Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 15 new Taito Type X / X2 games now working on domestic PC's  (Read 121418 times)

Turnarcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
Re: 15 new Taito Type X / X2 games now working on domestic PC's
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »
OK, any advice on commonly available cards around the same power and price that you can say do work?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:01 am »
I don't feel very comfortable giving a reccomendation to be honest.  We know that the wrapper doesn't work for some setups and we know that some cards have trouble with rotation, but everything is so sketchy that we don't really know with 100% certainty what the cause it. 

I could tell you the name of a card, you buy it and then you still run into the problem becuase it has to do with your OS or some errant driver or what have you.

I would suggest you play with it a bit more first and figure out exactly what is causing the issue. 

Try this:

1. In the dxwnd folder, edit the path0 entry in the ini file to point to the game you are trying to launch.  Go ahead and start dxwnd and keep it running. 
2.  Rotate the screen.  Using Irotate or your video cards drivers
3.  launch the game not with the wrapper, but the batch file that game with it. 

It won't be resized right or anything, but it should go ahead and load without error.  If that's the case then your setup has problem with the wrapper. Adjusting the delay in the cfg file might help as it's probably a timing issue.  If not then you have something odd going on with your hardware/software. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:24:55 am by Howard_Casto »

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2012, 09:32:04 pm »
I've given up for now on Taito Type X because I simply can't get it going with my frontend. I've got no problem losing out on the vertical games for now (simply none of the methods work so I may have to try a different graphics card) but I would at least like to have the horizontal games working, as there are some great fighters in there. I have finally managed to make a video showing some of my recent problems, but if if you skip to around the 12.50 minute mark the last couple of minutes I demonstrate and try to describe the issues I'm having when trying to tie this system into the frontend, as it works just fine from Windows with no issues (a couple of games still won't run, but hey ho). If you can shed any light on this Howard (or anyone!) I'd love to hear your suggestions:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:33:41 pm by Turnarcades »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2012, 09:36:04 am »
Finally got a chance to see your video.  I've seen that issue before.

Are you launching the games from within your FE via a batch file?

What Fe are you using?

I can't give you specifics without knowing that but let me explain what I think it is anyway.

typex_loader is not a persistant exe, and by that I mean it doesn't run the whole time the game is running.  It quite literally loads the game, swapping out the memory addresses of inputs so that it's actually playable. 

Most FE's freeze themselves and wait until the app launched exits before they come back.  Well guess what?  Be it via a batch file or directly via command line, what you launched was typex_loader, and it exited almost instantly.  So your fe is still active in the background. 

So we need to make an exe that will stay open until the games exit. 

The easiest way would be to make a ahk (auto hot key) script for each game and compile it.  Now you'll need the game's title bar captions, but here is an example script:

------------------------------------------------------
RunWait typex_loader game.exe,,Hide
Sleep 5000 ;We want to give the game a few seconds to load before we monitor it.
WinWaitClose Blaz Blue
------------------------------------------------------

All this is doing is making a false exe that'll stay running until the game closes, giving your FE something to monitor.  Obviously I tested this one on Blaz Blue, replace that bit with the caption of the game you want to launch.

To get captions for games, just press alt+tab while they are running and read what it says in the taskbar.  Ahk has some fuzzy logic to search for windows, but for best results make sure the caption is exact.

One of the nice things about this method is once you compile the exe, you can give it a nice icon and the game will essentially be like a pc game. 

I hope that helps!

*edit*  Adding a hide command hides that unsightly prompt when the loader is first launched.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:41:25 am by Howard_Casto »

pyract

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2023, 03:13:34 pm
    • Pyractyc N-Axticide
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »
Thanks for this method, it works great! (except Raiden IV). One question: When I try to get the caption for Trouble Witches AC, its just random symbols. I tried using those symbols in the ahk script and it didn't work. Any ideas?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:10 pm »
Use the class name instead.  You can specify the class instead of the title like so:

WinWaitClose ahk_class classname

Where classname is the class name of your window. 

Also I made a arcana heart wrapper becuase it's controls are all messed up.  Mind you my site is broken so you can't get to it, but it should be floating about in the ether somewhere. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
Hm... iRotate works in Cabinet but vertical games wont rotate :( I'm on windows 64 bit, ati 4350. any idea what could cause this?

finbarqs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2012, 03:29:27 pm
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »
I cannot get the network to work. I set one in slave, the other in master, and it'll say "master not found" But when they are both in master it says "Another master has been detected"

brenny872

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2012, 01:27:15 am
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2012, 01:03:42 am »
My question is how do you find the game.exe files to play the games or is it like mame where you download them and then play them/

The Big Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2015, 01:00:05 pm
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2015, 03:13:38 pm »
Hey Howard! I realize that there hasn't been a post on this thread for a long time but I didn't want to start a new thread in-case information ended up being duplicated.

You've managed to help me in the past so I'm hoping you can again.

I've came rather late to the Taito type x party but I have some of the games working with slight issues more notably Intro/WMV sequences, as I've noted earlier on in the thread some games eg SFIV hang/crash while playing the intro, my issue is different in that on my rig it skips the intro and the game works flawlessly(although I also note that this may affect the character endings from playing). I've tried the dll file you provided with your wrapper but this actually breaks the game giving me an exception error in the dll library, My rig has win 7 on it which I guess is the root of the problem as the games were designed for xp, I reckon its a directx problem(although saying that I can play the WMV files outside of the games in media player). The reason I think that it is a directx error is because the dll file located in the game directory(d3dx9_36.dll) is correct me if I'm wrong a Directx 9 file, so maybe my win 7 system is missing some directx 9 files? I can't understand why the movies in the games will play in media player but not ingame when they are called by the code, any ideas?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2015, 01:44:18 pm »
Update DirectX (yes, on windows 7 not all files are present) then remove directx dll files from games folders. Try run games again.

The Big Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2015, 01:00:05 pm
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2015, 07:01:44 am »
Show I install dirextx9.0c?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac