Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.  (Read 198371 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.
« Reply #720 on: February 28, 2021, 02:25:44 am »
Finally got my Xstation mod’d PS1 back.

Works really well, Played everything I have tried on it so far without issues and is much much easier to setup than the PSIO.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #721 on: February 28, 2021, 06:39:07 pm »
Nice, Does turbo graphic tools look expensive. Did you pick one up at the store something?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #722 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:14 pm »
Clone everdrives of the turbo-everdrive can be had from our favorite Chinese auction site for $30.   Non-working pce duos are around $150 on ebay and a cap kit to fix them is next to nothing.   Gamepads are like gold.... usually 50 bucks for an original used or 25 for the hyperkin repro.  Because of this try to find a bundle with a gamepad included.  If you want rgb they have a decent rgb kit on ebay for around 30 and you'll have to buy the correct connector separately for about 5.    If you don't care about the cd drive a pce unit is around 50 bucks.   The 'merican side of that console is super high though... you are going to pay 200-250 just for a complete tg16 (no cd) and a turbo duo or cd add-on will be 300+

pbj's was mostly complete and working and I think he paid 180 minus the power adapter and extra gamepad.    I paid 160 for mine and they threw in a few games BUT it is in dire need of a cap kit that unfortunately is taking it's sweet time shipping.   I'll give a report of how hard it is to recap once I've done it.   

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #723 on: March 01, 2021, 07:52:38 pm »
I bought a used Turbo-16 in the 90s on the cheep at the local video game shop. Since then I bought a RGB out And a knock off ever drive from China. I want to play the four player dungeon crawler but it’s never gonna happen on the OG, Three more remote to cost a lot.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #724 on: March 02, 2021, 12:30:27 pm »
I wish I could find a pce for 50 bucks. 90 is about the cheapest I ever see on ebay. That does include a controller, though.

I'm lucky that I never played on an original console. If there are emulator issues, I certainly can't tell.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:43:03 am by KenToad »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #725 on: March 03, 2021, 03:06:17 am »
There were three for 40 bucks just a couple of weeks ago.  I mean that was no controller or nothing, but still, fairly cheap.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #726 on: March 03, 2021, 03:13:50 am »
I have never seen one even close to that over here.
Well not the last few years anyways.

If I did find one I would prob pic it up but I have no real nostalgia for it so just play it on Mister or Emulation or whatever heh.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #727 on: March 05, 2021, 01:16:42 am »
Ok so my cap kit came in a couple of days ago.   Installing the cap kit was time consuming due to jerry rigging those surface mount pads to work with regular caps.   In addition either the boards are too delicate or I was too rough removing the old caps (I used the nipper method of cutting them off) because I broke a few traces and had to find and repair them.   Prepping the board and installing the kit probably took four hours.   I spent two afternoons finding my mistakes though.   I would say that if you shine a flashlight under each cap pad once you've removed the old one to check for bad traces the whole process isn't difficult except for two or three caps that are butted right against the cd rom connector.   That's why I didn't attempt to de-solder btw.....plastic and heat don't mix. 

I've had similar results to pbj.... everdrive works great.... no complaints other than the stupid top they snap on the board that just gets in the way. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:19:30 am by Howard_Casto »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #728 on: March 06, 2021, 08:27:24 am »
Plan on modern my Wii today.

Any thoughts on wireless GameCube remote options. I like that these shipped from the US the the price seem reasonable. I may just get 4, $16.91/ea.

Thoughts?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #729 on: March 06, 2021, 04:18:50 pm »
Yeah as good as the wavebird was, it had the fatal flaw of no rumble support.   I would try to find a third party wireless pad with rumble myself. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #730 on: March 06, 2021, 05:32:15 pm »
I would just spring for the wavebird or buy extension cables, if you're sitting far away. But, I tend to avoid 3rd party controllers.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #731 on: March 06, 2021, 05:41:01 pm »
I have more than enough Nintendo branded GC wired controllers for GC. I'm just thinking with my kids wireless is generally better. But now I'm thinking about it, I would want them to rumble. I'll look into these wavebird. At the end of the day, I think I need one or two rumble and remotes.

