Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retro emulators  (Read 4883 times)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Retro emulators
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
I just got Linux installed on a laptop, which was an adventure of its own.  The comp is working great though and I'm playing/experimenting with it.  Learning a new OS is interesting.  :censored:

Anyway, I'm wanting to install emulators (shocker, I know). 

I'm looking at the following:
NES / SNES /N64
Gameboy / Color / Advance
Sega Master System / Genesis / 32X
Playstation

Since I am totally new to the Linux ecosystem I googled around and found an emulator called Mednafen that appears to handle most of the systems I want.  I'm looking for opinions or recomendations on this emulator and perhaps others.  I'll be using the gamepad below for playing.

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Retro emulators
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:30:25 pm »
I have to check but I think my distro came with mupen or PJ 64 (I'm on my tablet)
You should probably check to see what's available in your distros software repository first.

90% of software for linux outside the Repo's will need to be compiled which can be easy or pita.
Very few linux apps supply binaries.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:32:17 am »
I just got Linux installed on a laptop, which was an adventure of its own.  The comp is working great though and I'm playing/experimenting with it.  Learning a new OS is interesting.  :censored:

Anyway, I'm wanting to install emulators (shocker, I know). 

I'm looking at the following:
NES / SNES /N64
Gameboy / Color / Advance
Sega Master System / Genesis / 32X
Playstation

Since I am totally new to the Linux ecosystem I googled around and found an emulator called Mednafen that appears to handle most of the systems I want.  I'm looking for opinions or recomendations on this emulator and perhaps others.  I'll be using the gamepad below for playing.

I have played with Mednafen a bit on my mac using Open EMU (experimental), I liked it but some back ground reading make it seem like a pain with out a gui. I would try the "cores" (emulators) Open EMU is using as they are all open, all seem to work well on my Mac and are all likely available for linux. 

What flavor of Linux are you running?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:37:48 am by Locke141 »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:21 pm »
I'm using Mint.  Originally tried straight Ubuntu but it choked and wouldn't boot.  Mint installed and booted without a hitch.  Didn't have any time this weekend to experiment though, remodeling the office!  Will report back after.

chillicrackers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2020, 02:36:20 am
  • Working on my second cabinet!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »
I've heard good things about Libretro and Retroarch (the UI for it).  It's an all-in-one kind of deal where you use different cores to emulate the different systems.  You can find out about it here.

There is also good information on what are considered the most capable emulators for various systems on this site.