Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sente Off The Wall quest...  (Read 10213 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Sente Off The Wall quest...
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:59:28 pm »
I have illustrator but I'm terrible at using it.. I need to be able to change colors to this logo from white to various other colors hopefully someone can vector it for me!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:37:18 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2015, 02:22:40 am
Re: Simple help... any one can vector / change colors to this logo please !
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:29 am »
 ;)
PDF file is in vector...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:22:32 am by Spinnhacker »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:57:07 pm »
OMG firstly...Amazing thank you so much.. hopefully other artwork help towards this project would be even more amazing if possible...

I happen to be on this SENTE kick where I really dig lots of the games and the line up, I currently have a dedicated Sente Sac1-b which can be seen on my website at www.guscade.com . I just recently finished Chicken Shift. Soon I'll eventually showcase my other sente cabinet which is a Sac-1a which is going to exclusively house my Snake Pit.

Those that don't know lots of the Artwork on the Sente stuff is really hard to find, I had scanned in majority of what I was able to obtain. However certain things I still want but at this point I think rather than hope one will miraculously show up it would be best to create custom albeit try to recreate from the original crappy images that I found on google. I plan on utilizing that Sente log that was vectorized for a few different things related to SENTE obviously... for one... check out the ROMs I just burned for the Sente game "Off The Wall" (keep in mind these were used good rom pulls but they have certainly seen lots of data over the years.. Also this was kinda a trial run idea I wanted to create some fun Rom Labels unfortunately my printer blows no matter how nice the files look):

The thing is the Game "Off The Wall" does have a dedicated marquee somewhere someone probably has it, but the best image of the marquee that will likely need to be recreated is this:

Another slightly blown up version but gets pixelated:

It's really hard to tell but looks like the outside of the marquee is black, bottom right has a bally/sente part number in white can't read that but not as important as of now because that would likely be hidden by marquee retainers / plastic holders any way. The outside ring appears to be red, followed by a slightly thicker blue, than red again, and than black. I count 10x tennis balls, and 6 tennis racquets which the face of the racquet are slightly tilted / the opposite side essentially gets mirrored.. It appears to have a tennis net as the background of the marquee. In addition to the Off The Wall Text.. as well as that SENTE logo. So I would love it if someone can recreate that marquee ! I can provide measurements of my other Sente marquees if that's needed they are a weird size.

The flyer is here :

I know this wheel logo for "OFF THE WALL" exists in hyperspin so not sure if that logo helps makes it easier to vector etc..

Now the CPO is entirely a different story all together absolutely no known photos of it exist... so that might need to be completely custom made with the flyer artwork etc or just imagination. I think and I'm not even sure but I think the control panel had 2 p1,p2 start buttons, 2 wico spinners, and 2 wico joysticks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:03:29 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:45 pm »
 :afro:

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »
HOLLY COW ! LOOKS SICK THUS FAR!!! again THANKS THANKS THANKS...Not sure if your planning on enhancing it / going to continue but I'm pretty sure the background should be like more of a grid / tennis net as opposed to straight lines, and needs the 6x tennis raquets as well as the 10x tennis balls, the tennis balls look like they have an ORANGE and YELLOW combo to them...& obviously the Sente logo. Also I think the bottom portion of the tennis net looks like a greenish stripe etc.. hopefully this can continue to get worked on / perfected a bit furthur... Again to reiterate the kinda bad news is I wish I had any type of reference to the control panel! I know it utilized 2 wico spinners (the ones with the red box like this -
and 2 wico joysticks (2-way), and obviously 2 p1 , p2 start atari cone type start buttons. I'm going to need to look through the .pdf manual on the Sente to see if it gives a wiriing diagram... I was able to successfully use a diagram for Snake Pit which had a trackball and a joystick so hopefully one is available for off the wall.

GOOD NEWS IS after testing the roms on a donor 14 slot cartridge the game is working which is great...

Gotta love the Original Concept by none other than Nolan Bushnell  :

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:15:52 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Re: Sente Off The Wall quest...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
also what about the scaling is that right or am I crazy ? ... I used an opacity to try to show you based on the size of the text that was chosen with the original marquee on top.. basically seems off.

Here is another example blowing up the original marquee to fit the red/blue rings best I can based on rotating / scaling the crappy original photo I'm trying to replicate.. it would appear that the text "Off The Wall" would need to increase in size (hope that makes sense) unless I'm wrong !?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:31:34 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »
Should be able to find the best images... :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:31:44 pm by Spinnhacker »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:06 pm »
Should be able to find the best images... :(

no need to be sad things looking stellar so far...OK really really nice improvement & on track!!! A few minor adjustments and it's looking really close to the original... & than I gotta worry about completely creating a control panel art being I have no images to base that off of... I do know the game uses 2 atari cone start buttons, 2x spinners, as well 2x 2-way joysticks.
LEFT PLAYER / RIGHT PLAYER more on that later as I have ideas but obviously want to have it flow and work with the marquee.