Thanks guys

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #732 on: March 07, 2021, 12:14:40 am »
The wavebird is amazing. It has the two main flaws of not having rumble (as Howard mentioned) and also not turning off automatically, which may be an issue with kids not remembering to turn it off. Under normal circumstances, the batteries in it seem to last forever, though.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #733 on: March 07, 2021, 09:30:13 am »
The wavebird is amazing. It has the two main flaws of not having rumble (as Howard mentioned) and also not turning off automatically, which may be an issue with kids not remembering to turn it off. Under normal circumstances, the batteries in it seem to last forever, though.

I love my Wavebird. The batteries do seem to last forever. I use rechargeable AA’s and always have a fresh set to swap in when needed. I also bought the adapter below so I can use it on my N64. It even has a controller pack that lets you save games on it. This was the only wireless option for N64 until recently.

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter_v3_with_builtin_controller_pak/index.php

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #734 on: March 07, 2021, 01:01:09 pm »
Wow! That adapter looks really nice. Does it support rumble through a wired gamecube controller?

I really like the original N64 controller, though, and the sticks on my controllers are fine, so I've never felt the need to look for alternatives. I just bought extension cords for those few times a year when we play multiplayer N64.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #735 on: March 07, 2021, 05:23:21 pm »
Wow! That adapter looks really nice. Does it support rumble through a wired gamecube controller?

I really like the original N64 controller, though, and the sticks on my controllers are fine, so I've never felt the need to look for alternatives. I just bought extension cords for those few times a year when we play multiplayer N64.
You like the N64 controller!?
Are you mad!? LOL.

I got a few of the Retrofighters ones for my N64.

I have replaced the sticks in my originals so they are tight but the Retrofighters ones are much better!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #736 on: March 07, 2021, 05:35:14 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry the N64 controller is great.   I have no idea why people complain about it.   My only guess is maybe they didn't have a n64 growing up and thus weren't forced to sit down and learn how to hold/use it properly.   Having separate grips for the dpad and analog stick actually makes it a good all-around pad for fighters like MKT and analogue games like Mario 64 and the like.   

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #737 on: March 07, 2021, 09:27:41 pm »

Unfortunately I don’t have a wired one to test that on. I converted my original controller to USB so I could use it with emulators.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #738 on: March 08, 2021, 02:59:23 am »

You like the N64 controller!?
Are you mad!? LOL.

I got a few of the Retrofighters ones for my N64.

I have replaced the sticks in my originals so they are tight but the Retrofighters ones are much better!
I thought that the N64 controller design was genius at the time, given that I expected arcade perfect ports of Street Fighter to start rolling in at any moment. In the end, we got basically no hit games that utilized the d-pad and left shoulder button.
The biggest flaw is that it doesn't have a second analog stick and unfortunately that can't be corrected.
I want to try them, but I don't think the retrofighters controllers would feel right to me. I'm too accustomed to having the z-trigger in that unusual, but somehow perfect spot under the middle prong.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #739 on: March 08, 2021, 03:04:03 am »
Oh dont get me wrong, From a ergonomics POV they are excellent controllers.

But those sticks are utter garbage!
They are literally built to fail and destroy themselves!

The fact I have had to replace all of my original controllers sticks and repaired a few to is all the evidence you need of that!

I look after my stuff but the 64 stick is literally designed to tear itself up.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #740 on: March 08, 2021, 08:14:29 am »
I haven't had that problem at all, but I know what you're talking about. I do have two original light gray sticks that are somewhat loose, but I have five four other N64 controllers (in colors) that are in great shape. I had always assumed that it was people playing Mario party and abusing their hands and the sticks, not that they were built to fail.

I've had both stick and button failure with multiple dual shock 2's. They are also designed in such a way that they are almost impossible for us mere mortals to repair. I have had similar problems with dual shock 3's. For me, Sony products aren't built to fail, just built cheaply.

All my ps1 controllers (and xbox 360 controllers) have held up really well, though.

*Edit* I'm attaching a photo of two dualshock 2's and I dualshock 3 that I tried and failed to repair and my 6 N64 controllers. The light gray ones work, but one has a wobbly stick and the other one has a stick that doesn't move perfectly smoothly.

