Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone liking Raspberry Pi running RetroPie for older console and MAME?  (Read 21747 times)

BorgDog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
That sounds awesome nitogen!  I just got my Pi2 and loaded it up with the720k's build, but have not had much time to play.  the big thing I'm looking for is I want to put this in a vertical cab.  Will attractmode do vertical in this setup?  The other think I would love to do is get StephanBurger's mod to have it run the servo as well to switch form 4 to 8 way.  So basically I want it all  :cheers:
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
That sounds awesome nitogen!  I just got my Pi2 and loaded it up with the720k's build, but have not had much time to play.  the big thing I'm looking for is I want to put this in a vertical cab.  Will attractmode do vertical in this setup?  The other think I would love to do is get StephanBurger's mod to have it run the servo as well to switch form 4 to 8 way.  So basically I want it all  :cheers:

My first test on a RPI 1 with 256mb of ram and attract mode.

Attract mode does have an ultrastick360 plugin that can probably be tweaked.
i'm not sure how those joysticks connect to the PC though.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
Cool, glad to see vertical will work.

The joystick is a ggg Omni2 that I plan to hook a standard servo up to and use the Pi gpio to control, which I know the Pi can do, just not how to tie into it from Attract Mode.  Lots of reading to do, little bits here and there and I only understand a small portion of it..  :dunno
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
That's great Nitro,

Where ever I look for interesting ways to use a R-pi in a cab you seem to be posting ideas ands solving problems. :applaud:

Your setup seems to take the best idea super light distro, retropi, atractmode, GPIO controles and power down all rolledl into one. With a SD imeges like yours it's hard to think of a resion to ever use a 60 in 1.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:03:18 am by Locke141 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Piplay is the only usable software out there in my opinion that is operable in a cabinet.  Also have the benefit of the device being mounted behind the monitor, reduces cabling and access problems.  It also plays nice with the kade.

I got it all working last night, even though the other emulators in Piplay didn't work properly, I can always go back to the GameStick.  If it wasn't for the original pi (that was not being used ever), I would not have a chance of a quicker solution, other than android.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:39:56 am by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
Retropie works fine in cabinets also Using it in my bartop. The only reason I switched from PiPlay was a problem with the Stella emulator video screen size. Never found a fix for it, so I abandoned it as I wanted Atari 2600 emulation also. They both are great setups though.

Navyplanets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2016, 08:52:29 pm
I'd just like to add my input- not sure if this is a problem with the Pi or not, but I plugged some headphones into the audio port and got atrocious sound on NES games, at least.
Anyone else have any experience with this?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
I'd just like to add my input- not sure if this is a problem with the Pi or not, but I plugged some headphones into the audio port and got atrocious sound on NES games, at least.
Depending on the exact model of Pi, this is a well known problem.  If you run Raspi-config and kick your overclock settings up by a single notch, that should fix it.  You won't need heatsinks  with that level of overclock either.

Navyplanets

• Offline Offline
Depending on the exact model of Pi, this is a well known problem.  If you run Raspi-config and kick your overclock settings up by a single notch, that should fix it.  You won't need heatsinks  with that level of overclock either.
Ah, thanks - Sorry I forgot to specify, but I have the original Model B, so that's probably the problem. Thanks!

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
Yes, the NES can have poor audio depending on your setup, don't seem to have any issues with the other emulators I use. If you have extra programs running in the background, the NES audio is even worse. I use wifi dongles on my Pi setups, and if I ssh into the system while the NES emulator is running, it messes with the sound also. The Pi 2 also made a difference for me, in fact I am replacing one of my Pi 1's with a Pi 2 this weekend for this very reason.

Navyplanets

• Offline Offline
Right- I'm back again with more problems. I solved the sound issue, but I can't seem to get Retropie to copy my ROMs to the SD card. I'm using a USB stick.
Still have the same Model B, and as of yet I can't edit the usbmount.conf at all. I've tried, but it just disappears after maybe half a second.
Has anyone else had these problems, and how did you fix them?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
I just installed the samba server & transferred my roms over my home network.
It's the easiest way for me.

The usb transfer thing never worked for me.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:37 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Have to go into the terminal and manually mount the USB drive, unfortunately.

Once you've done it, it's easier but the concept was alien to me at first.

Navyplanets

• Offline Offline
Have to go into the terminal and manually mount the USB drive, unfortunately.

Once you've done it, it's easier but the concept was alien to me at first.

Well, for now i'm just gonna transfer them one-by-one, curse you raspberry pi/linux