Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Little Bastard - a mini rotating display bartop - DONE! 3-8-2015  (Read 13921 times)

BorgDog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
I've been planning on doing a second bartop to fill in some of the gaps in games I like to play, and recently picked up one of the 7"Winbook windows tablets for $60.  After playing with it a bit thought it could be made into a nice little mini bartop, and to go one step further it's going to have an automatic rotating display.  I've been asking questions around, have parts ordered, and been working on a sketchup model.  I will be going the direct drive servo route such as byancey did on his here.

The shape is based off the Zaxxon/Super Zaxxon cabaret cabinet, fairly simple, but not like everything else out there.

So here is the front view, single player, dual joystick, yes a button top ball joystick because... Battlezone

Here is the side view showing the theme of the cab, artwork still a work in progress, but k.i.s.s. is what I'm going for.

A 3/4 rear cutaway view showing the rough design for the tablet mount and rotating bezel piece.  Will be a round bezel behind the front rectangular one.

And finally a overview shot.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:48:24 pm by BorgDog »
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Little Bastard - a mini rotating display bartop
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:02:01 pm »
That looks pretty fun.  Imma watchin. 

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:26:41 pm »
Damn, another good project idea for one of those tablets. This does look fun.

Do you know what you are going to use for a button ball top?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:54 pm »
Haven't totally figured out the button ball top yet.  Paradise Arcade Shop has some hollow shafts for various joysticks and they use them in their lighted joysticks.  They also had a thread to gauge interest in making one a while back but it doesn't look like there was enough interest to go anywhere.  I need to reach out to them and see what we can work out.  I've been pretty happy with the Zippyy I have so would likely go similar.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:42 pm »
Question for the peeps.  does anyone see a reason for more than the 2 buttons I have on there?  I may be able to squeeze a third on there, and maybe a 4th if I stack them tight.  What will I be missing out on?  This is going to be setup with dual 8-way joysticks, my other machine is setup for 4-way. 
My Projects:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:55:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:07 pm »
Question for the peeps.  does anyone see a reason for more than the 2 buttons I have on there?  I may be able to squeeze a third on there, and maybe a 4th if I stack them tight.  What will I be missing out on?  This is going to be setup with dual 8-way joysticks, my other machine is setup for 4-way.
A quick review of the dual joystick (2/4/8-way digital, not analog) games list here yields only four with more than 1 button:

* Assault -- 2 buttons

* Cyber Troopers: Virtual On -- 4 buttons per player

* Sarge -- 2 buttons per player

* Vindicators -- 4 buttons per player

Scott

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:52:19 pm »
Haven't totally figured out the button ball top yet.  Paradise Arcade Shop has some hollow shafts for various joysticks and they use them in their lighted joysticks.  They also had a thread to gauge interest in making one a while back but it doesn't look like there was enough interest to go anywhere.  I need to reach out to them and see what we can work out.  I've been pretty happy with the Zippyy I have so would likely go similar.

I have a vested interest since I have a project that has been brewing in my brain that needs a couple button ball tops. The wico command control was mentioned in that thread, and that is what I was considering. I have the bat top version and I can say it is the highest quality home joystick I have ever used. It might be worth buying an old one off of ebay and experimenting with hacking it. I wouldn't be surprised if the shaft diameter is the same as many commercial sticks, and could possibly be placed into a different base. I am not willing to open up my joystick, but could measure the diameter of the shaft on my bat top if you are interested, at least if there is enough of the metal shart exposed for me to measure it.

I wonder how well it would match up to a commercial wico stick or a groovy leaf? If you like leaf sticks, that might be a route to take.

jugger18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2020, 09:58:30 am
  • Time to make a bitchen man cave
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:51 pm »

I have a vested interest since I have a project that has been brewing in my brain that needs a couple button ball tops. The wico command control was mentioned in that thread, and that is what I was considering. I have the bat top version and I can say it is the highest quality home joystick I have ever used. It might be worth buying an old one off of ebay and experimenting with hacking it. I wouldn't be surprised if the shaft diameter is the same as many commercial sticks, and could possibly be placed into a different base. I am not willing to open up my joystick, but could measure the diameter of the shaft on my bat top if you are interested, at least if there is enough of the metal shart exposed for me to measure it.

I wonder how well it would match up to a commercial wico stick or a groovy leaf? If you like leaf sticks, that might be a route to take.

