Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ok, I broke down and ordered a new Pi  (Read 20522 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Ok, I broke down and ordered a new Pi
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:37 am »
I have my Pi2 hooked up to a PC monitor, via a cheap HDMI to DVI cable, it looks real good.
Also put PiPlay on a new micro sdcard and been playing around with it.
I like being able to put the roms on it from my desktop PC, via Ethernet cable.
Although haven't figured out yet how to transfer the snap images.
Also hooked AV to my TV to test the audio. It works but I had to turn the TV up pretty loud. Any suggestions on what i need to do to boost the audio output?

There's either a command you can use in Linux, or they recommend a USB sound card.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »
I picked mine up locally and so far am loving it.  I have been searching for a case for th eli that will hold a 2.5 inch hip, any suggestions?

Also, I will be getting a larger sd card, 32 go.  Anyone know how to transfer my currently configured emulation station 8 gig sd card to a new 32 so that I don't have to do all of the configuring again?

Thanks

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2015, 02:12:01 am »
I picked mine up locally and so far am loving it.  I have been searching for a case for th eli that will hold a 2.5 inch hip, any suggestions?

Also, I will be getting a larger sd card, 32 go.  Anyone know how to transfer my currently configured emulation station 8 gig sd card to a new 32 so that I don't have to do all of the configuring again?

Thanks

Here is how to clone your SD card.
http://computers.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-clone-raspberry-pi-sd-cards-using-the-command-line-in-os-x--mac-59911

I don't know what you mean by "a case for th eli that will hold a 2.5 inch hip," but here is a cool NES case I wanted to share any way.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:449877

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »
Thats a neat case! If only I had a 3d printer!

jonnylbluejeans

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 09:04:28 pm
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 10:23:11 am »
I have a MAME4ALL setup using a B+, and am about to start working on one for the Pi2.  Polling the GPIO pins constantly will eat CPU cycles needed by the emulator (even on the ramped up Pi2), so using something like the 2 Player Xin Mo USB joystick encoder is more favorable.  My question is, is there a better option than using the usb encoder with wires soldered to a JB-3 JAMMA fingerboard for a clean connection to a FULL JAMMA harness (like the Game Elf aka buttons 1-6 on the JAMMA harness)?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 12:16:50 pm »
I have a MAME4ALL setup using a B+, and am about to start working on one for the Pi2.  Polling the GPIO pins constantly will eat CPU cycles needed by the emulator (even on the ramped up Pi2), so using something like the 2 Player Xin Mo USB joystick encoder is more favorable.  My question is, is there a better option than using the usb encoder with wires soldered to a JB-3 JAMMA fingerboard for a clean connection to a FULL JAMMA harness (like the Game Elf aka buttons 1-6 on the JAMMA harness)?

That's one of those kinda-sorta-myths about the RPI.
Everything uses cpu cycles but i've yet to see where using the GPIO vs USB for controls is better or worse and considering the multi-page threads concerning using a GPIO for control on the RPI forums I have hard time believing this will affect game play at all.

jonnylbluejeans

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 09:04:28 pm
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »

Everything uses cpu cycles but i've yet to see where using the GPIO vs USB for controls is better or worse and considering the multi-page threads concerning using a GPIO for control on the RPI forums I have hard time believing this will affect game play at all.
That's possible.  OK, going the GPIO route...  GPIO header pins --> 40 pin IDE cable (with other end cut/stripped) --> JB-3 Fingerboard --> JAMMA harness.  Is there a better way?  (PiJAMMA is not an option)

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »

That's possible.  OK, going the GPIO route...  GPIO header pins --> 40 pin IDE cable (with other end cut/stripped) --> JB-3 Fingerboard --> JAMMA harness.  Is there a better way?  (PiJAMMA is not an option)

"better" depends on what's easier for you. :)
I was just pointing out the GPIO route won't cause performance issues over the USB route.

The one thing about mame4all_pi is you can't have a USB joystick and a mouse (trackball) plugged in at the same time so I opted for the GPIO route.
I picked up a header extender & a soldered everything on.
Basically followed the guide on Adafruits website along with the app they had.

Now i'm switching to the RPI2 and probably going with a Kade and using my rpi1 for something else.