Getting back to the Off The Wall Marquee Some nit picking on my end, and again I really appreciate you spending the time and trying to tackle this project & again looks really awesome so far.. but if your willing to press on please do! I think again it's so hard to tell because the original marquee that was floating around on the net again is so blurry it's truly hard to detect the actual image. With that being said

-I think the background netting needs to be brought up to where the bottom red ring is of the upper red/blue/red ring area...Basically that minty green color should only be at the bottom portion of the net area.

-The black outside portion / border needs to be thicker.

-The white bally/sente logo that was already vectorized by you on the top of this post needs to be incorporated on the marquee which looks like it's centered on the mint green area in the original, but seems to be more of a space for the SENTE logo on the original thus the netting needs to be slightly (maybe half the size of those boxes / netting)brought up a bit.

-The actual dimensions / print  size of the legit marquee should be (basing this off another legit sente marquee I have)::
 22 2/16'' wide x 6 9/16'' height
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:52:46 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 04:07:08 am »
Small update ....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:06:58 am by Spinnhacker »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »
Keep it goin! !  :cheers:

Right now I'm going to need to start to fabricate a wire harness... I already have experience with the SENTE system so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out... I think it's going to be harder to find original wico spinners for it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:20:22 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 11:30:33 pm »
Awesome news.. It seems we finally have a much better source... scans to follow.... but this will certainly need to be cleaned up...

The bad news is the person who uploaded this extremely rare marquee claims that he has also never seen an off the wall control panel... thus it looks like that will likely need to be created. hopefully once I get the scans someone can vector now the proper better reference I feel bad but this was unexpected !
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 03:43:42 am »
Awesome news!!!

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 02:17:32 pm »
Awesome news!!!

I acquired the Scans and sent a PM... Hopefully your able to do it. If not perhaps someone else can properly trace / vector and clean up the original marquee.

Sample:

The next crucial step will be someone to create a custom control panel artwork to match / compliment the only source of art for this game which is so far the marquee. I do know that the control panel had a p1,p2 start button which were essentially atari cone like LED buttons. It also had 2x two way Wico joysticks.. And 2x Wico spinners or track wheels one per player. I would imagine a simple instruction text in the center, the words "swing raquet" or "left /right player swing raquet" then under the joystick it would respectively say "Move left player" or "Move Right Player" possibly with just arrows left/right since they are supposed to be 2-way restrictive joysticks. Bottom text would have the sente technologies copy right with date ... I did draw up a rough sketch hopefully someone can tackle this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:40:02 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:41 pm »
I finished ;D .... if you like I send the vector ;)

Nephasth

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »
Some Sente pron...

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
Some Sente pron...
nice I have a sac1-b sente cabinet as you have in that picture on my website www.guscade.com (chicken shift) I also have a dedicated sente sac1-a which is exclusively my Snake Pit. Your cabinet looks like it was converted to another game do you have any of the original hardware for sale?

I finished ;D .... if you like I send the vector ;)

Yes please kindly send me the vector file... Next up a custom Off The Wall CPO to match the marquee... Hope your up for that.. In 4-6hrs I'll post what I drew up on paper/pencil hopefully you can do something to that degree...
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Nephasth

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
Some Sente pron...
nice I have a sac1-b sente cabinet as you have in that picture on my website www.guscade.com (chicken shift) I also have a dedicated sente sac1-a which is exclusively my Snake Pit. Your cabinet looks like it was converted to another game do you have any of the original hardware for sale?

Yeah. It was converted to a neo geo a long time ago. Unfortunately no original hardware for sale, sorry.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »
Concept artwork for off the wall control panel...
Blue grid behind instruction text
Yellow instruction text
Dark green overall background
Outside black
Orange arrows by two way joystick?
Ring around track wheel / spinner with red/blue/black just like marquee
Two large tennis raquets crossing over each other
Out side ring similar to the colors found on the marquee red/blue/black
Text under joystick yellow
Player 1,player 2 logos in white
Bally/sente text on bottom white

*Instructions should read:::(I left one out)
1)  Insert Coin
2) Select One Player (Player Vs. Computer) or Two Player (Player Vs. Player)
3)  Select Skill Level
4) Use Two-way Joystick to Move Tennis Player
5) Use Trackwheel to Spin Raquet
6) Game Ends When First Player Reaches Eleven Points.

Also to note it should be tennis "racquet"... that's the proper spelling.

