Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Beginning game programming course  (Read 45056 times)

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Re: Beginning game programming course
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2015, 12:32:32 pm »
That's how I am at this point. In fact, I am learning more relevant things by working on my own projects, hitting a roadblock, then asking google. I think that unless there is a feature I need for an existing game engine that cannot be built for one reason or another, maybe I am better off using Unity. Don't get me wrong, I would be a better programmer if I had to write everything by code, but that would be taking up way more of my time. And the result are slow... in Unity, I can think of something, and have it implemented pretty quickly.

I believe you're absolutely right that you should be learning how to use Unity and concentrating on being a better (C#) coder than spending time writing an engine yourself. When I started writing games for iOS I wrote my own (C++/OpenGL) engine from scratch. There were benefits at the time as I could highly optimize for slower devices such as the iPhone 3G. I just wouldn't bother doing it these days as technology is moving so quickly that you will spend more time keeping it updated and relevant for new hardware and API's (OpenGL/DirectX) than you would be writing cool and innovative games instead. Hardware these days doesn't require as much optimisation and the engines themselves do a pretty good job of that anyway.

There are other benefits such as Unity being portable to multiple different platforms (including the recently added Nintendo 3DS support). It simplifies many processes also. When I wrote my own engine I also wrote several custom tools such as a vector editor and texture packer. Many of these tools are either built into Unity itself or available on their marketplace. There is also a large community of people who can help when you get stuck as well as project examples and code that you can obtain for free or purchase.

So the bottom line is to save your time and use Unity. It supports the greatest language in the world; C# (IMHO) and has all the support and tools you need so you can concentrate on making games instead of writing an engine to make games.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:34 pm »
I've finished up assignment 6 and been playing with adding a few extras -- Getting the layout to look correct takes some playing with as his constants are set to only show about 4 cards on screen with his small card deck so had to play with it  a bit to fit larger cards and have room for 8 cards per player. If you run into problems send a PM and I'll try to help. The switch is actually pretty easy once you figure it out.

thanks JD. Been playing around with the switch thinngy and I think I may be getting it. But I may take you up on that offer to help before it's all over!

Thats a cool card game you got there. Cant go wrong with angry birds!!
Hopefully my finished game will work, im not going out on a limb and say it will be near as slick as yours though.

Any idea what the final exam will be? A question type test or a project?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2015, 03:56:09 pm »
Any idea what the final exam will be? A question type test or a project?

From the hints he has given or the notes for the optional project give -

This project is optional, but it's a great way to review for the Final Exam. You also get to build another game using the concepts you've learned in the course, and that's a fun thing to do as well.

It is probably something similar to the optional project - do we get a full week for doing it or is it released on a certain day and due shortly after release ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:58:04 pm by JDFan »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »
It is probably something similar to the optional project - do we get a full week for doing it or is it released on a certain day and due shortly after release ?

Good question.
But if one has done all the programming and project assignments, one should still pass even if the final test is not completed. (Im pretty sure final test counts 22% of total score, and you need 75% to pass.)

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: April 17, 2015, 02:10:15 am »
Good question.
But if one has done all the programming and project assignments, one should still pass even if the final test is not completed. (Im pretty sure final test counts 22% of total score, and you need 75% to pass.)

Pretty sure you are correct about that -- Been playing a bit more with assignment 6 and it is coming along :

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:20 am »
That looks very cool.
I wonder how it would look with arcade characters instead of angry birds?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:04 am »
I tried to get into the most recent assignments over the weekend, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

That's how I am at this point. In fact, I am learning more relevant things by working on my own projects, hitting a roadblock, then asking google. I think that unless there is a feature I need for an existing game engine that cannot be built for one reason or another, maybe I am better off using Unity. Don't get me wrong, I would be a better programmer if I had to write everything by code, but that would be taking up way more of my time. And the result are slow... in Unity, I can think of something, and have it implemented pretty quickly.

How long did it take to get past the learning curve in Unity?  I downloaded it the other day, but using a GUI-based game maker is very foreign to me.  Did it take long to get up to speed?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »
I like it. I did all the available tutorials and now I'm running with it.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2015, 05:34:59 pm »
OK programming assignment 6 code is done and submitted.
Got to make the video now.
I am using fraps, which makes an avi file, then I use handbrake to convert the avi to a smaller sized MP4 file.
I would like to film each outcome of the game, (player wins, dealer wins, player busts, dealer busts, tie).
Any one know a good free way to paste 5 MP4's into one MP4 file?
I don't want to keep running one video until I get my 5 versions.
I am a complete noob when it comes to video editing.

Note: Im adding player busts and dealer busts clips because of the message I display when one busts.
Here is one with dealer winning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9d_M8xpnAs&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:40:10 pm by DaOld Man »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:56 pm »
Everybody got their assignment 6 finished? You have until Sunday night, so come on guys, we are almost through this.
BTW, solved my video splicing issue by making a "right click mouse to replay the game" function (thanks JDFan for suggesting this), then I just made a long video by replaying a few times.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:34 pm »
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up anymore.... There is a lot of real life stuff keeping away from this. I'm really bummed since I made it through week 7 but then everything came at me at once and it wont be stopping for another couple weeks. :-\

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 09:07:15 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
...nearly there with assignment 6. Not as tough as I was expecting from all his warnings. I've a bit to do but I'll get there.

I've not watched any of the video lectures yet this week. Do I have to? Can I hand in the assignment, mark others last weeks efforts and then catch up with them next week (which I think is an easier/rest/Main project only week?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: April 23, 2015, 04:28:29 pm »
...nearly there with assignment 6. Not as tough as I was expecting from all his warnings. I've a bit to do but I'll get there.

I've not watched any of the video lectures yet this week. Do I have to? Can I hand in the assignment, mark others last weeks efforts and then catch up with them next week (which I think is an easier/rest/Main project only week?

Yeah he tries to scare us pretty good -- The only hard part is actually thinking through the logic and getting it set up correctly for checking who wins.

Finally figured out how to make a stand alone program out of the assignment so if anyone wants to try my version of AngryBirds BlockJuck heres a zip file just extract to a folder and run the ProgrammingAssignment6.exe -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/i30eqpxd34oru0n/ProgrammingAssignment6.7z?dl=0

It should work without the need for VS and should have all the needed content included.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2015, 05:26:24 pm »
maybe I am better off using Unity.

Just one other thing regarding Unity. For the best IDE / dev environment /debugger I recommend you use:

- Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6
- Visual Studio 2015 Preview Tools for Unity
- Unity 5.0 Release Candidate 2 (no splash screens) Unity Editor (64-bit) / Unity Editor (32-bit)

VS 2015 is currently in preview so you can get it for free.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:42:01 pm by headkaze »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »
maybe I am better off using Unity.

Just one other thing regarding Unity. For the best IDE / dev environment /debugger I recommend you use:

- Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6
- Visual Studio 2015 Preview Tools for Unity

VS 2015 is currently in preview you can get it for free.

I will download tonight. I have another (older) version of VS, but can't really tell it apart from Monodevelop... I know there's a lot of online hate for mono, but in my experience and limited programming ability it does alright.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2015, 05:56:42 pm »
I will download tonight. I have another (older) version of VS, but can't really tell it apart from Monodevelop... I know there's a lot of online hate for mono, but in my experience and limited programming ability it does alright.

VS is far better than MonoDevelop. Just the fact you can run and attach the debugger directly in VS makes it a far better option and since it's available for free there really is no excuse.

Visual Studio for Game Development: New Partnerships with Unity, Unreal Engine and Cocos2d. As you can see Microsoft is committing itself to VS / Unity integration so I don't see the point in continuing to use MonoDevelop unless you're on OSX. Also you will still be able to go back to Visual Studio Community once VS 2015 is officially released.

PS I added some links to my last post for a version of Unity that doesn't have splash screens.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #376 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
+1

I don't want to go on a pro Microsoft tie-raid, but there is a reason that even when their development suites used to cost $500+ people were still willing to pay that over the free alternatives.  Now that most M$ suites are free to use, it's really a no-brainer. 

It sucks that I missed this course btw....  I love doing programming courses.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2015, 12:06:04 pm »
Week 10 (Project Increment 4) is nice and short and easy - most of it was cutting/pasting what we did for the Teddy with the burger collisions (explosion etc) with spawning new Teddies which we've done before too.

The health, in the burger class was the new stuff from week 9 lectures but it was a simple implementation of it - I have only watched lecture 1 from week 9 thus far and could do it from that (with a guess about ensuring the health is from 0 to 100 only.

Seems next week is another rest/project increment week and then week 12 is the end, so I assume the exam? Nearly there then!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2015, 12:50:02 pm »
Week 10 (Project Increment 4) is nice and short and easy - most of it was cutting/pasting what we did for the Teddy with the burger collisions (explosion etc) with spawning new Teddies which we've done before too.

The health, in the burger class was the new stuff from week 9 lectures but it was a simple implementation of it - I have only watched lecture 1 from week 9 thus far and could do it from that (with a guess about ensuring the health is from 0 to 100 only.

Seems next week is another rest/project increment week and then week 12 is the end, so I assume the exam? Nearly there then!

Yep nearly finished -- I've only got 1 thing left to do in increment 5  which is change the input from mouse to keyboard controls and then the final when it gets released so pretty much this week is an off week as increment 4 is already submitted so definitely coasting downhill toward the finish at this point.  :applaud:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #379 on: April 28, 2015, 05:37:08 pm »
Hows everyone coming along on Increment 5?
Ive done some extra curricular work on mine (Thanks JDFan for doing the artwork for me, since I don't have a decent artwork program.)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2015, 04:51:00 am »
How do we access increment 5 (week 11?)? Is there a way access the weeks in advance?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2015, 11:44:36 am »
How do we access increment 5 (week 11?)? Is there a way access the weeks in advance?

Increment 5 PDF is posted on the website. There are two version, one using XACT the other not. Dr T highly suggests you follow the not XACT one.
As far as accessing future weeks, they are only available when Dr T posts them, but inc 5 is ready.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2015, 12:41:04 pm »
Dr. T also just posted saying he is currently uploading next weeks video lectures so they are going to be available a little early also since some people were asking about the sound lectures.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2015, 01:04:22 pm »

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2015, 07:25:15 am »
Thanks for that - I've done (or mostly done) increment 5. I've not got it moving diagonally and Space for fire doesn't work so well as the mouse in cooldown but it's mostly there. I'm sure I can sort that once I've seen the lectures and understand keyboard control from them.
[Think I prefer the game with mouse control but.... :-)]

Typical that I've realised you can see the projects ahead of time under required materials a week before the end of the course!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #385 on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:42 am »
Has anyone attempted the exam yet? I'm interested to know how much study/revision is needed before doing so.

Is it a multiple choice or written and is it a rehash of what we've now done in the projects many times or does it ask questions that need thinking about more than we've done thus far?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: May 11, 2015, 12:17:43 pm »
Has anyone attempted the exam yet? I'm interested to know how much study/revision is needed before doing so.

Is it a multiple choice or written and is it a rehash of what we've now done in the projects many times or does it ask questions that need thinking about more than we've done thus far?

Took it the other day -- read the questions carefully and you'll do fine - there are 22 multiple choice questions and the wording of some is fairly tricky -- ie. one question deals with INTEGER division and the results include the regular division answer with the decimal point ie. 2.5 so you need to remember in integer division the value is an int so 2 is the correct choice not 2.5 !

and several other similar questions that can be answered incorectly if not read carefully but overall fairly easy - I missed 6 since I was not really reading carefully since I already had over the 70% needed to pass ( figured even if I got 0 on the final and increment 5 I'd have 72 so wasn't really concerned with the score - so with missing 6 I'll wind up with between 88 and 94 depending on the results of increment 5 ) I just answered them quickly - think the entire test took about 5 minutes) but it allows up to an hour so just reread and think about your answers before submitting and you probably will miss fewer - Also some say the newest video contains some of the answers and helps prepare you for the type of questions he asks. ( I didn't watch it so not sure !)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:27:44 pm by JDFan »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #387 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:33 pm »
You can take up to 3 tries now, so JD, you might want to go back and try it again.
First attempt, I got 17 out of 22; 3 questions I missed by misunderstanding the questions.
I took it one more time and scored 21, so I am stopping there.
Just carefully read the questions, and yeah I missed the one about rounding the integer too, first time anyway.
An hour is way too much time, unless you look up all the answers on google or something.
I think it took me around 7 minutes first time, maybe 10 the second time. (Same questions, answer orders are shuffled though, and I double checked all the second time).

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #388 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:41 pm »
This was a good course. Thanks to eds1275 for suggesting it.
It was tough, and a few times I got out in the weeds, but I learned a lot about C#, and intend to modify the teddy bear game into something playable on the arcade.

There is a python class offered this fall, I may sign up for it. Too much other stuff going on right now.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2015, 07:25:01 am »
All done with the exam now. I got 16/22 (a pass) by blitzing through it (ignoring the advice above!) and then increased that to 20 and finally 21. The mouse question, 21, is what I got wrong 3 times! The others were all 1 of 2 so if I got them wrong the first time I sorted it then next.

It was quite a short, simple test after all that. I guess they can't do a lot more online than multiple choice.

Really enjoyed the course, thanks also to eds1275. Did you see it through yourself?

The course was really tough around week 4-6 but thankfully it eased after that. One week (9?) I was expecting a killer, from his warnings, but found the assignment really flowed that week and that is when I realised I'd cracked it.

I also intend to make the Game playable for an arcade. One of the appraisal ones I had was a galaga looking game with space backdrop etc. I'll certainly go back to mouse control (like centipede) over 4-way buttons too.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »
You can take up to 3 tries now, so JD, you might want to go back and try it again.
First attempt, I got 17 out of 22; 3 questions I missed by misunderstanding the questions.
I took it one more time and scored 21, so I am stopping there.
Just carefully read the questions, and yeah I missed the one about rounding the integer too, first time anyway.
An hour is way too much time, unless you look up all the answers on google or something.
I think it took me around 7 minutes first time, maybe 10 the second time. (Same questions, answer orders are shuffled though, and I double checked all the second time).

Went ahead and retook it and got 21 the second time (the one I missed was one of the 16 I had right the first time and just hit the wrong box  :dizzy:)  but not going to try the third time cause I'd probably get even more careless !

Was definitely a good class and learned quite a bit - was thinking about taking the python course that is coming up but not sure if time will permit - so might just start working through the Unity tutorials instead since I have it downloaded and installed.