I've had a ridiculous run of luck with PS2 controllers. I had so many with issues that I started labeling them according to their defects, so that you could play a game that doesn't require whatever is broken, if needed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:44:35 am by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #741 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:44 am »
Just for the fun of it, here's a photo of my current console setup, with the pedestal/workstation unintentionally in the reflection. The PS1 has an Xstation (unbelievably awesome, btw) because the disc drive went bad. The PS2 is my fourth and the only fully working PS2 (2 slims and an older PS2 with Ilink port have died).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:45:15 am by KenToad »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #742 on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:06 am »
See I have never broken a single PS2 or 3 controller.
PS4 controllers on the other hand....

But as for N64 sticks this is the inside of the last one I replaced.....

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #743 on: March 08, 2021, 02:16:20 pm »
That's pretty crazy. Is that from a controller you bought new? We played a ton of N64 back in the day and never had an analog stick issue. All of my controllers now are second hand, but, as I said, only one of the analog sticks has less than acceptable action to the point that I would consider it unusable. Maybe I'll open it up one of these days to see if it looks like yours.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2021, 02:34:03 pm »
That's pretty crazy. Is that from a controller you bought new? We played a ton of N64 back in the day and never had an analog stick issue. All of my controllers now are second hand, but, as I said, only one of the analog sticks has less than acceptable action to the point that I would consider it unusable. Maybe I'll open it up one of these days to see if it looks like yours.

Yup from new.

Like I said they are built to fail.

The problem with them is the way they are designed its all plastic on plastic friction.
You have a plastic stick, sat in a plastic cradle (the black bits you can just about see in the pic LOL) inside a plastic bowl.

So basically as you move it around it slowly wears away the plastic from the bowl to a point where it no longer has a nice smooth bowl and you actually end up with a deeper hole than you should LOL.
I have sort of temp fixed them in the past by filling the gaps with epoxy and sanding it down then putting a little bit of lube in to.

But now I would just change the whole stick assembley as you can easily buy them from Zedlabs.

Should last years now as I normally use the retro fighters one instead :P

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #745 on: March 08, 2021, 04:05:09 pm »
I've still got my original controllers and they probably got a solid 5 years of daily use when we'd play goldeneye and mario kart 64.   I really think it comes down to if they've been abused on smash or mario party or not.   We rarely touched those games. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #746 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:07 pm »
Wow, I think you could still buy replacement parts for the game cube controller’s.

Anyway, I got my Wii hacked. When I was doing a bunch of original Xbox, I got caught up in setting up one hard drive and then just grounded for the other ones to give away to friends and family. The modern is very easy the organizing and transferring files is always a bit of a pain in the butt. This time I got my hands on a hard drive and as card with most of the work done. Is it much similar experience.

Essentially I’m hacked a wii So my kids can do a bunch of movement and exercise games during the lockdown.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:43 pm »
Got my PS1Digital installed into the old PS1.  This, plus the X-station makes for the greatest combo mods for this great system.

I was big into PS1 when it came out, and having the native console be able to output HDMI is incredible!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #748 on: March 08, 2021, 10:03:41 pm »
That’s sexy, how hard was that mod?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #749 on: March 08, 2021, 11:01:34 pm »
It’s an advanced mod. Not one a beginner or intermediate modder should take on. Requires soldering a few ribbon cables to the surface mount QFP’s.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #750 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:28 am »
Dang man... that looks hard.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #751 on: March 09, 2021, 01:43:07 am »
I have been connecting mine up via OSSC but still struggling to get a nice picture on PS1.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #752 on: March 09, 2021, 07:17:26 am »
I have an OSSC all wired and initially tested. Would say I’m an intermediate solderer. I have to actually activate it, they go a little bit overboard with their copyright protection. Ironic as they were literally A product of bypasses other copyright protection. My medical situation slowed me down and put a lot of projects on hold. Getting better now and picking things back up.

Think I might try reaching out to one of the companies that sell knock off‘s of OSSC and try to order one of their pre-Configured SD cards. The biggest complaint with OSSC he seems to be reconfiguring files.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #753 on: March 09, 2021, 10:10:15 am »
I have my PS1 hooked up through S-video and composite into a combined video switcher with one of those cheap Amazon cables that has both connections and a PS multi out connector. IIRC, Joe from Gamesack mentioned that you could get the better picture from S-video and not lose the ability to use the Guncon through composite by using one of those cables and it really does work well. I thought that I'd share that information here, just in case anybody else is still using composite just for the Guncon.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #754 on: March 09, 2021, 01:31:41 pm »
I have my PS1 hooked up through S-video and composite into a combined video switcher with one of those cheap Amazon cables that has both connections and a PS multi out connector. IIRC, Joe from Gamesack mentioned that you could get the better picture from S-video and not lose the ability to use the Guncon through composite by using one of those cables and it really does work well. I thought that I'd share that information here, just in case anybody else is still using composite just for the Guncon.

Good to know. I kind of want to get a Sony PlayStation 1 RAD2X cable. but I'm in no rush.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SONY-PLAYSTATION-HD-RAD2X-CABLE?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #755 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:40 pm »
For anyone interested I used the OSSC to hook my PS1 up to a capture card for a video I did for my channel the other week.

I am far from happy with the results ATM but I still need to work out the best settings for PS1 with it.
I later found out PS1 is one of the worst consoles to get running nicely with it LOL

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #756 on: March 09, 2021, 04:05:59 pm »

Good to know. I kind of want to get a Sony PlayStation 1 RAD2X cable. but I'm in no rush.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SONY-PLAYSTATION-HD-RAD2X-CABLE?tracking=5543fb4c077bb
I had the PS1 RAD2X cable.  It's not that great. Mainly because the PS1 doesn't put out that great of an RGB signal.  Especially for games that are putting out strictly interlaced video. Image quality is really rough. Plus you have to use the cumbersome usb power connected to this. The other RAD2X's don't require an external power source.
Out of them all, the best are the Saturn and MegaDrive/PC-Engine versions.  Those systems put-out really clean video signals that gets converted by the RAD2X.  I haven't had a chance to grab the SNES one yet, i'm waiting for them to get back in stock, so I can't comment on the quality.
I like these cables though, they're nice for travel if you wanted to bring your console to a friend's or family's place.  No need to deal with an extra unit for upscaling. They just plug in and go.  Only downside is you gotta make sure the TV you're connecting to will take 480p over HDMI. 

For anyone interested I used the OSSC to hook my PS1 up to a capture card for a video I did for my channel the other week.

I am far from happy with the results ATM but I still need to work out the best settings for PS1 with it.
I later found out PS1 is one of the worst consoles to get running nicely with it LOL

I was using my OSSC before, and it worked fine for the most part. But there are a lot of problem games on the PS1 that the OSSC does not like.  Again, games with interlace signals only. 
Also, the handshaking on screen changes from 240p to 480i would take up to 5-8 secs sometimes.  Totally annoying.
Games like Chrono Cross, or Dino Crisis use 480i for their pause menus, so when the res switches the OSSC freaks out and takes a little bit to get the signal back.  What's really nice about the PS1Digital is the settings that fix this issue. 

Instant switching, no "handshaking":

This is one of the biggest advantages of the PS1Digital.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #757 on: March 09, 2021, 04:23:42 pm »
Yeah the PS1 digital looks fantastic.
I just cant justify the cost of it though asI normally play mine via SCART on CRT.
It only gets hooked up to HDMI when screen capturing.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #758 on: March 09, 2021, 04:38:59 pm »
I just cant justify the cost of it though asI normally play mine via SCART on CRT.
Yeah, screen capturing that 8-sec handshake too. ;)

FWIW, just like the DC Digital, adding this mod to your systems does not remove the analog out.  You can actually run both the analog and digital at the same time.  I'll be doing that on stream tonight, playing Gradius Gaiden and R-type Delta.  Analog will be outputting to my cabinet, while Digital will be going into the capture card.  :cheers:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2021, 12:29:05 am »
Yeah, screen capturing that 8-sec handshake too. ;)

FWIW, just like the DC Digital, adding this mod to your systems does not remove the analog out.  You can actually run both the analog and digital at the same time.  I'll be doing that on stream tonight, playing Gradius Gaiden and R-type Delta.  Analog will be outputting to my cabinet, while Digital will be going into the capture card.  :cheers:
Ahh cool.
Defo worth considering at some point :)