Bad mexican food?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:17:18 pm »
A quick review of the dual joystick (2/4/8-way digital, not analog) games list here yields only four with more than 1 button:

* Assault -- 2 buttons

* Cyber Troopers: Virtual On -- 4 buttons per player

* Sarge -- 2 buttons per player

* Vindicators -- 4 buttons per player

Scott

Thanks for the list Scott.  I was more thinking of single stick 8-way games as I do plan on running Zaxxon, Xevious, 1943 etc on here as well.  Will I really just miss out of the fighting games of which I never really played much?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:25:56 pm by BorgDog »
My Projects:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »

hmm, looked on ebay, lots of the bat top ones, only a few ball top, and quite a bit more mone for the ball top.  Might be an option.
My Projects:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:31:04 pm »
Yeah, i looked too, 40's a little hefty for a used joystick. Amazon has a new in box one for about the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004G47GGM/

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:39 pm »
Progress update.  Been doing some work getting things going on this.  I've been happy with my zippyy joystick in M.Y. Arcade so decided to just go with a pair of those and a hollow shaft from Paradise to put the button in one.  I kinda of liked the stained wood look in jaharr01's recent Lil Woody project so decided to incorporate a little bit of that as well.  Just getting started on the wiring, and you may also see in the second pic that I also did my first attempt with t-molding, 1/2" in this case, pretty easy to work with and the router table made it easy for a small project to cut the slot.  The monitor rotating mechanism is setup and working, and I have most of the parts made, but since it is fairly small I am wiring what I can before I do assembly.

More updates in the coming days as I work on wiring.
My Projects:

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:49:10 am »

I loves me a rotating monitor. but of course I'm biased  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 11:34:40 am »
Evidently I'm still not good at taking progress pics.  Attached are a couple I found showing the monitor/tablet setup.  Parts are from:

Servocity
  • HS-485HB Servo Product 33485S
  • Hub Servo Shaft Combo Product 525122
  • 1/2 inch Bore Flat Bearing Mount Product 535118

Pololu
  • #1350 Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller

In the assembled attachement you can sort of see how it is put together.  The aluminum plate that is attached to the servo shaft sandwiches the tablet with wood spacers to the round 5mm plywood bezel (back side shown).  Hope that makes sense.
My Projects:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 11:49:39 am »
Personally (especially if it's 8-way) I'd go for 3 buttons.  But only because I play Shoot-em-Ups (Shmups).  One of my favorites is ESP Ra De and that uses 3 buttons.

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 12:39:45 pm »
3 would be a tough fit unless I switched to smaller buttons, but technically it does have 3, one is just on top of the joystick, and they are both setup as 8-way. I don't do much in the shumps category, mostly older games, closest would be zaxxon, xevious, and the 1942 etc which I believe all just use 2 buttons or even just 1 for zaxxon.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:41:25 pm by BorgDog »
My Projects:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:22 pm »
This is looking like another great build.

I know people get tiered of all the bar top builds but your's go about things in a different way. This one looks particularly interesting.

Just got my winbook 7". What versions of Mame are you running?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 11:21:54 pm »
Thanks Locke.  I honestly probably enjoy designing them in sketchup and building them more than playing them, well maybe not more, but I just plain enjoy making things.

I haven't done a lot of mame playing, just verified that it runs a few games, but i believe I'm running .156 or .154.  I should be able to tell more how it runs this weekend when I hopefully get the controls hooked up.  Also using MaLa as the frontend and DaOld Man's StartCom plugin to handle the rotation calls.
My Projects:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:02 am »
Looking good borg.
I thought about using my winbook in a rotating mode, you beat me to it.  :notworthy:
It is amazing that the rotating monitor technology has come so far on this hobby.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 10:34:58 am »
I honestly probably enjoy designing them in sketchup and building them more than playing them, well maybe not more, but I just plain enjoy making things.

That what keeps some of us coming back to do more builds. I have 3 projects that I'm just need the time to start. Keep up the good work.

johnrt

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:52 am »
What a nice little bartop!  :applaud: I'm looking forward to further progress in this thread.

Skrathe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 12:54:05 pm
  • If only I had a shop.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 02:33:05 pm »
What method did you use to transfer the arrogant bastard logos?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »
Well, after I finished putting the satin clear over the stain I thought of using the ink jet transfer method which would have been cool, maybe next time.

Instead this is just a simple print on full sheet "clear" Avery labels which are actually more translucent.  Using the same sheets for my simple printed marquee, print mirrored stick on back of plexi.  I actually like the effect, kind of a weathered/aged look on the wood, probably not for everyone though. 
My Projects:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
Let there be light..
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
Did some more wiring after work today and couldn't resist slapping in the marquee and lighting it up temporarily.  Turned out better than I thought, pretty chuffed (if I'm using that word right)  :cheers:  Just a cheap led strip off ebay or amazon I forget which, and a spare 12v power brick that will also feed my little amp.

My Projects:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 12:02:38 am »
 :cheers:

I like the graphics a lot!  This build is looking good, but it is getting the Ass Pony's song of the same name irrevocably stuck in my head.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 12:03:20 am »
Great looking build.
I love the black, white & red artwork against the stained side. That looks awesome.
nice job

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Let there be light..
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 12:16:45 am »
Did some more wiring after work today and couldn't resist slapping in the marquee and lighting it up temporarily.  Turned out better than I thought, pretty chuffed (if I'm using that word right)  :cheers:  Just a cheap led strip off ebay or amazon I forget which, and a spare 12v power brick that will also feed my little amp.

