need some help.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:13:46 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2015, 06:05:00 pm »
Thanks again for the prints. At first I was worried because the print looked a little faded. But once mounted and lit up it turned out great. Will do business with again  :cheers:

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2015, 01:56:41 pm »
Thanks again for the prints. At first I was worried because the print looked a little faded. But once mounted and lit up it turned out great. Will do business with again  :cheers:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that you took the time to post.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2015, 05:20:55 am »
OK, I finally got the chance to take some photos and mount my marquee. A little background to my project. I have a dedicated Trog Machine. Parts specific to a dedicated Trog are hard to come by. I have multiple Marquees for Trog kits, but they marquees in the kits are taller and less wide. I needed to add a inch and a half to the sides to make it fit in my dedicated machine. I photoshopped a new marquee with the needed width and stpcore printed it out for me.  Here are my results.

Side by Side

On the top is an original Silk Screen printed Trog Marquee. Below is the modified extra wide one stpcore printed for me. The biggest thing I noticed is that the black levels are a bit dimmer. The black outlines are turned to a dark gray. My guess is that the material must be suck in the ink quite a bit, and it is probably a result of the material rather than the printer.

On the flip side. White was brilliant! Very bright, vibrant and pure. A marquee with a lot of white space is going to be stunning unlit and lit. Compare the white space around the word "TROG"

Color

I have to admit, when I sent this off to stpcore, I was in a panic about color. All my test prints on my home photo printer and the big expensive color printer at my work looked like garbage. Have you ever tried to print pure cyan on a printer? You would think that a CMYK based printer would be able to print pure cyan. Nope. It all came out as medium blue. Bloop, the dino in this picture was coming out about the same color as the background. Needless to say. stpcore nailed it. All the colors look great.

Sharpness

The marquee was very sharp and detailed. If you press your face against it, you can see signs that it was printed, but from a viewing distance of only a foot away, none of that visible in the least.

I actually put the sharpness to the test. Unbeknownst to stpcore (but knownst to me) I but a micro-signature into my marquee. In the splatter background I added to the left and right margins, I hid "VIGO - 2015". It came out perfectly sharp and clear.

With Plexi

I wanted to show this because the plexi does a lot to add a glossy sheen and actually brings back a bit of the saturation lost due to the material being used. It looks good!

Backlit

Jaw dropped. Beautiful. My only complaint is that I need a wider light than the stock one in place now, as I now want to capture every little bit of the soft glow of electric sex gleaming from the marquee space with this beautiful translite in place.

I want to include a close up of Trog here, because I think it is good to note that the original silk screened marquee used a couple ink free spots on Trog's nose, lip and fingertip. I was worried that shine would be lost in translation to a digital print, but luckily it still looks great.

Final Verdict

This last image is the nail in the coffin of why I am a incredibly pleased with the translite. I took images of the three materials I had side by side to see how they looked backlit. I am not surprised that the translite looks better than the $10 kinkos print I had done a few years back. But I was really surprised to see how much the translite outperformed the original silk screen marquee. Notice that the silk screen blue background by Trog's eye looks almost black? Light simply doesn't emanate as well through the silk screen as much as the translite does.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »
I'm in for a couple of these eventually and I was already excited but that summary/review from Vigo is a great push for the quality of these, I'm pretty excited to get my artwork finished up and put a new marquee on my cabinets.

dashingw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2022, 09:51:22 pm
  • Miss my 80's
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:06 pm »
Got mine today and Im very happy with it for my first marquee. Here's a before and after. Keep in mind I need to find a better light to put in my light box. right now it came with an 18" Flourescent fixture and I cant find any bulb that size over 15watts. And seeing as how my light box inside is 23-3/4" wide the sides are missing alot of the main light,,,,, Any light suggestions would be welcome by the way, feel free to pm me....

Actually looking at it in the basement, these pictures don't do it justice, its much brighter than it shows, even at the sides, might need a new camera :-)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:27:29 pm by dashingw »
My Cab's made from an old Atari Pit Fighter upright 90/91

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
Hey Vigo...thanks for taking time for a very fair and balanced review of this material.  I think you hit on all of the key points and I could not have summed it up any better.  :applaud:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »
Happy to do it. It gave me a chance to play with my camera as well. Thanks again for the awesome print job.

KuddlKat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2022, 12:26:26 am
  • Where has the time gone?
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »

Will this offer still be around in a month or two?  I've got two junk cabinets that I'm doing a quickie fix-up with a 60-in-1 and a Pandora's Box 2 setup.  Once I get some time to sit down and hammer out some graphics, I'd like to get marquees for both.  I haven't worked with much besides JPGs, but you said 300dpi for those, correct?

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:09 pm »

Will this offer still be around in a month or two?  I've got two junk cabinets that I'm doing a quickie fix-up with a 60-in-1 and a Pandora's Box 2 setup.  Once I get some time to sit down and hammer out some graphics, I'd like to get marquees for both.  I haven't worked with much besides JPGs, but you said 300dpi for those, correct?

Absolutely, that is a standing offer to all members here.  When you get your art together let me know.  Although 300dpi is preferred, often a lesser quality is perfectly acceptable for an arcade marquee.  Thanks!

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Any interest in $10 marquee translites? (CURRENT TRANSLITE PRICE is $15)
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2015, 04:48:50 pm »
Hi there, new member to byoac.

I really like the look of these, definitely put me down for one! Beats the pants off of taped together printer paper. :P
I have a photoshop file I can send of my artwork soon, need to cut about .5" to 1" off the canvas.

If the fit ends up a little large can it be easily trimmed down?

dustabor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2015, 08:45:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
This is my first build. I'm too late for the $10 deal but i still want to do business with you. I just finished designing my artwork for the marquee last night. Can't wait until I can light it up. I've attached a proof of my design if anyone wants to offer their opinion on it. I appreciate any feedback.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
Hi there, new member to byoac.

I really like the look of these, definitely put me down for one! Beats the pants off of taped together printer paper. :P
I have a photoshop file I can send of my artwork soon, need to cut about .5" to 1" off the canvas.

If the fit ends up a little large can it be easily trimmed down?

Sorry for the late reply.  I don't always get notified of posts through my email for some reason!  The marquees can be trimmed down with a utility knife or even ordinary scissors.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
This is my first build. I'm too late for the $10 deal but i still want to do business with you. I just finished designing my artwork for the marquee last night. Can't wait until I can light it up. I've attached a proof of my design if anyone wants to offer their opinion on it. I appreciate any feedback.

Marquee looks good.  Feel free to PM me when you are ready to print!