Size wise the actual legit SENTE control panels should be roughly 20'' wide x 8'' in Height

** The text that reads "Graphics, Computer Programming and Audio Visual Work © Bally Sente Inc., 1984" ....... should be below the outside ring in the black area of the control panel.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:41:50 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:16:17 pm »
I got the vector file for OTW marquee... Hopefully "Spinnhacker" can continue to aid me in creating the Off The Wall custom control panel, loosely based on my concept / combining elements from the original OTW marquee art above. I also sent him other Sente rare artwork perhaps he will work on that either way I can't express enough gratitude for the skill set that's involved with the art work... So again extending a big thank you to Spinnhacker.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Spinnhacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 04:39:37 am »
Here the vector! ... now beginning the cpo custom! ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:22:37 am by Spinnhacker »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 08:38:42 am »
Wow that rare sente "Goalie Ghost" CPO came out sick dude !! Can't wait to see the custom CPO for off the wall !! For those that don't know goalie ghost is a soccer game from the sente line up which to me if you took discs of tron and pong and threw it in a blender you get goalie ghost I recommend trying it out in mame. The game utilized a trackball to control the payer and a button as you can see on the lay out. I'm excited to see what Spinnhacker comes up with based on my concept for off the wall... When I started this thread I didn't intend on miraculously intend on getting the legit scan for off the wall marquee... Who knows perhaps the OTW CPO will eventually surface but until now absolutley no known images of it even exist.. Not even a blurry photo as a reference. I also didn't intend on branching out to other sente titles but since Spinnhacker is volunteering and his work is stellar ill continue to have him vector the rare sente stuff I have for the community / collectors in the future. Sente stuff is fairly rare so I'm willing to share my scans especially if spinnhackers willing to vectorize the artwork. I'll continue having him work on the sente stuff being not that many of it has been vectorized with the exception of "Snacks N Jackson". The sente line up was really great and perhaps this will give it more exposure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:44:42 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:47 pm »
I did actually finish building the wire harness for this game just about / it's working with an arkanoid spinner as of now which is fine because all of the pinouts on both the wico trackwheels / taito spinners are the same (which utilizes the 4-pin molex). I temporarily borrowed the inside wire harness from a wico trackball which had a 6-pin connector molex that gets plugged directly into the SENTE trackball/spinner interface card.. That connector has an 8 pin molex directly from the harness, GROUND, +5,-12,+12,PCAN4,PCAN5,PCAN6,PCAN7... or up,down,left,right however you want to view it. Inside of the wico trackball you have (yellow, green,black, red) as well as (purple,blue,black, red) The BLACK is obviously ground, and RED is +5volts... The yellow and green are respectively up/down i think doesnt really matter so long as you group them together.... where as the other spinner would get purple/blue+ground+5v which would be left/right although in this case spin the tennis racquets for both players separately. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone. I still need or would like to own the original WICO Trackwheel which was housed in the red plastic , this spinner / trackwheel was also used on Gottliebs Mad Planets... It's been suggested and possibly already in the works that part (the wico trackwheels) will soon be reproduced. Bottom line is the harness is basically built / tested and proof that it works as it should. Ideally I would like to see the control panel concept that I drew up come to fruition. Hopefully Spinnhacker is working on it. 

Below is a photo of an original SENTE trackball/ or in this case spinner interface card that properly converts the signal... if anyone needed the pinout the sente manual for certain titles are rather vauge so for myself and others in the future it's:

1 pc an4
2 +12vdc
3 pc an5
4 -12 vdc
5 pc an6
6 pc an7
7 ground
8 +5vdc

Now if you notice to the right you see a 6-pin molex... that's what it out puts the signal to... not in the right order but:
Ground,+5v,up,down,left,right. To reiterate from above post from that 6-pin you can basically daisy chain the ground and +5v... the green/yellow get placed on one of the spinners and purple/blue on the other... creating 2x mini 4-pin molex connectors or 1ea per spinner. I'll probably label a more in-depth diagram (the 6-pin molex) etc at some point to help any one crazy enough in the future that gets into sente. Not to mention the OFF the Wall harness which plugs into the main sente harness molex connectors also has i think it was 17/18 wires collectively... more on that later.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:27:02 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

CossackWarrior

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 12:28:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:59 am »
Guys, I found this stash of Sente parts which includes original Goalie Ghost, Snake Pit, and Snacks'n Jaxson control panels in really amazing condition, posted up on KLOV as well:

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
Still to this day the Sente Off The Wall control panel wasn't found... this is turning into a "Bouncer".
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

buttons

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2017, 08:09:47 am
  • Currently restoring Sente Off the Wall
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 04:46:37 am »
Hi, I am new to this forum and I registered because of this thread. I have finally found a Sente SAC-1B cabinet and I'm restoring/converting it to Off The Wall!  :)
It had been converted to Blasteroids, but it still has a Gimme A Break marquee. I would be very thankful if anyone of you would share the vectorized Off The Wall marquee with me.  :)