You used chuffed right, my brother!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 07:41:44 am »

Is it just me seeing this?

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:31 am »

That's pretty funny, don't know how you remembered that been way to long since I've seen that to remember those details.
My Projects:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:32 am »
:cheers:

I like the graphics a lot!  This build is looking good, but it is getting the Ass Pony's song of the same name irrevocably stuck in my head.

Ha! Thanks.  I'd never heard that song before, at least I know what music to use if I make a build video  :cheers:
My Projects:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:32 am »

"I SAID GOOD DAY!!!!"
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 11:54:17 pm »
Getting closer. 

Still to do:
    shorten some wires
    arrange all wires inside the cabinet
    put sound system inside the cabinet
    put bottom on cabinet (doing all wiring through removable bottom)
    make and put back on cabinet
    add more games and configure to work with controls
    fix light leak around edge of marquee  :banghead:
    fix hole patches on cp and repaint that section, was going to do overlay, not now
    other things I'm sure  :lol

The only way so far I've figured out how to make this winbook not shutdown completely so I have to open the cab and press the power button is to leave it plugged in always.  I did think that might be a possibility so I wired a switch into the supply for the marquee and amp seperate from the switch to turn the whole cab off.  the bios has very limited options and nothing for power settings and windows 8.1 puts it into hibernate if the battery gets to low, and it will after a week or so in sleep.  The buttons, hooked to a minimus avr, do wake it up from sleep which I have it set to go into at 10 minutes or something.  I really don't want to bust open the tablet to try and wire in a power switch but that may be the only other option.  :dunno

Any way here are a couple quick pics, I'll get some better ones and a video of the monitor rotating when I get it more complete.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:57:40 am by BorgDog »
My Projects:

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:06 am »
What an awesome little bartop !

Can't wait to watch the vid of the rotating screen !   :applaud: :applaud:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »
Hey Borg, since you're still working on putting the audio inside, have you considered using this mini-amp to save some space?  It's relatively cheap at $6.78 with free shipping.  Seems like a good fit!   :applaud:

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Amplifier-Digital-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00C4N410G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TAJRYJ2J87ZN8QKHQXY

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 10:22:57 pm »
What an awesome little bartop !

Can't wait to watch the vid of the rotating screen !   :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks! Just finishing up a few little things, maybe by the end of the week I'll have the video.

Hey Borg, since you're still working on putting the audio inside, have you considered using this mini-amp to save some space?  It's relatively cheap at $6.78 with free shipping.  Seems like a good fit!   :applaud:

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Amplifier-Digital-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00C4N410G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TAJRYJ2J87ZN8QKHQXY

I saw that one but decided to go with the 12v version instead.  I have both 12v and 5v wall warts in the bastard, and wasn't sure I wanted to mess with the 5v which feeds the servo or the 5v that powers the tablet either, but the 12v was just feeding the led strip so I figured it could handle the audio as well.  as a side bonus the 12v didn't need soldering  :cheers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4LB57A

the damn tablet doesn't always want to wake up using the buttons attached to the minimus avr using KADE loader, but always does on the wireless K400 keyboard I have hooked up to the same usb hub.  darn annoying.  so I'm testing out a hacked apart corded mouse to just add a little button to press to wake it up, so far works every time.
My Projects:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
Re: Little Bastard - a mini rotating display tabletop
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

The last needed part ordered has arrived!

The ever important volume control knob is here and installed!  Came in a 10 pack though, guess I have 9 more projects to use them up  :cheers:

Also here is a pic with the back door open, volume knob in lower right corner, guts in the middle.

Pretty close to calling it done, will shoot a short vid and post it up after the weekend.  I've been playing a fair amount of older games on it, Battlezone, Raiden, Xevious, Macross, Crazy Climber, Moon Patrol, Robotron, etc and everything seems to run just fine.  Haven't done any tweaking of settings or anything, just running Mame .156 and Mala 1.74, works fine for me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:37:26 pm by BorgDog »
My Projects:

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 12:14:37 am »
Man, you are on a roll with these bartops! This is really cool! Nice job  :applaud:

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:53 pm »
Man, you are on a roll with these bartops! This is really cool! Nice job  :applaud:

Thanks man, I appreciate it. 

I'm officially calling it done.  May someday make some upgrades or make the finish nicer, but for now, this is it.  This is also the last one for a while, have some "real" projects I need to get done.

here is some pictures, labeled with obviousness:

Front

Sides

Back Closed

Back with door opened and stuff labeled

And just for fun here is a really poor quality video. Mostly the still pics but a short rotating demo, some music, transitions, and a bonus feature at the end.

My Projects:

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Little Bastard - a mini rotating display bartop - DONE! 3-8-2015
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »
Love the BeerDeLier at the end!  Good job.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
Re: Little Bastard - a mini rotating display bartop - DONE! 3-8-2015
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 12:03:43 am »
Cool!  :applaud: