Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Drawing an outline around control buttons  (Read 3009 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Drawing an outline around control buttons
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:01 am »
Hi Folks.

I'm fiddling with Adobe Photoshop, and have a Control Panel layout sample, which I want to draw an outline around the player buttons. I'm not sure how to do that....can someone please give me some guidance on how I can do this?

I'm pasting a hand drawn example here.  I just want to have nice curved lines (outline) around the outer perimeter of the buttons, and not have the space filled in with any color.

Thanks!

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re: Drawing an outline around control buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
The outline is just larger circles originating from the same center points.  Or if you could just draw arcs until they touch, but don't intersect.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:30:08 am »
For the pic you posted and assuming you are using Photoshop (process would be similar in other programs but might require different keystrokes.

1st option (easiest) -- Use the Magic Wand Tool and select the white circle that is one of the buttons - This will place a round circle around the outer edge of the button - then use Select - Modify - Expand to enlarge the circle half the amount you want your circle - (This will enlarge the selection circle so you do not cover the button white portion in the next step) (ie if wanting a 20 pixel border around the button expand 10 pixels) - Then use the same modifier except use Border (Select-Modify-Border) and enter 20 pixels (or how ever thick you wanted the circle) -- This will make a selection area that is 20 pixels wide with the center touching the original white button area - Use the fill bucket or paint brush tool to fill in the area with the desired color (repeat for the other buttons ( or Copy Paste that one and place around other buttons )

THis is probably the easiest method but the problem is PS is not the best at expanding and bordering circular areas so it may not create a perfect circle ( depending on the original shape of the button space )

2. A bit more involved but still fairly easy alternative -- If using a 300DPI image for the drawing ( best for good printing results ) and using normal buttons (1 1/8" diameter) - Use the Paintbrush tool and change the brush size to the dimensions of the outer edge of the circle you want ( ie. if wanting a 1 3/8" circle or 1/4" circle around the 1 1/8" button hole - set the brush size to 413 pixels (1 3/8" = 1.375" = 413 (300 pixels = 1 inch in a 300 DPI image ) - Place the brush where desired and left click to place a 1 1/4" circle in the desired color - Now change the brush to 338 pixels (1 1/8") and draw the inner button size circle in the center of the 1 3/8" circle in the color you want the button hole. ( just be carefull with placement to get it centered ) Now copy/paste that button hole with outline for the other button holes so that all are identical.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much !

Here's a quick jpg of the result using blue for the button hole with a 1/4" red outline around it !

EDIT : After rereading your post It seems you just want to draw the button hole circle -- In which case just use the paint brush tool with a 338 Pixel circular brush (1 1/8" if using 300DPI) - Place where you want the button hole and click -- You have a nice round circle the size of the button hole !  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:40:36 am by JDFan »

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:27 am »
Thanks All! :)  It's given me some ideas.

JDFan:  Appreciate it.

Here's another pic that shows what I want to achieve....

The white outline around the buttons.

Thanks again.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:57 am »
Thanks All! :)  It's given me some ideas.

JDFan:  Appreciate it.

Here's another pic that shows what I want to achieve....

The white outline around the buttons.

Thanks again.

For that just make the paintbrush the size you want the outline and on a layer place the outer circles around each button then on another layer above the white change the size of the brush to match the black areas and again draw the circles around the buttons The circles will overlap each other resulting in that sort of design look.

The pic shown is 7 large white circles with 7 slightly smaller black circles with 7 button hole sizes for the buttons - So use 3 layers first layer is using a brush size of 338 pixels for the button holes - Place them where desired for button spacing. 2nd layer adjust the brush size to create the black circles ( perhaps 1/2 inch (338 +150 pixel = 488 pixel) larger brush (adjust as needed ) - Create the 7 circles around the buttons using the center of each button on the first layer as the center of the black larger circle so that they overlap creating the black area -- then 3rd layer is even larger (1/8" +/-  larger brush (38 pixels larger than 488 would be 526 pixel brush) - create 7 overlapping circles that overlap using the center of the 1st layer button holes) -- Now place layer 3 on bottom - layer 2 in middle and layer 3 on top so that the bootom largest 7 circles is the base with the 7 black circles above them and the 7 button holes on top and it should create that look (adjust the sizes of the 7 circles as needed to make them larger/smaller but should get you started.

Quick reproduction using sizes mentioned above ( note : Just placed the original holes did not use a template for placement which would be better using one of the slag coin templates for spacing of original holes and then build panel around that. and background is white instead of black ! )
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:29:51 am by JDFan »

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »
JDFAN:  Thanks!!! I think I got it........using the paintbrush and changing the px size made it easier than I thought.

Thanks again  :applaud:

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
So a typical HAPP button is 28.5mm....just measured with the bezel around the button and it comes down to 32mm all around(can someone confirm)?, so if I was to draw a layout to represent the button and it's bezel I would need it to be a circle of 32mm, which translates to 377 pixels I think.

Hmm...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »
or just make the circle then add a stroke to the layer
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »

:stupid

This is how I'd do it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

This is how I'd do it.

That's the only way to do it and have it perfect every time.  Double click your layer to go into layer effects, last menu is stroke.  If you need to stroke your strokes duplicate the layer, then merge those two layers - that rasterizes the stroke as a image layer rather than a layer effect.  Then you can stroke the stroke.  Stroke it outside.  Stroke it. 

Seriously, this stuff is super simple to do in Photoshop, just watch some tutorials. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Pf_HUn0wzWQ#t=187
Jump to 3:00 to get through the kid prattling on and on.  He uses smart objects to restroke but I like to create multiple layers so I can work with it through layering for different effects. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:08:37 pm by Le Chuck »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:24 pm »

This is how I'd do it.

Exactly. Create a circle from the Circle Shape tool, make sure it's a vector shape so that you can re-size it to anything you want without it getting blurry.   Add a stroke by double-clicking the layer to open up it's Style's properties -- the stroke is at the bottom of the list. *you can actually play around with the multiple style settings there, like adding an inner or outer glow, etc...you can achieve some pretty good results.

If you want, you can also set the fill value of the layer to 0, so that the only thing that is visible is the stroke. (note, Fill is not the same as Opacity. changing the opacity will change the transparency of everything associated with the layer. Fill only changes the transparency of the pixels or shapes within the layer).