Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First build - Vewlix W - Done!  (Read 18133 times)

coyo5050

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2023, 07:25:03 pm
  • Vewlix W
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143877.0.html
First build - Vewlix W - Done!
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:22 pm »
I've been reading and researching this forum for a long time and a couple weeks ago I started my first project.

I really like the look of the Vewlix style and wanted something slimmer and sit down style. This is going to be a 1 player cabinet with an ASUS 23" monitor.

I took my inspiration from SpaceHedgeHog's Vewlix. Made several changes, most obvious that since I am in the US converting to inches. Here are some pics from the beginning of my project getting the majority of the pieces cut. I used 3/4 MDF for most of it, with some 1/2 and 1/4 in some areas. The feet are 2x4's that I cut to size and the trim on the inside of the uprights is a 1x2 that I cut to size. A table saw and miter saw made this a lot easier. I have definitely made some mistakes and learned from them if I ever do another one. In my building process I have also figured out several things that were not mistakes but that I would do differently regarding the base and the painting.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:08:02 am by coyo5050 »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
Re: First build - Vewlix slim style
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:06:08 pm »
Some more progress pics.

Used Bondo to hide the seams between two MDF boards.

The miter saw and table saw were very helpful in making the control panel. 45 degree cuts on the table saw and all of the angle cuts with the miter saw.

Used 1/2 MDF with a 5mm underlayment that I found at the big box hardware store, .80mm plex to finish it off. The artwork for the CP is temporary, I dont like the look and its a couple pieces of paper so you can see the seams. Will order 1 piece when I finalize the artwork. Used an Ipac2, Sanwa stick and buttons. I will be playing mostly fighters with a various mix of other games through MAME. I decided on 3 extra buttons but am rethinking how to assign them. I am open to suggestions.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »
These are the colors I decided on. Semi-gloss black and silver metallic from Rustoleum. I believe from researching this is a color combination you would actually find. I am stuck with rattle cans. Which reminds me doing this in the winter in NY is bad timing. I was worried the silver metallic would be to sparkly but after testing it out it is a nice silver color. I finished everything off with clear coat enamel. I was going to go with a nice smooth mirror like polished finish for the black but decided for my first time to go with the added durability of the clear coat. (I also started of with satin black paint so after sanding and polishing the black was uneven looking, one of my mistakes). I really like the cobolt blue but went silver. I am wondering if there is a way I can use that color somewhere on the cabinet for finishing touches/artwork....

After spending forever on ways to seal MDF I decided to go with Zinsser B-I-N. The stuff works great, only needs to coats, sands easy. Then used filler primer before the color paint.

One of my mistakes was painting where I need to glue, so I had to sand off the paint on the sides of the box part that you can see in the pic.

I used magnetic latches you would find on kitchen cabinets to keep the top part of the CP attached. It holds really strong but I can still remove it to get to the electronics. The actual section with the stick/buttons fits in real tight but I am wonder if there is anything else I should do to further secure it? The CP will be attached to the cabinet with 4 x 5/16 bolts. I believe this should be pretty secure. I want the CP to be relatively modular if I was to change something out.

These pictures represent where I am at now. Right now I am stuck on how to mount the 23" LCD monitor. I was thinking some 2x2 attached to the sides and screws into the board holding the monitor. I am not sure if this the most secure way of doing it with the weight all on the side pieces, plus I cant glue it if I ever want to remove it (in case the monitor ever fails). I am open to suggestions as to how others have done it?

What does everyone usually do as far as finishing the parts you can not see? Do you prime paint, leave be, something else? I primed and painted the bottom mainly to seal the MDF the insides I have done nothing with.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:34:32 pm by coyo5050 »

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:51 pm »
Looks like a pretty slick design and well executed. First arcade build but there must be some other similar activities in your past.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »
This is looking really nice! I can't recall whether I posted a picture on how to mount the monitor but I just made a backing board, mounted the monitor to that and screwed it into place. This adds extra stability to the frame as well:

I'd be horrified with the wavy cut on the back of the arched section these days ...
Click a pic for a video tour 

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 07:35:31 pm »
Looking grea .
I do enjoy a nicely executed Vewlix
Great work

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:30:48 pm »
Thanks for the compliments! Got a lot of work done today. Figured out my monitor situation. Mounted a 1x6 to the back and split some 2x4's which are screwed in to the back board as well as the sides. In addition they are also supported by the shelf below. More painting to do and waiting on some speaker grilles. I also started work on the back. Going to use 1/8 hardboard kind of like how IKEA does with their furniture.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
I was holding back but I'm gonna say it...

That control panel is freakin' sexy

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:55 pm »
I was holding back but I'm gonna say it...

That control panel is freakin' sexy

You like it? I was actually thinking about changing the buttons to smoke/grey with a smoke bubbletop on the joystick. The artwork is a very light gray so I have an alternate version with the stripes a much darker grey with the middle line of each 3 stripes still the light gray. I'll upload a pic.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:47 pm »
The lightest color gray one is the one printed out currently. Here are 3 other versions that I am trying to decide between as my final print. I welcome opinions as well as if I should change the button color?!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:36:29 pm »
personally i like it as is, buttons and all

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:09 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 03:33:00 am »
I agree, the lightest color makes it pop more.

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:25:50 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:50 pm »
I agree, the lightest color makes it pop more.

+1

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 12:34:12 pm »
+2

I would have said something a little more subdued if the sides had been a different colour but I feel the lightest one integrates with the rest of the cab better. Keep the buttons you have also.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Keeping it like it is, is the cheapest and easiest way haha  :) I have a couple friend obsessed with golf games so might order trackball, buttons, etc to swapout and try with different colors, maybe light up buttons. 

What does everyone do as far as power on/off? Do you open or go inside the cabinet to press power buttons, leave in sleep modes, or does anyone have a more elegant solution? I prefer not to leave everything on all the time and would like to figure out a solution I could easy access hidden inside the CP. My speakers have a wired remote that has power and headphone control that I will hide in the CP (not power though). I might take it apart to see if I can wire something nice looking semi hidden on the backside of the CP (drill hole hot glue a headphone connector, maybe I can wire up a spinner for the volume).

I received my LED lighting for the marquee. It has a remote and I can change colors. I also ordered some smoke plexi for the monitor to see if I like it better than clear and some blue plexi to try out for the marquee and CP and use the blue metallic paint for artwork to tie it in. I saw some people do it with blues and reds and kind of liked it.

Last question for now. I have a 2.1 speaker set up but wondering if I should put grills on the top (without speakers) so I have 4 total for cosmetics or just do it with the 2 on the bottom?

Thanks!

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 02:24:12 pm
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:00 pm »
You are doing a fantastic job for your first build! I am very partial to the Vewlix style cabinet's appearance, I just prefer my cabinets to be the standing variety.

I would also stick to the overlay you already have. The contrast really pops and that control panel looks fantastic.

Regarding the power- this cat can be skinned a few different ways:

One possibility is to get one of the smart powerstrips like the Belkin Conserve line (some even have a remote). Plug your PC into the master socket and that way when you shut down your PC, you shut down the entire unit. You could even run the power switch from your motherboard to an external switch to make it easier.

A second option would be to have an external switch which controls the power. Flipping the switch would cut the power to the whole unit. With this option you just have to make sure your PC is set to auto start on restored power (usually a BIOS setting).

As you can probably tell, I am a fan of having the switches on the outside for ease of access...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:04:57 pm by ZexisStryfe »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »
Found some buttons like these with the option to light or not light up depending on wires I connect. I will use this and wire it to the computer MB. I am wondering if I can also bypass the power button on the monitor and attach one of these also. The monitor will be the most annoying to turn on/off. Maybe even go crazy and try and do speakers too.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 04:23:42 pm »
Found some buttons like these with the option to light or not light up depending on wires I connect. I will use this and wire it to the computer MB. I am wondering if I can also bypass the power button on the monitor and attach one of these also. The monitor will be the most annoying to turn on/off. Maybe even go crazy and try and do speakers too.

MAny users use a smart strip for that -- that way the PC system controls all of the other pieces ( PC power is plugged in as the main control and when it is turned on all other parts are powered on and when shut off all other parts shut down.

In fact there is a thread with a good sale on a Monster Smart strip currently for about $10 -- http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143842.0.html

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:25 pm »
+1 on the smart switch.
For my cab I installed an outlet inside the cabinet. Which has a heavy duty power cord to plug into the wall outlet.
I have a Belkin smart strip plugged into the cabs outlet. My computer is the master switch device and then my monitor, speakers, marquee light, etc. all plug into the controlled outlets.
I have a master power switch at the top back of my cab to kill power to the cabs outlet because I have hear stories of smart strips wigging out so I like to have power fully killed when not in use.

I currently reach in through the coin door to hit the pc power button for startup but will be cutting in a separate power button.

Does your monitor start up automatically when power is resumed or do you have to hit power button everytime

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:22 pm »
I have to hit power every time for the monitor unless there is a setting i can change. I did order that smartstrip linked above to try out.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:41:33 pm »
 :applaud:
Looking great so far. Got a link for those buttons?

:cheers:

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:58 pm »
Found them on ebay. Here is the item number 301272704313. Mobile app doesnt show a link i can paste

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »
Nothing picture worth but I've gotten more stuff done. Been painting the panels around the display and installing the LED lighting. Had to paint a border on the plexi since I miscalculated the monitor size by 1/2 inch. Cut some panels for the back. Finalized the CP graphics using what I have now and just applying a silver gradient layer keeping the lighter color though. Now can design marquee art, side panel art. Other than that waiting on some parts to come in and need to figure out a name!

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 04:19:57 pm »
Thinking I will stay with a classic Vewlix design for the marquee. Different models seem to be designated with 1 or 2 letters such as VS so I though I would go with Vewlix W (my initial) as a name for my cab.

Here are what I am thinking as my final artwork for the CP and marquee. Same colors as already on the CP but with the metallic gradient.

Thoughts welcome.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
Got the painting done for the front panels and the front trim so I was able to assemble it. Starting cutting the pieces to cover the back of the cabinet. My switch and greenpower power strip arrived so I can get that done.

The switch I bought is called a "vandal switch" or a" bulgin vandal switch" if anyone is curious. The one I bought is black and has a ring that glows white when powered on. I am not sure where I want to mount it yet. Once the hole is drilled I have to commit so I am procrastinating. My thoughts are on the top black piece of the CP, on the backside of the CP, on the bottom right under the monitor or around the back? Where have you guys mounted yours?

Here are some updated pics. The marquee is just the clear plexi and I am mounting the LED lights on the wood back panel behind it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:42:31 pm by coyo5050 »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 06:19:16 am »
It's looking really good. CP and marquee artwork suit the design/colours. Re the speaker grilles, I would go for 4 if you're still considering that  :cheers:

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »
It's looking really good. CP and marquee artwork suit the design/colours. Re the speaker grilles, I would go for 4 if you're still considering that  :cheers:

I prefer the 4 speakers grills. Just near impossible for find what I am looking for since I am limited in size to 4 inches (100mm) on the space I have above the monitor. Found something to order from China but they dont look nearly as nice as the ones you have. Yours are the size and style I am looking for but they are UK and I think also discontinued.

Here is basically the only thing I could find to order:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:05:41 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:47 pm »
The grill pictured looks like the ones I got for my old MAME cabinet. I bought mine at a second hand store/yard sale. :cheers:

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 01:55:19 pm »
The grill pictured looks like the ones I got for my old MAME cabinet. I bought mine at a second hand store/yard sale. :cheers:

Is it easy to see through the mesh part? I will have computer speakers on the bottom and the top will be fake/just for looks.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »
These are the ones I have:

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/speaker-building/grill/monacor-sg-75-decorative-speaker-851033.html

The perforations are relatively small so I don't think it will look odd if there's nothing behind them (as in the above picture).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:49:40 pm by SpaceHedgehog »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 04:42:37 pm »

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/speaker-building/grill/monacor-sg-75-decorative-speaker-851033.html

The perforations are relatively small so I don't think it will look odd if there's nothing behind them (as in the above picture).

108 pounds to ship to USA...um thats crazy

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:10:36 pm by rablack97 »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »
That cab looks just as good from the back as it does from the front.
This looking great.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 04:31:49 am »

It is crazy! RS components (rs-online.com) sell them also from what I can see and are international so may be available. I just keep getting redirected to the UK site so can't check for sure unfortunately.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 02:20:42 pm »

It is crazy! RS components (rs-online.com) sell them also from what I can see and are international so may be available. I just keep getting redirected to the UK site so can't check for sure unfortunately.

They are actually reasonable cost for shipping 15 pounds. I will have to think on it and decide how much more I like them compared to what I ordered. Thanks for the link!

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:38:12 pm by coyo5050 »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 07:06:09 pm »
Went to Fedex office to print out the marquee and for the CP. This isnt the final material, I just wanted to see how it looked printed and check to see it all fits before I spend money on the good stuff. Did change out the CP artwork in this print yet. Lady was insistent I got matte print which seems to be nothing more than color laser on slightly thicker regular paper. I wanted to go glossy for my test print. Will probably get this done on backlit material.

Got all electronics connected and working properly. Got Hyperspin set up for MAME and SNES for now. Program seems a little over-engineered but maybe with more familiarity I will appreciate the 1,000 options.

The other picture is of my belgin vandal switch momentary style. Took awhile to strip and connect wire to make it all the proper length. Switch works great just have to decide where to mount it. For those interested on how to connect it you do this:

Connect one wire from the Power SW cable to NO1 (normal open)(if you connect to NC1, normal close, the power only goes on momentary and the computer will turn on for a few secs and then turn right back off) and the other to C1 (common) and then connect the other end to computer motherboard in proper spot. Its a two wire connector but doesnt matter which wire goes to which connector as long as you have one wire going to each. Then connect power LED+ to terminal labeled + and power led- to terminal labeled - and plug those in to the proper spots on the motherboard. Make sure you connect plus to plus and neg to neg, very important.

To Do:

- print artwork on proper material for marquee and CP then install.
- finish side cabinet artwork/painting.
- Cut hole and matching plexi on top of the CP. Maybe add some other design elements like fake coin slot and those box-like things.
- Mount Belgin vandal switch.
- clean up electronic mess inside cabinet.
- finish setting up software.
- finish cutting and installing panels on back of cabinet.
- holes cut but need to attach leveling feet.
- get speaker grills, cut holes and attach.
- permanently install LED lighting for marquee and CP.

Think thats it, almost done!

Thanks for everyone's help on the forum here!!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:07:41 pm by coyo5050 »

Electronuclear

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2017, 10:32:29 pm
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »

Looking great.  I will be following your post closley as I am also doing a Vewlix style cab.  I do have a couple of questions:

Where did you get your LED lighting for your marquee?

Do you have your CP hinged on anything or is it only held down by magnets?

Thanks.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 02:37:44 am »

Looking great.  I will be following your post closley as I am also doing a Vewlix style cab.  I do have a couple of questions:

Where did you get your LED lighting for your marquee?

Do you have your CP hinged on anything or is it only held down by magnets?

Thanks.

Lighting is LED string light I got from Amazon.  You can also easily find it on ebay though almost everything seems to be shipping from China (so long ship times).  5050 300 LED RGB or something like that. There are a lot of other options and what I got is overkill for a cab but I actually got it for some under counter lighting and thought I might as well test it out. Have something similar on order to use for the cab, step down in LED power power though.

The actual full CP is attached to the rest of the cab with four 3/8 bolts with 1 1/2 diameter washers. It's not going anywhere! The top part is attached with the two magnets so I can get inside easy. The part of the CP that the buttons and stick is installed in to is such a tight fit that I have nothing else holding it down.

Make sure you also check out SpaceHedgehog's build on the forum here. He must be famous since if you type Vewlix into google its some of the first links that come up, pretty impressive ranking  :)

If your making a Vewlix like mine I'll watch your build thread if you have questions. I learned a lot from my mistakes that looking back I would change on my build.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:41:01 am by coyo5050 »

Billabong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2016, 09:05:48 am
  • Loosing Flynn...
    • Pure arcade Xstikcy
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:43 am »
Nice job! I like the color scheme.

As a fellow NY'er I will agree this is a bad time of year for painting. :)
"So, you took apart a joystick to make...another joystick?"

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:13 pm »
Ive got some plexi I need to cut. Going to try a blue for the marquee and control panel to see how it looks and some smoked to cut to put in front of the monitor to see if I like it better. Trouble is the table saw is in the garage and it's too damn cold I just dont want to go out there!

Power switch installed works awesome. Installed the LED lighting.

Fedex office large format printer is broken so I couldnt get a glossy print for my CP and Marquee, going to have to find another local place or send it out to be shipped.

Speaker covers finally shipped but will be a couple weeks from China.

Kind of stuck in a standstill for awhile waiting for stuff to come in so just taking care of the software side of things. Need to find some good Jukebox software.

Electronuclear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:40 pm »
I feel your pain with the shipping stuff, it seems that no matter how much planning I do, there's always something else that needs to be shipped.   :cry:

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 10:48:07 pm »
Thought of something else to add to my control panel. Most Vewlix I see have that little square thing at the back of the CP area which you can see in the pic below. I have no idea what that actually is since I have never seen a real Vewlix. I am going to make that square, route out the inside a bit and put it on a hinge and mount it to my CP to look like in the pic. When I lift it up there will be 3 more buttons which will be used for admin functions / shift button for my ipac. Would also like to find a small dial and wire it up to control the sound and then maybe just do 2 buttons. Stealthy

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:03 am »
I'd be really interested to see how you get on with the 'boxes'. I gave it a go but wasn't happy with the way it turned out unfortunately.

Also had a go at the 100 yen sticker if you're interested:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
Thought of something else to add to my control panel. Most Vewlix I see have that little square thing at the back of the CP area which you can see in the pic below. I have no idea what that actually is since I have never seen a real Vewlix. I am going to make that square, route out the inside a bit and put it on a hinge and mount it to my CP to look like in the pic. When I lift it up there will be 3 more buttons which will be used for admin functions / shift button for my ipac. Would also like to find a small dial and wire it up to control the sound and then maybe just do 2 buttons. Stealthy

Looks like a cardreader and module?  :dunno
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:40:51 pm
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
VERY Nice indeed  :applaud: ;D

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 10:37:50 pm »
Cut a couple test pieces. Trying to decide between routing the block things inside or lowering the area where the buttons are mounted. Mainly stuck on how to hinge it.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:19 pm »
I like light gun games but the options on LCD is limited. Seems the only place to find a full Aimtrak gun is ebay plus it isnt cheap. Decided to bring out by Sony 32" CRT TV and put it next to where the arcade cabinet is going. Now I can use my Guncon powered by the arcade to the Sony.  Plus I can hook up some other old game systems. It's workable. Had to build a stand quick for the beast. It's all just cheap wood.  I'll sand, route and stain it when the weather is better so hopefully it will look half decent after that.

With that out of the way got some work done on the CP idea. Routed out the area for the hinges so they are not exposed in the back. Just need to attach the hinges and see if it really works. If it does, then I will paint it. Used half inch (12mm) to keep it a lower profile. SpaceHedgehog, did you use 18mm for your pieces?  Also need to cut out the area for the plexi-glass, used a piece of paper for perspective in the one pic.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:09:38 pm by coyo5050 »

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 07:44:41 am »
Yes, I used 18 mm for the ones I made. Nice going on the boxes and hinges.  It's looking sweet  :cheers:

Electronuclear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
Nice work.  Like how you incorporated that box into the admin buttons.  Looks like it is coming along well. 

How did you mount your CP, would you mind posting some photos?  (Haven't seen a lot online of how this is done exactly on the vewlix styles).  I have some ideas for hinges.

BTW, good call on mounting the TV with some extra support, I think in the long run you'll be thankful you did.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:28 am »
If you look at the pics in this post you should be able to see that I am using 4 bolts to attach the CP to the rest of the cabinet. They are 5/8 inch bolts with 1.5 in washers on both sides. If you are referring to the part of the CP where the buttons, plexi, artwork is I am not using anything to hold that down. It is such a tight fit it doesnt want to come out.

*Edit* I found a better pic than the one in a previous post. This should be clearer to see. Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:12:31 pm by coyo5050 »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »
I've been still working on this. Painting takes awhile and still waiting on some parts. Here is the CP with the updated design changes with the hidden admin buttons and cutout for plexi insert. The artwork is not complete. I ordered some vinyl samples and have an idea on how I want to use that material instead.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
Re: First build - "Vewlix W" (almost done, asking opinions on artwork)
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 03:42:31 pm »
I have been going back and forth on many versions of artwork for the marquee and the CP. I originally had everything settle with clear plexi and a silver/black classic style.

Then I picked up some blue plexi and wanted to do something a little different, reminiscent of the SF vewlix cabs with their red. Here are some pics with the new marquee and CP artwork which is more minimal. I dont know if it looks too minimal? I have redesigned things so much by now that I have confused myself. I would love some opinions. Also when the marquee lights up the blue turns very light blue (background of the artwork is white) so I would probably have to get a reprint with a blue background. I will be doing graphics on the side the black on back side pieces a blue stripe and chrome side pieces like the 6th pic. See other pics for details.

Still need to do side art, finish CP sticker (just a square sitting there to get an idea), need to attach black trim pieces around monitor and MQ.

Speaker grills attached. Trying to decide if I should use black cloth on grill to hide speakers or print out pics of speakers to put in the top grills? (they look obviously different)

Thanks!

Blue plexi, good bad?
Artwork for blue, good bad?
Original silver/black artwork best?

1st pic - original artwork (top half marquee / bottom half CP)
2nd pic - Blue plexi, lights off
3rd pic - lights on (marquee seems too light blue in color with lights on prob cause of white background)
4th pic - blue CP artwork
5th pic - blue marquee artwork.
6th pic - cabinet idea I was going for with different colors silver/blue
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:42:33 pm by coyo5050 »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:09 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »
Original silver/black artwork best?

Original silver/black artwork best.
To me, that blue just looks out of place. The silver ties the colors of the control panel to that of the sides, giving it a consistent look. To that end, the marquee be done in the same style.
Black/silver is a classy combination that shouldn't be convoluted with additional colors.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:37 pm »
Ill be updating with more pics soon. Ive been working on thus but repainting things has taken some time plus ive added several things such as a second small lcd screen and made it switchable from pc to real arcade hardware. Plus started a new job so time has been limited.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
Re: First build - "Vewlix W" (almost done)
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2015, 05:14:38 pm »
I've done a lot more work on this over the past 2 months, just have not had a lot of time to post updates. Also been distracted with a lot of other stuff such as building a jamma test rig for my new arcade hardware. Here are some new pics.

Decided to go back to a slightly modified version of the original silver artwork. Added a 7" LCD as a secondary display. Changed buttons to sanwa clear/white and added LED lighting with paradise pele rings and a pacled64 controller. Got artwork started for the lighted part of CP which will be show button configs. Updating the computer now with a SSD, an i7 and an AMD r9 280x. Almost 100% done with everything.

To Do:
Program the button leds
Setup the secondary LCD.
Attach coin slot and sticker to CP.
Attach the black strips that cover the gaps above/below monitor section and marquee.
Back panels are done, just need to attach them.
Side "art".

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:22:01 pm by coyo5050 »

Electronuclear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 09:33:30 pm »
Nice man, looking really good.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:38 am »
I've still been working on this, just distracted by many other projects, one of which I posted about. I finished making the back side of the cabinet.
The LED button lighting is on random in the pics. Other than the LED and second monitor programming, really just have to do the vinyl decal work for the sides and I am done!

Here are some updated pics.

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Vewlix W
Re: First build - Vewlix W - Done!
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2017, 02:09:10 am »
Finished this awhile ago, need to upload some new pics.