Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which formica laminate?  (Read 4542 times)

Homietheclown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 10:28:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Which formica laminate?
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:01:34 am »
Hey everyone,

It seems that many people use Formica as their laminate. But which type? Where do you buy it at? I'd like very specific answers please.

I've seen some say they get theirs at HD or Lowes while others say that its not a good idea to get it there. Other say they get it Formica but where?  Off of the website www.formica.com?  I live in the US if it matters.

If so. Which kind. Gloss or Matte?  I don't care which; I just want to get the right kind that most everyone uses. Like everyone else, I plan to put art on it some day.

P.S.  this stuff is expensive@ $45 dollars for a 4x8 sheet?  SO I'm looking to spend about 150 in laminate? Is there something I should be using instead of Formica? Whats the best way to get a good price on it?

As always. Thank you for your time. :applaud:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:11:15 am by Homietheclown »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Which formica laminate?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:19:02 am »
     You can special order it from your local hardware store.... They should have color chips for you to choose from.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:29 am »
 Thinner laminate is rated for "vertical" use and thicker laminate is rated for "horizontal"---think counter top.  I've used both and found the "vertical" easier to work with.  I believe it is a little cheaper as well.

If you are doing a whole cabinet with it you might find a better deal on eBay.  For my first cabinet I was able to pick-up 5 sheets of black "vertical" laminate for around $175.  Most online laminate stores will also send you sample chips free if you can't find a local sample you like.  I ordered my last sheet at Home Depot and would likely go that route again if I only needed one sheet.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:15 pm »
What color do you want?

Home Depot does not carry any laminate in stock, you have to order it.

Lowe's does carry the "THIN" or "VERTICAL" 4 x 8 sheets in stock, but Matte White is the only color that is suitable for an arcade cabinet (they don't have black or any other solid colors in stock)  My local Lowe's charged $42 dollars a sheet and I needed three sheets to do my cab, including the kickplate, sides, and speaker panel.

You will also need Contact Cement (at least two of the smaller cans $12 a piece) and you'll need a router and a flush trim bit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:46:21 pm by harveybirdman »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »
Some of the Home Depots do carry some in stock, including black and I believe white was there as well (I bought black so didn't pay a lot of attention to other colors).
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »
    That's good stuff to practice with (if its your fist time) But normally its all scratched up and a bit nasty. The special order is the best way to get it for color/quality.... BTW you may want to pick up a heatgun, and roller too.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
Agree.  Definitely not the stuff to make something nice out of like kitchen counters, but for covering the sides of cabs that get covered with art it should work fine, or a smooth top on my table saw outfeed and side tables it works great.  Mine was in great shape, and it helped that I could pick which piece I wanted from the pile compared to a special order that I've gotten that had to be sent back because it was beat up.  :badmood:
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Homietheclown

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:39:52 pm »
What color do you want?

Lowe's does carry the "THIN" or "VERTICAL" 4 x 8 sheets in stock, but Matte White is the only color that is suitable for an arcade cabinet (they don't have black or any other solid colors in stock)  My local Lowe's charged $42 dollars a sheet and I needed three sheets to do my cab, including the kickplate, sides, and speaker panel.

You will also need Contact Cement (at least two of the smaller cans $12 a piece) and you'll need a router and a flush trim bit.

I just checked my local Lowe's today and learned that it would cost $75 per 4x8 sheet. If I am doing the inside and outside of my cabinet I will need 4-5 sheets. so $375? 

That seems crazy expensive. The Formica I was looking at was black Matte number 909.  I wish I could get the price you were quoted even though it was for white. I don't understand why black would be so much more expensive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:43:16 pm by Homietheclown »

Karpro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2015, 09:49:37 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »
Home Depot lists it online for about $42 per sheet. Lowes should price match for you.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »
What color do you want?

I just checked my local Lowe's today and learned that it would cost $75 per 4x8 sheet. If I am doing the inside and outside of my cabinet I will need 4-5 sheets. so $375? 

That seems crazy expensive. The Formica I was looking at was black Matte number 909.  I wish I could get the price you were quoted even though it was for white. I don't understand why black would be so much more expensive.

$75?  maybe for the faux marble ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, but the plain Jane white should only be around forty... hit them with their own website bro...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_446590-76323-949-58-48X96-900_4294735648__?productId=4321914&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Also why are you doing the inside?  is there some sweet functionality going on in there that you want to display to the community?  I'd just paint it or leave it....

If you want Black then I bet you can source it elsewhere for cheaper... ask around Borg said he got black at HD...

You might find other local sources as well, especially if you have a cabinet wholesaler in your neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:30:01 pm by harveybirdman »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »
I laminated the inside of my Tron cabinet with a full sheet.  If I laminate again on a cabinet I'm going to try the method Eypx did with his cabinet where he just used scrap pieces on the inside.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,96465.msg1026504.html#msg1026504

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:56:42 pm »
A 4x8 sheet of matte black vertical (thin) laminate will always run about $50 USD.  Don't spend more.

I laminated the inside of my cab (for science), and I only need 3 sheets total (I made a slim, but it was still pretty wide).  Not sure you would need 4, especially if you aren't going to laminate the entire interior.

If you want a "smooth" option at a reasonable price - take a look at melamine board.  Waaaaaaaaay cheaper than MDF + Laminate and does roughly the same thing.  If you really think your cab is going to take extreme abuse (and thus really need the laminate), consider the melamine...

:soapbox:

wp34

• Offline Offline

Homietheclown

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 09:09:42 pm »
Here is a 5-sheet lot on eBay for $184 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORMICA-PLASTIC-LAMINATE-BLACK-4-X-8-SHEETS-5-TOTAL-/221614823806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339945d97e

I saw that but it was .7 mm thick. Too thin for me. I ended up buying some black laminate from HD. The brand is Wilsonart. 4x8 feet for $42. It is .039 inches (.99mm). Now I gotta find some laminate that will fit this laminate on both sides of 5/8 piece of mdf. Decision decisions :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:17:51 pm by Homietheclown »

lamprey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »
I saw that but it was .7 mm thick. Too think for me. I ended up buying some black laminate from HD. The brand is Wilsonart. 4x8 feet for $42. It is .039 inches (.99mm).
.7mm was too thick so you bought .99 mm? EDIT: I guess you meant thin.. I read thick.

Now I gotta find some laminate that will fit this laminate on both sides of 5/8 piece of mdf. Decision decisions :)
Not sure I follow, but I wish you luck! :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:36:53 pm by lamprey »

Homietheclown

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 11:26:33 pm »
Lamprey,

Heh. Yeah I meant to say thin. About my decisions part. I was trying to figure out what size t-molding to buy. I've been learning that building a cab is very complicated. You have to think of everything. That's nearly impossible so chances are, I will make quite a few mistakes lol.

Anyways about the laminate. The stuff that I have was at HD. Wilsonart Black Laminate.  .039 inches so that's .9906 mm
So for t-molding purposes. I had to order some 18mm t-molding.  5/8 MDF (15.875 mm + both sides of wood laminates (1.9812 = 17.8562 mm)

I'll have a little overhand which I heard is easy to remove. Need some kind of tool.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 12:03:37 am »
      I use a large flat file and kinda take it down with a  shallow bevel,... If its mated to a painted surface cover the paint with painters tape.