Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Controller Possibility  (Read 2335 times)

cmileski24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:50:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Controller Possibility
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:57:33 am »
I am currently re-designing our downstairs that is going to include 80’s arcade games built on the MAME system. I know I can get configurable controllers to operate the games. There is one game in particular that I have a challenge with. It is the 80’s arcade game, John Elway Quarterback. There is a Lever that you pull back and release to throw the ball in the game. The lever pulled back displays an arrow that you use to target a receiver. The normal MAME controllers will handle everything but this. What options do i have? I have attached a PDF of what the engineering diagrams look like for the lever. It is highlighted in blue.  Just want to see how I can get this functionality in a current form. Thanks so much and look forward to your response.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Controller Possibility
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:20:23 pm »
Welcome aboard, Cmileski24.   ;D

You'll need an analog encoder like the one in KADESTICK (see sig.) and an analog joystick like this or similar. (Amazon is currently out-of-stock on the one I used in KADESTICK.)

Just tried John Elway's Team Quarterback (teamqb) with the KADESTICK and it works if you quickly push the stick forward far enough to trigger a pass. (Never played on a dedicated machine so I'm not sure how it compares.  :dunno)

Be sure to clear all the the "analog dec" and "analog inc" inputs (press Enter then ESC to set each one to "none") so the 8-way joystick commands don't overlap with the analog joystick inputs.

You might be able to remove the Y-axis centering springs from the analog joystick and use just one spring to pull the stick forward as shown in your diagram or calibrate the stick in windows so that the encoder thinks that the stick is forward when centered.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:22:00 pm by PL1 »

cmileski24

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »
Scott,
thanks so much for the response and info. Help me understand. Will the Kadestick interact with another controller? I.E. can I hook up a standard controller that works with MAME and then input the Kadestick into that as well?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:17:27 pm »
Scott,
thanks so much for the response and info. Help me understand. Will the Kadestick interact with another controller? I.E. can I hook up a standard controller that works with MAME and then input the Kadestick into that as well?
KADESTICK shows up as an analog HID joystick. (analog/gamepad-style encoder)

For testing the game, I used KADESTICK along with a Mini-Pac controller. (keyboard-style encoder)

Any gamepad-style encoder works well with any keyboard-style encoder as long as you remap MAME controls so they don't point to inputs on both encoders that you want to use for separate functions. (i.e. MAME P1B1 defaults include Left-Ctrl and Joy1Button0)

If you try to use two gamepad-style encoders, you might run into problems with Windows reassigning joystick numbers -- if that happens, check out Drventure's ControllerRemap for Mame.

Scott
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:20:29 pm by PL1 »

cmileski24

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:34:34 am »
Scott,
Once again, thanks so much for your input and help. I looked at the Mini-Pac interface. Tell me if I'm right here:

I remove the serial connector from the Analog controller and rewire it to the mini-pac and then the mini-pac connects via usb to the computer?

Thanks so much...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:01:47 pm »
I looked at the Mini-Pac interface. Tell me if I'm right here:

I remove the serial connector from the Analog controller and rewire it to the mini-pac and then the mini-pac connects via usb to the computer?
Actually, you don't wire them to each other.

The Mini-Pac connects to the computer via a USB A cable.

KADESTICK connects to the computer via a USB A cable.

Plug both USB cables into USB ports (or a USB hub) just like you would a keyboard (keyboard encoder) and mouse. (optical encoder)

Scott